Wedges

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
As I seem to use them quite a lot due to my inability to hit a green ? I was thinking of upgrading my wedges. Maybe seeing if I can get a decent ebay deal for a couple of new wedges. I kind of don't know where to start!

Ideally I'd like brand new or ex display with a budget of £150-200 for the pair.

Was looking at the Cleveland RTX 4.

At the moment I have a pitching wedge and sand wedge but not a clue what lofts they are! I like the loft of the P wedge but wouldn't say no to a couple degrees more than my current sand wedge

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I find a 52 degree is a good all rounder, nice around the green but good for up to 80 yds or so with control. Modern PW that come with the set are around the 47degree mark.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could be wrong but I kind of feel like wedges from the different manufacturers are much of a muchness really. Just try a few out and see what takes your fancy.

Your pitching wedge is likely between 44-46 degrees and the sand wedge would probably be 56.

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh right I didn't realise my P wedge would be in the 40s. So potentially a good idea to keep that and then maybe pick up a 52 and a 60?

Not really sure what is standard to have on the bag to be honest

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh right I didn't realise my P wedge would be in the 40s. So potentially a good idea to keep that and then maybe pick up a 52 and a 60?

Not really sure what is standard to have on the bag to be honest
Well it depends how old they are, a modern day PW is 44-46, but if you're using irons from 10-15 years ago then it might be 47-48.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Type into Google your iron set and put lofts

I'e mine is 716 ap1 lofts .

That will give you the figures

Work out your gaps from there

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have Cleveland RTX3 and find them very good. Have a look around before buying the RTX4s as the 3s are are still available at clearance prices.

Same robinthehood a 52 is very much my go to wedge and the other I carry is switched between a 54 and a 56 and is club suited to the bunkers where I play.

Fabia999

Visit site
I carry a 46 PW for about 90-100, 52 gap wedge for 90-40 and a 56 SW for 40-0 and bunkers. I'm happy with my set up and I don't think a 60 degree would help me too much, but i understand its a popular choice of loft.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think for most a PW is really a 10 iron, I certainly think it is this way for my play style.

PW is 47 then my “true” wedges are 52 and 56.

My wedges cover me from 90 and in then a gripped down PW or 9 iron covers the 20 yard gap between a full 52 (90y) and a full PW (110y).

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive got wedges a plenty in my bag! I love the gaps that are filled by the spread of my wedges. I barely ever pull the club marked SW from sand though!

PW is at 46 (soft 80-90, full 100-110)
SW is at 54 (part of my iron set - wish i brought a gap wedge instead)
52 (chips between 50-80)
56 (chips between 25-50) - great all rounder in my opinion.
60 (when the pimps are in the crib and you need to flop it like its hot) but mostly my sand club!

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had a google and I saw someone saying that for my Top Flite Tour Oversize irons, the P wedge is around 45 and the S Wedge around 55. Going to keep the P as like a 10 iron as it's a reliable club for me.

Think I will then guy a 52 degree and 60 degree and ditch my current S wedge.

Found some brand new Yonex WS-2 Wedges for £60 each and I can get £15 off if I buy 2 I believe, so would be £105 for the pair. Seems a decent deal. I know they are a 2015 model but I'm not bothered about the latest models etc.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had a google and I saw someone saying that for my Top Flite Tour Oversize irons, the P wedge is around 45 and the S Wedge around 55. Going to keep the P as like a 10 iron as it's a reliable club for me.

Think I will then guy a 52 degree and 60 degree and ditch my current S wedge.

Found some brand new Yonex WS-2 Wedges for £60 each and I can get £15 off if I buy 2 I believe, so would be £105 for the pair. Seems a decent deal. I know they are a 2015 model but I'm not bothered about the latest models etc.

Solid price for some solid wedges! You wont be unhappy with the 52 and 60, good choices and if you feel theres a gap down the line then the 56 sits perfectly in the middle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As I seem to use them quite a lot due to my inability to hit a green ? I was thinking of upgrading my wedges. Maybe seeing if I can get a decent ebay deal for a couple of new wedges. I kind of don't know where to start!

Ideally I'd like brand new or ex display with a budget of £150-200 for the pair.

Was looking at the Cleveland RTX 4.

At the moment I have a pitching wedge and sand wedge but not a clue what lofts they are! I like the loft of the P wedge but wouldn't say no to a couple degrees more than my current sand wedge

What clubs are you using as it should be possible to find out the loft of the PW and the SW if its from the same set. For arguments sake lets assume the PW is around 45-46 degrees then why not look at a gap wedge at 52 and a new SW at 58 with the bounce best suited to the type of sand on your usual course? Depending on the rest of your bag set up you could go 50, 54 and 58 which will really fill any gapping issues at the bottom end

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think for most a PW is really a 10 iron, I certainly think it is this way for my play style.

PW is 47 then my “true” wedges are 52 and 56.

My wedges cover me from 90 and in then a gripped down PW or 9 iron covers the 20 yard gap between a full 52 (90y) and a full PW (110y).

I‘ve never heard the term ten iron used before but it rings absolutely true. I’m not a good golfer but I love playing (hate the driving range though, sadly), and my favourite shots are always 8,9 or PW. In conjunction with my little range finder (nothing has added more enjoyment to my game) I do occasionally hit some satisfying shots. I’m going to get some lessons on the longer irons soon, as they’re not going well nearly as often.