WGC - Firestone

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a solid course and tough, no question.
Conditioning will be immaculate as always.
It''s just dull.

I think I'm just blasé about watching golf - there's just so much of it

Will watch the ladies British Open highlights though, find that interesting being on the links and all

A course that dines out on its history... golf course design at its very basic from routing, bunkering to green shaping.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This camera work is awful

How can they be this bad at following the ball

Maybe we are just spoilt at the open and European tour in general

D

Deleted member 1418

Well maybe it's just me, but I like a course with at least a bit of variety or feature!

Totally agree. Just watching the highlights of the Fiji International - looks a cracking course and far more interesting than Firestone.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep - on moving day Tigger is moving in the wrong direction! No wonder the bookies keep on putting him at stupid odds at the start of tournaments - kerching, kerching, kerching!!! 😂😂

Seems he kept moving downhill , it appears it was the same old reasons - couldn’t keep a tee shot in the fairway

As for DJ - that’s someone who is on fire at the moment 10 under and looking very good

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Woods is still coming back after a long lay-off. So many on here expect him to be fully feet and instantly able to compete and win again. Look at Murray as an example from another sport who has pulled out as he recovers from his own problems. He came back at Queens and the level of expectation on him to simply turn up and win was huge. It's the same with Woods. Many assumed he'd be able to come back, fit enough to play and recapture old form. Golf isn't like that and the game has moved forward and it's going to take Woods time to adapt and try and get himself to that level. Whether he does is perhaps the intriguing thing to watch

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Woods is still coming back after a long lay-off. So many on here expect him to be fully feet and instantly able to compete and win again. Look at Murray as an example from another sport who has pulled out as he recovers from his own problems. He came back at Queens and the level of expectation on him to simply turn up and win was huge. It's the same with Woods. Many assumed he'd be able to come back, fit enough to play and recapture old form. Golf isn't like that and the game has moved forward and it's going to take Woods time to adapt and try and get himself to that level. Whether he does is perhaps the intriguing thing to watch

I get what you're saying Homer but he's played 42 competitive rounds this year.....and had some decent finishes
How many does he have to play to get "match fit"?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I get what you're saying Homer but he's played 42 competitive rounds this year.....and had some decent finishes

Probably until he wins one then we can welcome the return of the messiah. Just listening to the utter twaddle the commentators say about him is embarrassing.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
DJ back using my putter and burning up the greens. First my win in Round 2 of the Reid Jack and now this!! :)

The Spider Mini is deffo a magic wand :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree but as I said the game moved on while he was off and he's simply struggling to catch up. He's showing patches of form but clearly needs to do it over four rounds and that's lacking. That said, looks like it's boiling up nicely and lets not turn this into another Woods thread

D

Deleted member 15344

I thought “he was back “ - that what was said quite a lot at a few events over the last few months and then at the Open he was “really back”

Woods is back - this right now is his level , three good rounds and then a round where his poor driving doesn’t get the lucky bounces etc

It’s getting to the stage where Woods is favourite then disappears

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think wooods falls into the group of secondary winners. For him to win, he nee3s to play well, but also rely on others. The same as many others such as Rory. Those who can’t put 4 together, but of ohers don’t hit their top level the6 have a chance.

Dame me could be said for many aging stars such as Mickelson, poults and kutjcar.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see Rory is failing to make any sort of serious challenge.

Does he have it to contend for a win or will he just be another money making player who has good finishes but never threatens the tournament leaders ?

Where has it all went wrong, seems like his putting and short game is really bad

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why can't Jason Day shout 'Fore' ? Really cheeses me off that no one in his group has called the warning although he has hit errant drives all through this tournament.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought “he was back “ - that what was said quite a lot at a few events over the last few months and then at the Open he was “really back”

Woods is back - this right now is his level , three good rounds and then a round where his poor driving doesn’t get the lucky bounces etc

It’s getting to the stage where Woods is favourite then disappears

Agree with this. The guy is maybe a top 25 golfer over the course of a season. He has to adjust to this. He is no longer good enough to have an off day and still win as in any field there is a dozen or more guys that are better than him on their off days.

He will have to win by being patient and cutting out the doubles. Certainly a place with low scoring is not going to suit him any more as there will be guys like DJ and Thomas who will score heavier than him.

In the past, Woods making a good start at Firestone... it was lights out. No one was going to catch him on the weekend. I didn't see much of the golf this weekend, but obviously having got himself into contention, he got himself out of contention on Saturday.

it seems that when he pushes these days, the big numbers happen. It is very much within his nature to keep pushing, but if he wants to be competitive he is going to have to play more like a Padraig Harrington - who would just hang about and sometimes get the win as other guys struggled to get over the line.

There are a lot of guys who are pretty happy with this kind of career and pick up a pay cheque and move onto the next event. I wouldn't imagine this would motivate Woods at all. He doesn't care about collecting a dozen top 10's over a season. He's been there and won near enough every tournament he's ever played in.

Personally think it bodes very well for the Ryder Cup. Woods will 100% get a pick and he may struggle big time with the aggressive nature of play in a matchplay format. Albeit, clearly foolish to write him off at this stage.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory bottled the last day once again. That's becoming a habit.

It really does seem to be.

He recently said that he wants to attack every round, including the final round, and isn't happy or believe he's playing the right way unless he is.

Just wondering if this is a sensible tactic. Obviously when he is in full flight he plays very attacking anyway, but that doesn't leave much margin for error, and maybe on the final round he should start of a bit steadier then try and move up through the gears rather than just going hell for leather from the 1st tee.