Weird Ball Collision Scenario

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I appreciate this will read as a hypothetical but I witnessed this yesterday.

Yesterday’s Medal, two players just off the Green.

Player A: chips onto the Green to about 2ft, walks to the ball and prepares to tap in
Player B: hits his putt from off the Green
Player A: hits his putt

Both balls collide whilst in motion, how does each player proceed and are any penalties applied?

salfordlad

Visit site
I think the harsh bit is that B incurred a General Wally Penalty and a beer penalty when it was A who played out of turn.
I'm not sympathetic. B was a) oblivious to the movement of player A or b) trying to exploit A's ball being close to the pin or both. A was Sergeant Wally for lack of awareness also but B was General Wally.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sympathetic. B was a) oblivious to the movement of player A or b) trying to exploit A's ball being close to the pin or both. A was Sergeant Wally for lack of awareness also but B was General Wally.
Don’t feel sympathetic towards B, he essentially was oblivious to player A and hit a ball straight at him.

Plus, they had massively over hit their shot, they were significantly better off having had the collision and made subsequent putt.

sunshine

Visit site
The General Wally Penalty of a smack round the head is applied to Player B.

Surely a wally penalty should apply to player A as well? He only had a 2 foot putt so must have seen the other ball coming towards him before he tried to hole out.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!