Weird and wonderful courses

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all
Having read the forum blog about golf at Glengarry, thought I'd do something on Rather-Be-Golfing about weird and wonderful courses - a list of unusual places that sound like fun but not traditional 'must-plays'.
If any of you know of a good example (this country or elsewhere)and would like me to put it on the blog, let me know here (or send me a message).I'll include your name, or not, whatever you prefer.
(And wherever BunkerM may be, rest assured he's not with me ;)
AliB
(85 last week - where will it all end??!)

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ali,
Try these for UK starters.
Cullen in Scotland somewhere near Nairn I think. Short fun track dominated by these kind of weird red rock formations a little like mini Ayers Rocks, and a freaky uphill par-3 early on where the first time you play it you simply have no idea where to hit it.
And then Church Stretton in Shropshire - another unusual little course with the most ridiculously difficult par-3 opener followed swiftly by a near vertical shortish par-3 where if your ball doesn't quite make it, it's quite feasible to see it trickling all the way back down the hill to your feet - possibly even your divot from over 100 yards away. When you do finally get up on top, the views are second to none.

Hope this helps

DCB

Visit site
Having played Cullen several times it never ceases to amaze me just how hard it is to score well on this course. It really is a good fun course. Ideal for a good family outing.
The blind holes over(or around) the rock formations are really tricky. Great views from most of the holes though.

There is also the Nethybridge 9hole course where you actually play across a road on a par 3! They don't make them like that any more

Another course with similar landmarks to Cullen is St Meddans at Monreith in the far south west of Scotland. An eclectic mix of linksy and parkland type holes all squeezed into a very small triangle of land. Great fun as a holiday golf course for all ages of golfer. Clubhouse has great views out over the sea.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
And then Church Stretton in Shropshire - another unusual little course with the most ridiculously difficult par-3 opener followed swiftly by a near vertical shortish par-3 where if your ball doesn't quite make it, it's quite feasible to see it trickling all the way back down the hill to your feet - possibly even your divot from over 100 yards away. When you do finally get up on top, the views are second to none.

I know this one, it's near me. Views are great, not good on a windy day....there's some mad-cap stuff up on the Mynd! on the way back down there's a few holes where you can hit Buzz Lightyears, if you don't hit a sheep.

I like Llanymynech (one of Woosie's haunts) drive in England, putt in Wales, all that stuff. Classic "must play, cause it's different" course, such fun!

Dave

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes Church Stretton is a must play for the novelty of it. Lllanymynech is frightfully difficult and it's no wonder that Woosie was so good after cutting his teeth there. What about Bridge of Allen in Scotland. A nine hole course when I played it some years ago and I hope it hasn't changed. Some of the most interesting par threes I have ever played, and a par 4 where the green was the other side of a dry-stone wall. Lovely people there, - unforgetable.

DCB

Visit site
There's Shiskine, a 12 hole course on Arran. Great views form a very tight links course. Very good fun to play. Chris Evans played there on one of his golfing tv shows. Well worth a visit if you're ever on Arran.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
thanks for the suggestions
Has anyone played Nefyn in North Wales?
I think it was once described to me but not sure if I have the right one - playing from a lighthouse over water ??

cheers
AliB

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never played it, sorry, but it's a legend if I walk out of my house, down past the pub and into Wales!

This one day, Harlech the next......home via Aberdovey!

Dave

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ali,
Have played Nefyn several times and can't remember any lighthouses. That said the 'back 8' on the Old Course is as spectacular a setting as you'll find anywhere for a golf course.
I think I'm right in saying they have 26 holes. You always play the same front 10 and then either the new or old final 8. The new 8 is okay, but the old is something else set on a slender peninsula with one or two holes that just don't seem physically feasible.
Unfortunately there is a public right of way running right up the middle of the peninsula packed with tourists in the season which can make things a little dangerous here, and think was why the new final 8 was built.
This is a must play course, but probably better slightly out of season so you can play the more spectacular holes without wiping out whole families on their way to the beach.
In terms of 'spectacularness' it takes some beating as you will see from some of the amazing pics on the club's home page:-

http://nefyn-golf-club.com/

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ali
You might like to try desert golf. I played golf in Kuwait between 1998 an 2001 and enjoyed it. You carry a plastic mat to hit your fairway shots and the greens are ''browns'', i.e. a mixture of oil and sand. Temperatures reach 50/125. It's fun.