Weymouth or Came Down

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With foreign travel off the agenda this year, my wife and I are spending a few days in the Weymouth area in August. I have permission to play on one of the days. Where we are staying is equidistant from Weymouth GC and Came Down GC. Has anyone played both and, if so, which of the two would they suggest is the better bet? Or, there is Bridport and West Dorset GC not that much further away if that trumps the other two. Any thoughts? Thanks!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely not Bridport

Not a lot to choose between the two. Having played both a lot both I have things I like and dislike. On balance if it is a first time visit then Came Down. Being high up and relatively exposed Came Down needs a a good ability in the wind and is a better test of your ability. Great greens normally
The things I do not like about it come mainly from having played it a lot ie it requires a good degree of local knowledge on some holes about where to land a ball eg severe downhill holes with greens with front to back slopes.

Weymouth is very much what you see is what you get with good greens normally.

West Dorset and Country Club is pretty similar to either of the others it has 27 holes and it depends on which of two nines you are playing.

Another to consider is Lyme Regis and the other half can have the day out in the Town.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks both. Perhaps it looks like Came Down then. Why not Bridport Jim8flog? Last year when we were in the same area, I asked on here about Bridport and Lyme Regis and, as I recall, the responses were generally good for both. In the end, I played Lyme Regis and really liked it ... so I want to play somewhere else this time.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I live locally and I have been playing comps at Came Down for years - it's one of my favourite courses. The views are fantastic, the elevation changes are great, it makes you think, the greens are small, firm and in great shape. The clubhouse is not the best but the welcome and the food/beer are great. Weymouth I have played only a couple of times and wouldn't go back. It backs onto a housing estate in parts.

To my mind absolutely no reason to go further than Came Down.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm surprised at some of the comments against Came Down. Not the best course in the world but certainly worth playing. Got 3 or 4 really good holes on it. Couple of silly ones where the greens run away from you but overall I think it's not bad.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks both. Perhaps it looks like Came Down then. Why not Bridport Jim8flog? Last year when we were in the same area, I asked on here about Bridport and Lyme Regis and, as I recall, the responses were generally good for both. In the end, I played Lyme Regis and really liked it ... so I want to play somewhere else this time.

Bridport .

Simply not up to the class of the others.

I have not played there in years but it was very open and and a lot of the holes you could hit the ball from the drive virtually anywhere and get away with it. I was last there as part of a Society the guy who won would have had 10 lost balls at Yeovil he was simply landing on an adjoining fairway with an easy shot in to the green. We used to have seniors match against them and they were eventually dropped because we struggled to get enough players who wanted to play in the match whereas any other course we have no problem whatsoever.

If you were here for a prolonged period of time worth a punt just to experience the better holes and the cliff top views. They use one of the most quirky/ must play holes for the front of their website.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I liked Weymouth and we were made super welcome by the members. It also has the benefit of the in laws house is opposite the 10th tee box so not far to travel to the course :)

Came down is nice course with the biggest crater I have ever seen ( left by a bomb in ww2)

out of the two came down would be my choice if there was only one I could play .

bridport however I found it a bit bobbins , apart from the par 3 near the sea the rest in my opinion was a bit meh :)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weymouth and Came Down are chalk and cheese. Weymouth is quite short at just over 6000 yards off the back tees but is fairly tight. Came Down is very open for the majority of the holes but like others have said is in a great location with some great views. Not my favourite course but usually play there a couple of times a year. If you want to play Weymouth I can sign you in, or, if you want to play Came with someone else I would happily make up the numbers.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Came Down and Bridport couple of years back. Much preferred Came Down, some really quirky holes, loved the 10th (par 3 if my memory serves me correctly) was a gorgeous day with little wind.

Birth place of the Ryder Cup too, worth playing it for that alone in my books ?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weymouth and Came Down are chalk and cheese. Weymouth is quite short at just over 6000 yards off the back tees but is fairly tight. Came Down is very open for the majority of the holes but like others have said is in a great location with some great views. Not my favourite course but usually play there a couple of times a year. If you want to play Weymouth I can sign you in, or, if you want to play Came with someone else I would happily make up the numbers.

Thanks Srixon1 ... that’s a kind offer. Perhaps I can get in touch nearer the time ... provided you are OK playing with a high handicapper!