Wedge advice

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys just after some advice. I have just purchased some new irons. The shafts in these are regular. I have some SM6’s with TT XP115 S300 shafts in. Do you think I should consider changing my wedges? Will the difference in shafts be a major issue?
I may need to have my lofts altered anyway as they don’t really fit with my new irons. But will have to gap test to see this.
Any advice welcome cheers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on the weight of the iron shafts as well as the flex.
Many schools of thought on wedge Vs iron shafts. Do you go heavier in the wedges or lighter, stiffer or more flexible, or use the same shafts.
Use what works but I tend to feel a touch stiffer and heavier works for me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It really depends on what you use wedges for and what you actually consider to be a wedge.

For me a wedge is something over 50 degrees and it is rarely used for full out shots so I have a different shaft in my wedges than my irons.

I have TT AMT shafts in my irons anyway so not likely to be a major difference between what is in the PW and what is in the 52.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were the SM6 bought after being fitted (unusual shaft in a wedge) if so why change?

With Titleist you have to be careful about what the actual shaft is in wedges. They do not necessarily fit a wedge 'length' shaft in them, it may be an 8 or 9 iron shaft.
The way to check which shaft has actually been used is by the distance of the first taper (tip end) to the tip.

TT XP115 S flex shaft for a wedge has a tip to first taper length of 9"

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Were the SM6 bought after being fitted (unusual shaft in a wedge) if so why change?

With Titleist you have to be careful about what the actual shaft is in wedges. They do not necessarily fit a wedge 'length' shaft in them, it may be an 8 or 9 iron shaft.
The way to check which shaft has actually been used is by the distance of the first taper (tip end) to the tip.

TT XP115 S flex shaft for a wedge has a tip to first taper length of 9"
I had TT XP115 shafts in my Mizuno irons that I was fit for. I won the sm6’s and could have them any spec so matched my iron shafts. I’ve just been fit for some Orka irons and gone with the Nippon 850’s in Reg. So concerned that there maybe a massive feel difference but also the gapping maybe wrong now between new PW and SM6’s

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've found that having different shafts in wedges to those in rest of irons made very little difference, so changing then would have been a waste of cash! And I've had everything from PX 6.5s to Nippon 95s Regulars. The important thing, for me, was/is to have the same in all the (specialty) wedges.

TT's 'standard' Wedge shaft is an S200, so slightly lighter than R/S300 and, because of the way tolerances work, probably more consistent weight across a 'wedge set'.

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
I've found that having different shafts in wedges to those in rest of irons made very little difference, so changing then would have been a waste of cash! And I've had everything from PX 6.5s to Nippon 95s Regulars. The important thing, for me, was/is to have the same in all the (specialty) wedges.

TT's 'standard' Wedge shaft is an S200, so slightly lighter than R/S300 and, because of the way tolerances work, probably more consistent weight across a 'wedge set'.
Yeah I think I need to have a gapping session when my irons come and maybe just get the lofts altered on my wedges if the gaps aren’t right

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone got some Bettinardi wedges?
I didn’t really know they did wedges and really like the look of them and was after thoughts of anyone with some.