Weighing up a once in a lifetime opportunity

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been offered the chance to go to San Francisco for a week at the end of April, now the question is can I justify $495 on a single round of golf? Bearing in mind there's every chance it'll be a solo round I'm struggling I always think if I'm on my own there's a chance that I won't enjoy it - if I have a bad game it's just me wasting time and getting angry, at least if you're in a three or four ball and you play badly you can still have a laugh (probably more so).

If I decide not to splash the cash at Pebble Beach anyone got any good recommendations - I see Pasatiempo is a little closer and about half the price of Pebble.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been offered the chance to go to San Francisco for a week at the end of April, now the question is can I justify $495 on a single round of golf? Bearing in mind there's every chance it'll be a solo round I'm struggling I always think if I'm on my own there's a chance that I won't enjoy it - if I have a bad game it's just me wasting time and getting angry, at least if you're in a three or four ball and you play badly you can still have a laugh (probably more so).

If I decide not to splash the cash at Pebble Beach anyone got any good recommendations - I see Pasatiempo is a little closer and about half the price of Pebble.

if its a once in a lifetime why not, i'm sure there would be options to join on with someone.

but saying that, don't you have to stay there to get on the course, i'm sure someone has mentioned in the past you can't just turn up and play??

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
if its a once in a lifetime why not, i'm sure there would be options to join on with someone.

but saying that, don't you have to stay there to get on the course, i'm sure someone has mentioned in the past you can't just turn up and play??

The website shows resort guests and non resort guests - non resort guests have to pay for their buggy seems to be the only difference!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
We took a look at Pebble a few years ago when touring California. We had a great lunch on the patio overlooking the 18th green. I never seriously considered playing due to the expense and having HID (a complete non-golfer at the time) with me but, if I'm honest, even now I wish I had!

I'd say if you can spare the cash then go for it as it'll be a great experience.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sincerely doubt you'd play it solo. They will group you up with someone. It is open to resort and non resort guests, but I think only resort guests can book in advance, you'd have to show up early on the day and hope they had a spot, being a single probably increases your chance of getting on to make up a full group.
I would say 100% yes, do it. I went and had a look when on holiday in Cali with my missus, but never seriously considered playing it since she is a non-golfer and I was not as into the game then as I am now.
If I was going back there on holiday I would find a way. Would love to play such a dramatic and iconic course.
The Monterey peninsula is just stunning. San Fran is great too.
If you have time go up to Napa and do a day wine tour (we used Platypus tours), it was a great day getting sloshed on amazing wine.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think if you will not miss that amount of money too much then go for it. I was having the same thoughts with the Trump trip, but my wife has just been though breast cancer and she said to me you are long time dead, and very few people die regretting what they have done, most what they did not do

I also have a good friend who has had cancer 4 times and she had article published recently which is worth a read if you are wavering.;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mandy-riches/if-you-died-tomorrow_b_9290142.html

D

Deleted Member 1156

DO IT!!

I payed $420 to play Pinehurst #2 last year. It is unlikely you will be on your own (you could ask to be paired up if they do offer you a solo time). OK, it's a lot of money but I don't regret it for one second!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although I fully agree with all the "live for today" sentiments, actually I don't think I would pay that much just for 18 holes, especially if you're forced to take a buggy, which I detest.

Don't know what my limit is, but I think 500 bucks is over it.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Although I fully agree with all the "live for today" sentiments, actually I don't think I would pay that much just for 18 holes, especially if you're forced to take a buggy, which I detest.

Don't know what my limit is, but I think 500 bucks is over it.

Pay it early, treat it as a sunken cost and then forget about it. ;)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends how much $495 means to you- is it expendable dosh? If so I would go for it... like everyone says you won't get many chances to play such an iconic course abroad

D

Deleted Member 1156

We are talking about a course often ranked in the top 3 in the world (but not IMHO) and often the highest ranked publicly accessible one.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pay it early, treat it as a sunken cost and then forget about it. ;)

Yeah again I agree with the sentiment, spending that money is not a problem, but I've played stunning courses in Asia for 30 quid and there are very few more stunning views than where I grew up in Cornwall, next stop France, America or Ireland.

I just don't personally think I would justify that amount for 18 holes.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think you can book it 1 day in advance if you aren't staying there. Guy from our club went with his mrs last year. He said it cost him a fortune (2 night min before they let him book Pebble Beach Links), that he played better and preffered Spanish Bay, Pebble took over 6 hours to play...... but that he'd do it again in a heartbeat if he could afford it.

Will you ever be in the position to play it again? How would you feel if you got home and then thought "what if"?

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you can afford it, do it. Life's too short. You can always earn more money, take the memories while you can.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would want them to assure me they could join me up with someone else then Id jump at the opportunity, probably wouldnt bother if had to play as a 1 ball (never really enjoy it)