What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of comments here about not repairing pitch marks, but one thing that gets my goat is the number of people (I reckon it's actually the majority) who diligently repair them INCORRECTLY :mad:

I find this hard to believe. Do people actually not know how to repair a pitchmark?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find this hard to believe. Do people actually not know how to repair a pitchmark?
I'll hold my hands up. When I started playing golf I just copied what I saw others doing, repairer in, lift up the indent by pulling it up and back. It was only via a thread on here that I saw the correct way, that did no damage. The incorrect method repairs the dent so people do it thinking it is okay.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll hold my hands up. When I started playing golf I just copied what I saw others doing, repairer in, lift up the indent by pulling it up and back. It was only via a thread on here that I saw the correct way, that did no damage. The incorrect method repairs the dent so people do it thinking it is okay.
I usually give it a few stabs and a poke and make it five times worse. (y)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
people who refuse to play their shot because "the group in front are still in range" even though the group are 250 yards in front, and said player is lucky to hit more than 150 with any club in their bag. so you wait for five minutes for the group in front to finish, then the player duffs it about 20 yards.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
people who refuse to play their shot because "the group in front are still in range" even though the group are 250 yards in front, and said player is lucky to hit more than 150 with any club in their bag. so you wait for five minutes for the group in front to finish, then the player duffs it about 20 yards.

Yesterday I was in the same situation, group on the tee behind getting annoyed, waving there hands about. I waved them to play up to me whilst I was waiting for the green to clear on a par 5. They got to the bunker behind me and were pretty rude that I was still waiting for the green to clear. I didn't rise to it, but people should mind their own business. I'd rather spend 5 minutes in the sun waiting than accidentally killing someone.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 13.21.24.png

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its a golfing paradox.
Wait for the green to clear. Duff the shot.
Go whilst there is someone on the green. Hit it flush.

Even if you can't quite reach its courtesy to wait. People don't want balls landing 20 or 30 yards away when putting out. Its quite off putting.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I was in the same situation, group on the tee behind getting annoyed, waving there hands about. I waved them to play up to me whilst I was waiting for the green to clear on a par 5. They got to the bunker behind me and were pretty rude that I was still waiting for the green to clear. I didn't rise to it, but people should mind their own business. I'd rather spend 5 minutes in the sun waiting than accidentally killing someone.

View attachment 36272
My BiL hits a big ball, I don't. When we used to play together I would often take my second shot, walk back to his ball and wait for the green to clear. He would sometimes feel the pressure of people coming up behind us and take the shot. That then led to an angry confrontation with the group in front who didn't like a ball flying through them, understandably. Moral of the story, know how far you hit and stick to your guns. I agree with Rudebhouys post, that would be like me waiting on your 2nd shot when it would be delusional at best, and yours.

sunshine

Visit site
Its a golfing paradox.

Even if you can't quite reach its courtesy to wait. People don't want balls landing 20 or 30 yards away when putting out. Its quite off putting.

Every
Single
Time

sunshine

Visit site
Moaning.

Moaning about the game. Moaning about the pace of play. Moaning about the course. About the greenkeepers. About the weather. About other members. About life. Moaning. Moaning. Moaning. Moaning about everything.

Maybe get another hobby and let us happier folk enjoy what little time we have.

:ROFLMAO: so true.

But the irony of moaning about moaners... this forum would be completely empty if people couldn't have a moan!

sunshine

Visit site
My biggest irritations:

1. Unrepaired pitch marks. Especially at times over the last year (like now) when the course has been members only.

2. Not making any effort to smooth over the sand in bunkers. As above.

sunshine

Visit site
3. People who officiously police other groups / players. Favourite phrases from these people include:

"I can see that chap 500 yards away is talking on his phone!"
"A one ball has no status on the course."
"Shirts should be tucked in at all times."

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 36272
I'm with you. I don't hit the ball particularly far, but at this time of year with the fairways drying out and temperatures getting warmer, I've hit plenty 10 or 20 yards longer than I thought I would. No point risking it for the sake of one minute off your round. And particularly in your situation, they don't have a clue how far you're likely to hit it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its a golfing paradox.

agreed. my point was about people who, even if they hit their best shot, would still be 100 yards behind the group in front