What are your clubs comp scores like under the new system?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've been playing the stableford comps on our shorter Ashludie course so that's what I've been keeping an eye on score wise - we only have one division on that course although we have three divisions for the comps on the Medal.

The last four comps on the Ashludie have been won with 38 points and there's been a range of handicap winners from teens to cat one - the one before those was won with 42 by a three handicapper who shot a gross 66.

I had a look at our handicap list and we've only got half a dozen members over the old handicap limit of 28 - we've actually got a lot more + handicappers than over 28.

D

Deleted member 3432

48 points off 13 won yesterday's yellow tee Stableford.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
2nd silver comp of the year won by a high handicap double the amount to the whole of last year already. 9 out of 10 last year won by low handicaps. So I suppose WHS changes have levelled things

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First main ‘board comp’ was held on Saturday - a handicap medal format - and last time I looked a nett 63 (9 under) was leading. Will have to check final leaderboard to confirm.

I also note my experience of having now put a few WHS counting rounds in - the most recent being that comp on Sat when I scored 10 over.

Under the old system I was able to hold on to my 8 handicap pretty well as I was good at playing to the buffer zone...so 10 over at worst. Under WHS my HI started at 8.4 and it has now drifted out to 9.0. That HI gives me CH and PH of 10 - and that is probably a much better indication of my golfing ability than my previous 8 Handicap. And reflecting honestly - there is much to be said for it was me thinking it great to be able to call myself a single figure handicapper when in fact my play didn’t actually merit it.

And so a bit of self honesty and humility has me admitting I haven’t really been a single figure player for a couple of years. It I can be once again...just got to get my new bats working for me ??

D

Deleted member 3432

Interesting that the 2 lowest nett scores yesterday in our Club Champs qualifying were by 28 and 19 handicappers.

It must have been flat calm as the course off the Blue tees is usually way too difficult for high handicappers.

Ridgeman

Visit site
There is a lot of high handicaps winning locally. Lets put it this way, there is a plus 5 player locally. They would have had to score a scratch 53 to win yesterday.

D

Deleted member 15344

A net 60 in a medal today from someone who was playing off 15 before WHS - his WHS is 22 ?!?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just new members with new h/caps coming in with some silly scores but WHS applies very severe adjustments. All is a massive improvement on CONGU.
Our efficient H/cap team sorted those that had H/caps transferred inaccurately from CON to WHS.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
48 points off 13 won yesterday's yellow tee Stableford.
I had just about that (44 off a genuine 14) a long time ago - on my way down to 7 by the end of the same season, so not 'unheard of'. Seems to me that too many 'outstanding' scores are being 'blamed' on WHS - though I'm pretty sure that there will be quite a few (and genuine) 'outstanding' ones registered because of it!

D

Deleted member 3432

I had just about that (44 off a genuine 14) a long time ago - on my way down to 7 by the end of the same season, so not 'unheard of'. Seems to me that too many 'outstanding' scores are being 'blamed' on WHS - though I'm pretty sure that there will be quite a few (and genuine) 'outstanding' ones registered because of it!

Huge difference between 48 and 44 points off those handicaps.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Huge difference between 48 and 44 points off those handicaps.
Er...How so? I think the 'huge difference' is 4/5! Not 'huge' at all imo. And Yellow Tees can make a big difference to scores at that level too - even with the reduced CR!
In my last comp at my club in Scotland (before returning 'darn sarf') I shot 1 over off 9 - and was disappointed not to score better! I didn't win either (2nd), as someone DID score more points and there were several low guys who shot under Par. Benign conditions on a Links course can do that!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I agree with Saving par on this one, 44 to 48, is a big jump. 44 is where I would consider the ceiling for someone on a major improvement trail having a great round that is maybe a once in a lifetime score. 48 is a shot better on half the holes on the back nine, when your already having a once in a lifetime round!!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just new members with new h/caps coming in with some silly scores but WHS applies very severe adjustments. All is a massive improvement on CONGU.
Our efficient H/cap team sorted those that had H/caps transferred inaccurately from CON to WHS.

I agree it's a good system if people put in cards on a regular basis Dave. Our clubs issue right now is that we have guys who only come out for the big prizes (maybe 6/7 cards per year) and they don't and won't put cards in inbetween, as such they have a better chance of winning until WHS finally catches up with them. Not sure how clubs are managing this and be interested to hear your thoughts on how Wyke are handling it ?

I'm not banging the low handicap drum, but at the weekend a 29 handicapper won (rightly now cut to 17) and I was chatting to a guy (+2 h/cap) in the bar who would have had to shoot a gross 59 to win.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I agree it's a good system if people put in cards on a regular basis Dave. Our clubs issue right now is that we have guys who only come out for the big prizes (maybe 6/7 cards per year) and they don't and won't put cards in inbetween, as such they have a disproportionate chance of winning until WHS finally catches up with them. Not sure how clubs are managing this and be interested to hear your thoughts on how Wyke are handling it ?

I'm not banging the low handicap drum, but at the weekend a 29 handicapper won (rightly now cut to 17) and I was chatting to a guy (+2 h/cap) in the bar who would have had to shoot a gross 59 to win.

The system is only as good as the integrity of the people using it - it seems it’s far easier for players to manipulate handicaps than from the previous system

Our winner from the weekend with a net 60 was given 7 shots when the system moved to WHS from his Congu HC because it didn’t play in many comps. So whilst it will catch up with them before that there are going to be a lot of comps won with stupid scores because it seems the implementation of the handicaps has multiple issues.

And it’s not going to take long before people are going to start limping in cards to remove good scores from their “20” .

This Imo is going to get worse before it gets better - if it does get better , already heard people talking about not bothering with comps.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I keep agreeing with Phil.... I am off for a lie down! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bideford Bay Open in July... I can pretty work out what to do to add several shots to my handicap before then. If I chose to. Trouble is, there are plenty who will.

I am reminded that one of the reasons for the WHS was to encourage more people to take up the game... and if they spent the Spring signing for net 55s and picking up lots of swag, that is working well! :)

Last edited: