Weight Transfer Absent, help!

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I am just learning golf, usually go round in 31-36 over par. I find that my tee shots with a 1 wood, 3 wood or 3 hybrid always fly too high and often right. I've now totally abandoned the 1 wood and bring the 3 wood out only on wide fairway holes.

I noticed on the range today that my weight tends to stay on my back foot, sometimes even going from back to front then to back again in the same swing. I believe this is the cause for the ball flying so high and slicing off to the right.

Does anyone have any tips on improving weight transfer and/or confirming 100% that this is my problem? I am planning to book my first lesson this week but have been trying to root out all problems via self diagnosis and resolution before paying money for someone to do this for me.

Thanks
jim

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Jim

The simple answer is don't panic and let the pro talk you through it. It's like anything, you need t have the right foundations to build upon. Once the pro has your grip (which could also be a cause of the slice) and the stance sorted then you can start to work on the mechanics.

Relax and work on any drills he gives you. At least you are starting with a relatively blank canvass and so won't have too many bad habits to break. Enjoy the learning process and the wasy the scores will start to tumble

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply dude.

I was kind of hoping to iron out any obvious problems before spending money on lessons in which I will be told what I already know. I am definately not tranferring weight correctly and gripping the club way too hard.

I suppose it would just be easier for a pro to literally walk me through fixes but if anyone does have any tips I have several evenings worth of driving range time to fix any problems before the first lesson.

Cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The danger is transferring to much weight and you start to sway causing all sorts of problems.
As a drill for practicing, try this.
At address, start with the weight very slightly favouring your right side. Swing to the top without changing the weigh left or right then swing through onto your front foot.
This will give you the feeling of the weight moving forward in the shot without too much lateral movement.

jimmusuk

Medal Winner
Visit site
The danger is transferring to much weight and you start to sway causing all sorts of problems.
As a drill for practicing, try this.
At address, start with the weight very slightly favouring your right side. Swing to the top without changing the weigh left or right then swing through onto your front foot.
This will give you the feeling of the weight moving forward in the shot without too much lateral movement.

Thanks for the tip although i do need to clear something up as a little confused.

'Swing to the top' - Does this mean do a full swing or swing to the top of my back swing?

If so, you mean for me to do a ful swing but remove the weight shift (or sway in my case lol) to the back foot on backswing?

Thanks for your help

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do all the above,and practice this yourself,read lots of tips in magazines or on the internet.Imo this can be self taught,like most things.A pro will give you the basics and then its up to you to work on what hes told you.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There's a couple of different versions of it.

I like the version on youtube by Leadbetter.

But there are a couple of others on youtube you could look at.

The basic concept from Leadbetter is to swing the club whilst standing upright, then you don't worry about swaying, or picking the club up. It's much easier to swing naturally, then you just bend at the waist and hit the ball.

Simples.

Google : 'Youtube Leadbetter baseball drill', and see where the magic takes you

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting thought – is there anything in the rules limiting tee height? Could you use a 4ft high tee and use the baseball hit concept off the tee?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting thought – is there anything in the rules limiting tee height? Could you use a 4ft high tee and use the baseball hit concept off the tee?

If you tee the ball up at waist height your clubface would be pointing quite a distance to the left... would make for some interesting 'back in the stance' swings :D

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a trick shot man at our place last year, and he hit it miles with a waist high tee. Straight as well the cocky bastard :D