High (or very high) bounce wedges

JonW

Visit site
My course gets pretty wet over winter and in previous seasons I’ve fought a little bit with the chipping yips.

I’ve had a look around but can’t seem to find a list of high bounce wedges that may help me in the soggy conditions (along with short game lessons).

I’m probably looking for a 56° but may consider other options too.

Can someone advise on possible options, please?

evemccc

Visit site
There’s a Cleveland wedge - not the RTX the other model - CBX I think - that is 56 degrees that comes in 12 Bounce and is supposed to be easy to use

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Both the RTX and CBX Zipcore come in 12° bounce which is pretty high.
I used to have the Cleveland 588 SW with 14° bounce!

dronfield

Visit site
Taylormade Hi Toe Big Foot wedges have 15 degree bounce - available in 56, 58 & 60 degree lofts. I had the 60 degree which was great out of bunkers - played with a square face (ie, not opened at all).

Rich

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is only one solution to this. And it is a solution - a chipper. Forget high bounce. What you needs is the upright lie, and the flat bottom - no bounce. We get a bit wet too, grass a bit thin and flattened, lies thin but softness ready to grab an imperfect wedge or even 7i. So I chipper from Nov or March or so.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My course gets pretty wet over winter and in previous seasons I’ve fought a little bit with the chipping yips.

I’ve had a look around but can’t seem to find a list of high bounce wedges that may help me in the soggy conditions (along with short game lessons).

I’m probably looking for a 56° but may consider other options too.

Can someone advise on possible options, please?
Spurk mat
short-pile.jpg

Teebs

Visit site
K grind Vokey, I have one at 11 degrees of bounce but I think they also do a 14 degree too.

11 degree is OK in summer..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Our bunkers are full of heavy sand, which can get really wet and compacted and even in the height of summer, they're never really fluffy and fine. Which is one reason I could never get out of them with the 14° wedge (ability also played a part!). Swapped to 8° and it's been so much better. So be mindful of the sand and conditions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought really high bounce wedges are meant for bunker play where you are not intending to hit the ball first.

With shots off the fairway and similar you are intending to hit the ball first so only moderate bounce is really needed to stop the club from digging in too far.

I too have a high degree 56 but it is only in the bag when the sand is very dry, soft and fluffy.