What are you drinking tonight?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Cool. Thank you. I've been a lover of Islay malts since I stayed there in my early 20s. Until a few months ago I had half a dozen bottles on the go. Now the cupboard is bare and they are all a lot more £££ than they were 10 years ago. You used to even occasionally see Lagavulin 16yo on offer in the supermarket for under £30. Now it's £75.
Smokehead looks like a bargain at £25.

It is. (y)

Waitrose currently have Laphroaig Select on offer at £25. I'd describe it as marginally smoother & less peaty than the standard 10yo Laphroaig, and a very nice Islay whisky.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...ingle-malt-scotch-whisky/755908-381392-381393

Waitrose also have Talisker Skye at £25 (from £42, bit polite for me, prefer Storm or Dark Storm) and Jura Journey at £23 (normally £35), Jura Rum Cask Finish at £28 (from £38) and Highland Park Viking Scars at £27 (from £35) if you fancy some different island offerings.

Lagavulin is shown as £76.50 at Waitrose :eek::eek: Personally for that money I'd rather have 3 bottles of Laphroaig Select, an Ardbeg 10yo or An Oa & a Laphroaig Select, or an Ardbeg Uigeadial & change or an Ardbeg Corryvreckan at £80. I'd also avoid Ardbeg Wee Beastie like the plague, rough as for me. Lagavulin has never lived up to its hype for me. But as White Horse's chief distiller once said, there's no bad malts, just different ones. ;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It is. (y)

Waitrose currently have Laphroaig Select on offer at £25. I'd describe it as marginally smoother & less peaty than the standard 10yo Laphroaig, and a very nice Islay whisky.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...ingle-malt-scotch-whisky/755908-381392-381393

Waitrose also have Talisker Skye at £25 (from £42, bit polite for me, prefer Storm or Dark Storm) and Jura Journey at £23 (normally £35), Jura Rum Cask Finish at £28 (from £38) and Highland Park Viking Scars at £27 (from £35) if you fancy some different island offerings.

Lagavulin is shown as £76.50 at Waitrose :eek::eek: Personally for that money I'd rather have 3 bottles of Laphroaig Select, an Ardbeg 10yo or An Oa & a Laphroaig Select, or an Ardbeg Uigeadial & change or an Ardbeg Corryvreckan at £80. I'd also avoid Ardbeg Wee Beastie like the plague, rough as for me. Lagavulin has never lived up to its hype for me. But as White Horse's chief distiller once said, there's no bad malts, just different ones. ;)

That Ardbeg Corryvreckan is the ultimate smokey/ peaty ,
Quite like wee beastie too, as you say not quite as refined, but nothing wrong with a bit of rough occasionally, vicar ??

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

RichA

Visit site
It is. (y)

Lagavulin is my favourite but I'm not paying that much.
Laphroaig 10yo has always been my go to whisky, but I'll give Smokehead a go. ?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a BBQ with the wife and her mum and dad. Sitting on the patio now and the in-laws have just left so have cracked open a bottle of rum that I got for my 60th a month ago. Kirk and Sweeney Reserva from the Dominican. Lovely and smooth. Might be late up for working at home tomorrow. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Brought an Arbelour triple cask back from A recent trip for a pal. €38. He seemed chuffed with that.
Me I treated myself to a Philippines rum Don Papa Maakara, again at €38. Will try the rum when I have no grandkids For the night

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went in out wine merchant on Saturday, no flower and the bee, so was recommended something that was just in. Granbazan Albarino.

Very nice drop a bit stronger flavour wise than most others I've tried.

RichA

Visit site
A rare evening out for dinner at some old friends. Taking a bottle of Terre di Faiano organic Primitivo, a bottle of Tesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet and a small box of Moretti, which I've never actually tried.
I expect I'll be forced to share.