What’s gonna happen when I get shafts

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I bought a pair of 3 & 4 hybrids some months back with stainless steel 105 gram R flex shafts. I really love the fact that they’re steel rather than graphite and bought into the marketing hype about a natural progression working up from the 5 iron etc etc

But if truth be told I don’t hit them anywhere near as well as the ones I got rid of, lacking distance, strike consistency and poorer dispersion (basically I don't swing near fast enough to get the benefit)

So today I bit the wotsit and took them to have the shafts changed to TM RBZ graphite hybrid shafts at 78grams (same flex)

No I never had the chance to try before you buy when I bought them and I also didn’t get the chance to hit with the TM shaft either so definitely trial and error

Will collect on Saturday and try them Sunday morning… so what going to happen, what will I notice?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will probably make a difference, yeah. I've gone the other way - I always hated hybrids because I had a 50g, then a 70g graphite shaft version, and still felt it was far too late and my strike was all over the place. I've now got one with an 87g graphite shaft, not had it long yet but early signs are that it suits me a bit better. I wanted it to be closer to the weight of my irons.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know what you mean (but opposite) these just seem too heavy and I never any feel or shaft flex in my swing. I have a 5 hybrid with a 75 gram graphite that I can hit well in my sleep (& it was dragging that out of the spares bag the other day and popping to the range that convinced me to do the swap)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what you mean (but opposite) these just seem too heavy and I never any feel or shaft flex in my swing. I have a 5 hybrid with a 75 gram graphite that I can hit well in my sleep (& it was dragging that out of the spares bag the other day and popping to the range that convinced me to do the swap)
Yeah I never would have gone as heavy as 105g steel ones. My irons are only 95g! A little bit lighter than that for the hybrid is hopefully right for me. It's good to try out different weights until you find what feels right I think. Hopefully these shafts work for you.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure your question is serious. I suspect you know exactly what is going to happen. It's why you changed out steel for graphite shafts.

I'll play though - you're going to hit them better

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@jusme I hope I'll hit them better but it was semi-serious question as I've never used that shaft before or tried it before telling the fella to swap them

I'm also curious if the clubhead was designed with the potential to play both shaft types or was it optimized for steel

@jim8flog I can think of a couple of holes where a hook might come in handy so I'll take that shot (if I can choose when)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
@jusme I hope I'll hit them better but it was semi-serious question as I've never used that shaft before or tried it before telling the fella to swap them

I'm also curious if the clubhead was designed with the potential to play both shaft types or was it optimized for steel

@jim8flog I can think of a couple of holes where a hook might come in handy so I'll take that shot (if I can choose when)

I don't think any head is optimized for a particular material, however weight of shaft is a different thing. If the new shaft profile suits your swing I doubt there is no reason why it shouldn't work

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
im looking forward to your findings,just be aware the hybrids do have a tendency to cause a bit of a hook.

Not enough shots to be of any real value yet but played yesterday & I believe the dispersion was much improved (time well tell but what shots I did have going round did seem to go where I aimed :))
The weight and balance seem much better both at address and during the swing and I'm really pleased with how close the matt finish compares to the matt on the club head so it doesn't look like a cobbled together pairing

When warming up I did get a couple heading left (but not a hook) so had to adjust for that and also a couple that had a higher (better) ball flight than I could get from the club before

The shafts are now 27grams (or 26%) lighter than the steel with these TM shafts fitted with the only downside being that each one cost me £40 inc fitting :eek: (I'm sure It would have been far cheaper in the UK but with almost a monopoly the guy can set his prices + his own import costs would have been much higher than UK)

I'll get a bucket on the range this week just with these clubs to help 'bed in' my stroke, but so far no regrets