Waterproofs

David_L

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Looking at playing over the winter and just wondering if anyone had recommendations on waterproofs? Sunderland bothers me as I am a Geordie (I know) but is the Footjoy stuff as good (in terms of water proofness per pound) as Galvin Green? Does anyone have any experience of GG and is it as good as it looks? I need something that is breathable as get warm quickly and will last a good few years so don't mind the investment but guess like everyone else object to being ripped off.

Appreciate the comments.

Thanks

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I found some very good priced GG's. Having come from a yachting background, I understand the issues regarding decent foul weather gear.

If you want to play all year, in all weathers, buy the best that you can afford. If however you run for the clubhouse as soon as a cloud appears, don't waste your money.

Personally, I'd avoid the very lighest Gore-Tex stuff, (Paclite) as I believe this to be to thin and light to justify the cost against lack of longevity.

I've been very happy with my GG kit so far.

David_L

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the comments on the GG and especially the Paclite stuff. Not one for running for the clubhouse in foul weather so good gear important.

Tah

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never look any further than Proquip gear, does the job with style at a fraction of GG gear. If money is no object buy the GG, if you want good honest golfing value get Proquip.

T

thecraw

Find yourself a set of Sunice gore=tex waterproofs you wont regret it. As for GG, I have sent mine back after two outings!

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
take a look in TK Maxx. Last time i was in they had loads of sun-ice waterproof stuff in, including the goretex stuff. They also had some of the Nike Tiger Woods Collection Goretex stuff as well. Save yourself a fortune.

:)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Hapless, I was in last week in Leeds and they just had the usual Ping polo's redunced and some low range Sunice waterproof jacket, I did see a Sunice Goretex jacket but it was XXL in orange.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a look in TkMaxx Hatfield yesterday. It just confirmed my prejudice against these shops - nothing is looked after nor displayed reasonably, if they have any golf gear it's well hidden.

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
I've got a thing about waterproofs as I've got the Sunderland Pro Combo (heavy but warm), Proquip Silk Touch (very light) and Ping F3D Collection (very light) suits and found them all to be excellent. I did buy a GG Angus jacket but sold it after only a week as I found it very rigid.

I also found the GG jackets quite awkward / strange as it didn't have any pockets other than one in the back! Being a 15 stone ex-Rugby player it also didn't fit me too well as they appear to be designed for the slimmer build :(...... Can't comment on it's wet weather ability as I never tried it in the rain.