Wedge distances

G1z1

Visit site
I have noticed my SW and UW are not as accurate for distance as the rest of my irons pw to 5 iron. My SW goes anywhere from 65 yards to 85 yards and the UW is 75 upto 100. Its weird i can feel as if i hit a SW perfect one hole and get 65 carry then next hole it goes an extra 20 yards And im not thining it. Is this normal for that much of a difference? Even tested at the range yesterday and can hit two shots and they both feel really well hit but different yards :confused:

Springveldt

Visit site
It's not normal if the strikes are the same. Clearly they aren't the same though. You are probably presenting too much loft on the shorter ones. For those differences the ball flight can't look the same, is the shorter one launching higher?

G1z1

Visit site
It's not normal if the strikes are the same. Clearly they aren't the same though. You are probably presenting too much loft on the shorter ones. For those differences the ball flight can't look the same, is the shorter one launching higher?
To me they look and feel like well hit shots and nice high flying ones on both. Its weird i only get this with SW and UW. If i hit my PW good its going 115/120 carry all day but SW and UW feel inconsistent

G1z1

Visit site
It is you that is inconsistent not the clubs. They are unchanging inanimate objects.
Having a consistent repeatable swing takes practice and/or some natural ability/aptitude.
I had the feeling this was the case. Guess ill need to spend a bit more time practicing the wedges. What should be an acceptable difference in yardage around 5 yards ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It only takes a degree or two difference in the delivery of the face to the ball to create a reasonable difference in launch angle, or spin, or both.

This in turn will have an impact on distance.

Are you using the same ball all the time?

G1z1

Visit site
It only takes a degree or two difference in the delivery of the face to the ball to create a reasonable difference in launch angle, or spin, or both.

This in turn will have an impact on distance.

Are you using the same ball all the time?
No always use random balls. When i took up golf a mate of mine gave me two big full bags of balls probably 300 or so balls. Been working my way through them all. The plan is by time i loose them all i know what ones i like but right now a prov1 feels the same to me as a decathlon soft 500 just not good enough to notice a difference.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
No always use random balls. When i took up golf a mate of mine gave me two big full bags of balls probably 300 or so balls. Been working my way through them all. The plan is by time i loose them all i know what ones i like but right now a prov1 feels the same to me as a decathlon soft 500 just not good enough to notice a difference.
That might be part of your answer.

Spin rates with wedges could be massively different, which could account for some of the difference in distance.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Could well be to do with the lie as well. Often with wedges you’re playing out of rough/semi. I played a course at the weekend and the rough was thick and plenty, spongy lie. Found that my wedges were falling a good 15-20 yards short because the ball was hitting higher up the face.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to comments about the balls. Different balls spin differently and go different distances any way, some will land and run others will stop very quickly.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of hte problems I have noticed with a lot of golfers is the type of wedges they use. They turn up with a set of Vokeys, or wedges of similar design. These wedges are blades, or to put it simply, have no forgiveness for off centre hits. They are designed to enable you to control trajectories and flights. Just out of curiosity, what irons are you using and what wedges are you using?

Maybe take a look at something like this https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/wedges-/cleveland-cbx-2-wedge/MCBX2.html excellent wedges that offer a level of game improvement so they will be more forgiving for off centre hits.

G1z1

Visit site
One of hte problems I have noticed with a lot of golfers is the type of wedges they use. They turn up with a set of Vokeys, or wedges of similar design. These wedges are blades, or to put it simply, have no forgiveness for off centre hits. They are designed to enable you to control trajectories and flights. Just out of curiosity, what irons are you using and what wedges are you using?

Maybe take a look at something like this https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/wedges-/cleveland-cbx-2-wedge/MCBX2.html excellent wedges that offer a level of game improvement so they will be more forgiving for off centre hits.
I have the ping g425 stuff, at the fitting guy said they were really forgiving and aimed at the higher handicap player and plus i hit them a lot better than the taylor made stuff. That was the only two brands the fitter used.

albie999

Visit site
I would def look at the ball that you are using. I did a test the other week with a 56 degree wedge and a number of balls, as I was trying to figure out which one was best for me. As you can see from the table below, there is quite a bit of difference in distance, then factor in different strike locations, and you have got a wide degree of difference in distances

1630047213693.png

Attachments

• 1630047166337.png
    1630047166337.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could well be to do with the lie as well. Often with wedges you’re playing out of rough/semi. I played a course at the weekend and the rough was thick and plenty, spongy lie. Found that my wedges were falling a good 15-20 yards short because the ball was hitting higher up the face.

Even off fairways hitting the ball even slightly 'turf then ball' can cause a difference with distances.. Even with 7/8 irons it can cost me 10-15 yards.

G1z1

Visit site
Update. Started with a new pro two weeks ago. Said we should start from the easier clubs the wedges, master them and then move onto the other clubs. So after two lessons spent some time at the range this morning and new swing has got me hitting sw 105 carry and very consistent uw is now 120 carry and pw 135. So identical gaps now and I’m way more consistent. Looking forward to working my way through the bag with this new pro

Diamond

Visit site
Update. Started with a new pro two weeks ago. Said we should start from the easier clubs the wedges, master them and then move onto the other clubs. So after two lessons spent some time at the range this morning and new swing has got me hitting sw 105 carry and very consistent uw is now 120 carry and pw 135. So identical gaps now and I’m way more consistent. Looking forward to working my way through the bag with this new pro
Would love to know your swing speed with a driver as those are a lot further than my 54 and 50 degree wedges.

G1z1

Visit site
I use the ping g425 stuff. Driving range doesn’t show swing speed only ball speed but next lesson i get ill ask the pro my swing speeds.

G1z1

Visit site
Was at the driving range tonight so only had ball speeds but pretty consistent with all clubs. Just used wedges and few irons. PW ball speed was 94mph on average and 7iron was longest club I hit with ball speed 115 mph