What are your clubs comp scores like under the new system?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a rule about the number of cards handed in to be considered for winning a board competition. This may well act as a deterrent but it also admits that there is some instability in the system initially.
I think new starters are all over the place and can shoot very high, but a little common sense and some control could see them shoot reasonable scores, the system will pick it up and cut them far quicker ... what we will see is a lot of low handicap players , who won’t win much, because actually they are not that good or good enough to out perform their peers, but will sit in the corner of every club house or forum muttering about the system and improving players who wish to get to their level and will eventually do the same ... it’s just the same old **** just a different day ...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played in a board comp of Saturday and one of our three won it. A five under nett 67 off 12. He simply played steady; no unlucky breaks; holed some excellent putts and didn’t miss any shorties. No banditry involved. He just had his good day.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I keep agreeing with Phil.... I am off for a lie down! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bideford Bay Open in July... I can pretty work out what to do to add several shots to my handicap before then. If I chose to. Trouble is, there are plenty who will.

I am reminded that one of the reasons for the WHS was to encourage more people to take up the game... and if they spent the Spring signing for net 55s and picking up lots of swag, that is working well! :)

Basically agree . I don't see how the system can stop the manipulation alluded to here.
Also, speaking for a friend, I'm sure it can also be embarrassing if you have been given a much bigger handicap by WHS and then win as a result.!

Which leads me to thoughts about handicaps. Why have them at all?
As far as I'm aware , sports like squash and tennis etc don't.
They have "divisions", don't they?.
Suppose a golf club had Divisions instead and you got promoted/ relegated as the results came in each year.?
If you play against other clubs, you play against the appropriate division...

These are initial thoughts. Haven't addressed Opens etc?

Just throwing it open for discussion really?
But of "outside the box " stuff which might not stand up.?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At our place we had a 27 capper shoot 86 for a net 59
Once did a nett 59 (3 over gross) in a comp...when off 16. I played well enough to on or around green - just that when I got there I holed everything that I got on the green and got up and down in 2 from everywhere else. And no bad breaks/ bad luck whatsoever. For my sins I was instantly cut to 13. Haven’t scored anything anywhere near that since - and that was over 30yrs ago...

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I was 2nd last week with 41 points, winner had 42.

Where I only have 8 cards in the HC has jumped around a little bit, but with each round hopefully it will keep dropping

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically agree . I don't see how the system can stop the manipulation alluded to here.
Also, speaking for a friend, I'm sure it can also be embarrassing if you have been given a much bigger handicap by WHS and then win as a result.!

Which leads me to thoughts about handicaps. Why have them at all?
As far as I'm aware , sports like squash and tennis etc don't.
They have "divisions", don't they?.
Suppose a golf club had Divisions instead and you got promoted/ relegated as the results came in each year.?
If you play against other clubs, you play against the appropriate division...

These are initial thoughts. Haven't addressed Opens etc?

Just throwing it open for discussion really?
But of "outside the box " stuff which might not stand up.?
While I can see merit in this.
The divisions would need to be monitored.
The difference between a 12 and 18 cap is quite big. With 54 handicaps how many shots would separate the best and worst in each division.?
Promotion and relegation , sounds a bit complicated.
But it would level the field between players if they played off scratch in their own division.

The handicap system has worked well for a very long time.
But it’s now like the PL they are messing with it to much

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The system is only as good as the integrity of the people using it - it seems it’s far easier for players to manipulate handicaps than from the previous system

Our winner from the weekend with a net 60 was given 7 shots when the system moved to WHS from his Congu HC because it didn’t play in many comps. So whilst it will catch up with them before that there are going to be a lot of comps won with stupid scores because it seems the implementation of the handicaps has multiple issues.

And it’s not going to take long before people are going to start limping in cards to remove good scores from their “20” .

This Imo is going to get worse before it gets better - if it does get better , already heard people talking about not bothering with comps.

But he’s now also played every day for the last 9/12ish months rather than the once a month he did before.....

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a 31 handicap win the singles qualifying stoke event with a net 64 then no surprise won the first stableford event with a 44.

Been chopped to 21. The singles wasnt qualifying but his handicap should have been adjusted as hes a new young golfer.

Recorded no higher than a 7 over 2 rounds. That's not the scoring of a 31 handicapper.

Why set it up as a non-Q in the first place?!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
While I can see merit in this.
The divisions would need to be monitored.
The difference between a 12 and 18 cap is quite big. With 54 handicaps how many shots would separate the best and worst in each division.?
Promotion and relegation , sounds a bit complicated.
But it would level the field between players if they played off scratch in their own division.

The handicap system has worked well for a very long time.
But it’s now like the PL they are messing with it to much

Last sentence - yes.
54 handicaps are ridiculous really. Those guys would be in the lowest div.
Promoting and relegating would give you something to aim for.
You say 12 and 18 are a long way away. MAYbe, but then similar gaps are within the football leagues as well. How many of the top six in premier league do you expect to see in bottom six in next 5 years?
Won't come about in golf , can't see wHS being abandoned, but some club might be brave enough to try it one day?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last sentence - yes.
54 handicaps are ridiculous really. Those guys would be in the lowest div.
Promoting and relegating would give you something to aim for.
You say 12 and 18 are a long way away. MAYbe, but then similar gaps are within the football leagues as well. How many of the top six in premier league do you expect to see in bottom six in next 5 years?
Won't come about in golf , can't see wHS being abandoned, but some club might be brave enough to try it one day?
Yes like a ESL go on their own.
But some clubs already do that and are not affiliated so why not.

Ridgeman

Visit site
I did many many years ago when I was off 17 have a scratch 74 in a minor comp. Basically everything was regulation golf. Two on the green two putts for most of it. I had the final of a competition the next day and clearly someone had swopped over my clubs during the night as I couldn't play for toffee. Never come close to doing it again. Its so annoying as somewhere in there I am able to play golf far better than I do each week.