Wedge Gaps

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there's too big a gap between my PW and GW. I'm not sure how best to go about fixing this.

The PW is strong-lofted at 44°, and a full swing is about 125 yards. My GW is 50°, and a full swing is 100 yards. I can grip down on the PW and take it down to about 115 yards, but that's still quite a gap. As I have a short backswing I find it very difficult to hit, say, a 80% or 90% swing - all I can do comfortably is half-swings (or what feels like half) for yardages under 100, or full swings.

Consequently when I have around 107, 108 yards for example I find myself going with the GW and trying to leather it, which is a bit of a disaster, or trying to grip down on the PW and either accept being right on the back edge of the green, or try and take a bit off it but I struggle to judge how much I'm taking off and end up well short - or worse, with a poor contact because I'm not comfortable in the swing I'm trying to make.

Do you think it's worth changing my wedges up and maybe getting a 48 & 54 instead of the 50 & 56? I would be a bit sad to lose the 56 as it's a nice for little lofted chip shots over bunkers and suchlike, but then I'd possibly get a 58 in rather than the 60 as well and then perhaps I'd be fine.

Or alternatively, has anyone got some really great tips to help me out with those 90% PW swings? Because as I say, I end up taking almost nothing off it or way too much off it at the moment which is frustrating.

Really not sure which way to go.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 options for me, either buy a set of irons where the PW is a PW not a 9 iron, or if youre happy with the irons then Id add another wedge personally :)

Try and ignore whats written on them and find one that fills the gap and goes 112ish for a smooth swing (likely to be 47/48 degrees prob)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How far does the 56 go as I can see you then having a gapping issue between your 50 and the 56 as well. Personally I'd go 44, 50 and 56 as at least there is even gapping and then spend the winter working on hitting finesse shots with each one so you can control distances without having to go all out. I am sure someone like Bob would have a few drills or ideas to help you work on it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, how do you play a shot from 50-60 yds?
50 yards is a half swing 50° gripped down a bit. 60 yards is either a half swing 50° gripped normally, or half swing PW gripped right down, depending on how much I think it'll run in the conditions.

Obviously if I end up taking the 50° out I'll have to refigure these little distances out as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How far does the 56 go as I can see you then having a gapping issue between your 50 and the 56 as well. Personally I'd go 44, 50 and 56 as at least there is even gapping and then spend the winter working on hitting finesse shots with each one so you can control distances without having to go all out. I am sure someone like Bob would have a few drills or ideas to help you work on it
Full swing with the 56° is around 80-85 yards but I prefer not to as the chance of a thin bullet is vastly higher. Under 100 yards I prefer to go with half swings of the 9 iron, PW, etc as it's safer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
50 yards is a half swing 50° gripped down a bit. 60 yards is either a half swing 50° gripped normally, or half swing PW gripped right down, depending on how much I think it'll run in the conditions.

Obviously if I end up taking the 50° out I'll have to refigure these little distances out as well.

So you never play a three quarter swing with any club?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you never play a three quarter swing with any club?
No because I have no idea what a three quarter swing is.
As I have a short backswing I find it very difficult to hit, say, a 80% or 90% swing - all I can do comfortably is half-swings (or what feels like half) for yardages under 100, or full swings.
By this I mean if your full swing has a short backswing like I do, it sort of condenses everything - the distance between full and half swing is less, therefore I find it harder to judge the middle point between them. If that makes any sense? It's like like my full swing already is a three quarter swing by most people's standards.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am virtually the same with my PW and 50 degree.
I work on the clock system
I also have a very short backswing for all my clubs but can get good distances.
If I take my pw back to 8 I get 122 yrds
If I take my 50 back the same I will get 100
If I take my pw back to 9 o’clock still a relatively short backswing I can squeeze 130
Again the same for the 50 back to 9 o’clock I can get 115
It’s quite difficult as you are finding out to take 10 yards off or add 10 but for me it’s all about the length of swing.

Shorter distances I also have a 54 and 58 once again using the clock drill for distances so basically 4 wedges.

Don’t know if you use the clock face drill but because you have a short backswing it could work as it’s never a full swing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest you have a lesson on how to control your wedge distances.
And while you are at it, have a chat with the pro about your 4 wood, 20 hybrid and 3 iron combo.
Come on, everyone knows I don't do lessons lol. :p

I don't even use the 3 iron anymore. That's still there from a time over a year ago when I couldn't hit hybrids and my driving wasn't working. I just haven't taken it out because I haven't needed the space to put anything else in yet. Figured I'd just leave it there in case I have a day where everything else off the tee fails me for some reason.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am virtually the same with my PW and 50 degree.
I work on the clock system
I also have a very short backswing for all my clubs but can get good distances.
If I take my pw back to 8 I get 122 yrds
If I take my 50 back the same I will get 100
If I take my pw back to 9 o’clock still a relatively short backswing I can squeeze 130
Again the same for the 50 back to 9 o’clock I can get 115
It’s quite difficult as you are finding out to take 10 yards off or add 10 but for me it’s all about the length of swing.

Shorter distances I also have a 54 and 58 once again using the clock drill for distances so basically 4 wedges.

Don’t know if you use the clock face drill but because you have a short backswing it could work as it’s never a full swing
That is the kind of thing I find really difficult. I wouldn't know what number on the 'clock' I was swinging to unless watching myself in a mirror or something. Surely 9 o'clock is forwards and you mean 3 o'clock? :LOL: I can't really picture it but might be worth trying over winter.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is the kind of thing I find really difficult. I wouldn't know what number on the 'clock' I was swinging to unless watching myself in a mirror or something. Surely 9 o'clock is forwards and you mean 3 o'clock? :LOL: I can't really picture it but might be worth trying over winter.
Depends which way round you have your clock I suppose
Yes use a mirror initially if you need to,once your dialled in you won’t need one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 options for me, either buy a set of irons where the PW is a PW not a 9 iron, or if youre happy with the irons then Id add another wedge personally :)

Try and ignore whats written on them and find one that fills the gap and goes 112ish for a smooth swing (likely to be 47/48 degrees prob)
Thinking about it more, I think Fundy has a point here. With my PW being part of a set of very forgiving irons, I think it probably goes much further than a standalone wedge of equivalent loft would do. So despite it looking wrong with the lofts, I feel like a 46° wedge may actually plug the gap in terms of distance.

Looking at it this way:
9i(39): 135
PW(44): 125
46: 110?
50: 100
56: 80-85

Since normally you see 2 or 3 yards for every degree of loft, but going from the PW to 50 that becomes more than 4 yards.