What bicycle to get?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stupid question - do all road bikes come on thin tyres? I always liked the stability of a more "off-road" width of tyre.

They do - you can generally get slightly thicker tyres for them, but the clearance between the forks and the rear stays only allows you to go so big. It's very easy to get used to them - after a few rides, you'll find you're perfectly stable with no wobbles...makes riding (on the road) much more enjoyable.

You can buy "cyclocross" bikes which have a road bike-y geometry, but with thicker tyres (allowing you to do road and a more rough ground (like canal paths etc) with relative ease. Still gives you less friction than a really chunky/nobbly MTB tyre and a stiffer frame (with no suspension) so you're not losing any power there.

All depends what you want to use it for really.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Stupid question - do all road bikes come on thin tyres? I always liked the stability of a more "off-road" width of tyre.

Yes and no. They vary in width from 18-28mm but even the widest ones are still very thin compared to hybrid or off road bikes. Dependant on the with of the frame and forks, you may be able to fit wider hybrid type tyres or even go for a cyclocross bike.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You can buy "cyclocross" bikes which have a road bike-y geometry, but with thicker tyres (allowing you to do road and a more rough ground (like canal paths etc) with relative ease. Still gives you less friction than a really chunky/nobbly MTB tyre and a stiffer frame (with no suspension) so you're not losing any power there.
Also most times an easier option for mudguards.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
They do - you can generally get slightly thicker tyres for them, but the clearance between the forks and the rear stays only allows you to go so big. It's very easy to get used to them - after a few rides, you'll find you're perfectly stable with no wobbles...makes riding (on the road) much more enjoyable.

All depends what you want to use it for really.

Commuting in roads and cycle paths with the odd bumpy track and cobble (that's York for you!) plus the odd longer ride for fitness but not too often.

I want something quite light with a good stable tyre so wider that a road bike. Is a hybrid the best bet?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Commuting in roads and cycle paths with the odd bumpy track and cobble (that's York for you!) plus the odd longer ride for fitness but not too often.

I want something quite light with a good stable tyre so wider that a road bike. Is a hybrid the best bet?

You're actually an ideal candidate for a "Gravel Bike".

jaymays

Hacker
Visit site
I love my new
Beiou BOCBM05A Carbon Fiber Complete MTB Bike.

Features are follows:

Carbon Fiber Bicycle
Full Suspension

Works great on pavement and I've taken it on a few easy mountain bike trails. Had this bike put together by a professional. He had never even heard of this brand. He said it was meant for Europe as the brakes were reversed. Was impressed with the quality, so am I, GREAT BIKE!

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What did you go with in the end up?

I prefer to buy my road bikes second hand as I can always get a much better specced bike at a fraction of the cost.

You can always buy a less specced bike and upgrade parts in time, when you get more experience, there's no point spending lots just now and then realising it's just not for you.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
What did you go with in the end up?

I prefer to buy my road bikes second hand as I can always get a much better specced bike at a fraction of the cost.

You can always buy a less specced bike and upgrade parts in time, when you get more experience, there's no point spending lots just now and then realising it's just not for you.

I'm going to my local shop sometime soon and going to get a hybrid of sorts for the commute to work. Using the cycle to work scheme so I'll get a bike worth about £350 for around £250.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm going to my local shop sometime soon and going to get a hybrid of sorts for the commute to work. Using the cycle to work scheme so I'll get a bike worth about £350 for around £250.

TBH, if you are just using it for short rides to work, something specific to that is prob best. Mudguards, thicker Tyres and a more upright geometry.

if you enjoy it and want to take it further with a proper road bike, that Wulls advice SH bargains to be had, after all cyclists are very much like Golfers as in there is always something newer on the market and a lot of guys upgrade regularly.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
TBH, if you are just using it for short rides to work, something specific to that is prob best. Mudguards, thicker Tyres and a more upright geometry.

if you enjoy it and want to take it further with a proper road bike, that Wulls advice SH bargains to be had, after all cyclists are very much like Golfers as in there is always something newer on the market and a lot of guys upgrade regularly.

You're right - all I want is something comfy that can do reasonable pace on open roads without being "fast".

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nice.

I'm thinking of going single gear, possibly fixed wheel. I like the purity of the design. No cables, no levers, just neat and tidy.

It's not like I don't have a lot of bikes already, but I don't have a fixie, or a unicycle.