Wedges - bounce and sole grind advice please.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recently got a wedge off the bay that has now become my "go to" club around the green and I hope that some expert on here can help me understand why.

I've noticed that the sole of this club is shaped very differently from any other club I've ever seen/used. I thought I understood "bounce" of a club and that opening the face increases bounce etc., but not with this club.
I've read a little about sole grinds too and seen pictures on the Scratch Golf website, but it's become a little confusing so hoping that you experts can distill the info into an easily understood format. :confused::confused::confused:

I believe that the new wedge (58*) is a "C grind" (but not sure!). It does allow me to pick the ball off the turf, including tight lies, and allows the leading edge to stay close to the ground when "opened" or "closed".

So a few questions first...
Q1: Is this a "C grind" club?

Q2: Are there variations of "C grind"? If so, what are they?

Q3: Are there usually different lofts available in the same "C grind".

Also, if I've missed the point or have revealed my ignorance in some way please help me to understand.:mmm:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Also, if I've missed the point or have revealed my ignorance in some way please help me to understand.:mmm:

Not missed the point, but I think a pic might have been!

C-Grind basically looks like the front half to 3/4 of the sole has been ground flat. There's some heel and toe relief too - to prevent heel digging in when opened and toe dragging for the low angl of attack that 'Sweeper/Sliders' have.

Actual bounce isn't reduced, but effective bounce is.

Suits my style!

Variations are how severe the grind is and how much heel and toe relief there is. On my GW, I wouldn't need heel relief - as I don't really open it up. On my LW, more heel relief works.

Not normally something for a SW, though those that use their 56 off the fairway might consider it.

Here's a pic of the Mac Daddy wedges. Top/right one of the group of 3 is C-Grind (others are U and standard)
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...xwvPUfCJEoSP4gSRk4Ao&ved=0CHsQ9QEwCg&dur=3534

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
C-grinds can be found on a few lofts but normally the higher ones.
Most are pretty obvious but some are "blended" so they seem to have a normal sole but still have the relief of the c-grind...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. no idea, you haven't named it nor can I see it
2. inevitably there are minor ones, but it's a specification as already outlined
3. yes, any club can be ground that way