Well, If you can't beat 'em....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Join the Club.....

I've had my Orka irons a week now, played twice and first impressions are looking good.

I went for a fitting with Alex at Orka - as per Fundy, Full Throttle, GB72 and of course Fragger and came away having ordered a new set.
The routine was virtually identical to Fundy's fitting - except I picked the 3 heads correctly when they were placed together..!!

My old Callaways were measured against Callaway standard spec and they were all out, some by only a degree of loft or lie but the 8 iron was 2 degrees upright when everything else was standard or flat.
Once I started on the Orkas heads it was pretty obvious pretty quickly that A. I needed longer clubs (nearly 3/4 inch!) and B. My carry and dispersion were getting better all the time.
Overall I increased carry by 20 yards - overall distance by 10 - and decreased dispersion by many %.

A series of different shafts - hitting blind, I had no idea which head or shaft Alex gave me to try - we settled on the Stiff NH9 Pro - looks like a Rifle shaft - and the RS5 head 4 - PW.
For some reason I can't post pictures so here's a link to the RS5 page at Orka
http://www.orkagolf.com/products/irons/rs5-iron-series/

Alex, at one stage, had me hitting quality shots with an Extra Stiff shaft - probably a bit too much for day-to-day play.
3 wraps of tape under the grips - and they don't feel big - just right. All clubs set 1 degree flat and 2 degrees strong on the lofts.

Got fitted on 18th - the idea being to keep it a secret from Fragger so I could surprise him on the Friday - but the Numpty couldn't play so it had to wait until today. Alex played along, keeping quiet and the look on Fragger's face when I pulled out a club on the 2nd tee and stated "Well I'd better get MY Awesomeness out then" was a picture!

Iron shots have been generally good with the RS5's, a bit longer and a bit more controlable.
I will be going back for a "gapping" session soon - getting accurate read-outs for all club distances which may end up with a loft or two being tweaked.

So another with Orka Awesomeness in the bag - hopefully for some time to come.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this is very uncouth but if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price bracket are the orka's in? They look incredible and like they should be £1000+ with full custom fit?

Think I'm a long way off saving up for brand new clubs of any description but would be interested to know!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know this is very uncouth but if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price bracket are the orka's in? They look incredible and like they should be £1000+ with full custom fit?

Think I'm a long way off saving up for brand new clubs of any description but would be interested to know!

We are sworn to secrecy regarding pricing but I can tell you that there's no way on Earth I'd pay £1k for a set of Irons!!:thup:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice clubs those rs5's ;) :whistle:

I also have the rs3 in 7-pw which are lovely as well although a touch less forgiving but make a nice combo set.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
haha I bet you were more looking forward to whipping one of your bad boys out in front of Fragger than actually playing golf

So Orka have cornered the Market in Buckinghamshire, where next? lol

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I haven't hit an Orka and to be honest they aren't a brand I've ever really seen advertised or stocked. I would look at Mizuno long before even considering Orka. What makes them so good as there seems to be a growing fanbase on here