What are you drinking tonight?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Do they have their own distillery or is it linked to one of the others? The website doesn't really give much away.

It’s made by Ian Macleod distillers from an unspecified distillery on Islay
However, those in the know reckon Smokehead Islay single malt whisky is young Caol Ila finished in Ardbeg casks.

All I know is it’s really nice ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Do they have their own distillery or is it linked to one of the others? The website doesn't really give much away.

It's bottled by Ian MacLeod from casks bought from other distilleries. The general consensus amongst those who think they know is that it is an Ardbeg, possibly matured in Caol Ila casks or blended with Caol Ila. I have a little experience in the matter ;) and I would say there is definitely a healthy dose of South coast Islay in it which means Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's bottled by Ian MacLeod from casks bought from other distilleries. The general consensus amongst those who think they know is that it is an Ardbeg, possibly matured in Caol Ila casks or blended with Caol Ila. I have a little experience in the matter ;) and I would say there is definitely a healthy dose of South coast Islay in it which means Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

Is this a travel brochure?

Blue in Munich

Visit site

I thought BIM’s last 3 words were tropical diseases

Phillistine. :mad:

RRidges

Visit site
Have you tried The Malt Whisky Society in Holborn?
I went occasionally when living and working in London.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Have you tried The Malt Whisky Society in Holborn?
I went occasionally when living and working in London.

I believe a friend of mine was a member and took me there once; the bottles are numbered rather than named if I've got the right place, tartan armchairs, old brick building; is that the one?

RRidges

Visit site
I believe a friend of mine was a member and took me there once; the bottles are numbered rather than named if I've got the right place, tartan armchairs, old brick building; is that the one?
Not sure about the decor, but the numbered bottles rings a bell. They bought and had bottled individual barrels from various distilleries, so unique, if occasionally atypical, aromas & flavours.

RichA

Visit site
It’s made by Ian Macleod distillers from an unspecified distillery on Islay
However, those in the know reckon Smokehead Islay single malt whisky is young Caol Ila finished in Ardbeg casks.

All I know is it’s really nice ?
Cool. Thank you. I've been a lover of Islay malts since I stayed there in my early 20s. Until a few months ago I had half a dozen bottles on the go. Now the cupboard is bare and they are all a lot more £££ than they were 10 years ago. You used to even occasionally see Lagavulin 16yo on offer in the supermarket for under £30. Now it's £75.
Smokehead looks like a bargain at £25.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Cool. Thank you. I've been a lover of Islay malts since I stayed there in my early 20s. Until a few months ago I had half a dozen bottles on the go. Now the cupboard is bare and they are all a lot more £££ than they were 10 years ago. You used to even occasionally see Lagavulin 16yo on offer in the supermarket for under £30. Now it's £75.
Smokehead looks like a bargain at £25.

Keep an eye on Amazon, they sometimes do cracking deals on Malts, you normally have to be quick off the mark though ??