Waterproof Trousers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any reason why they are singled out? I know your club is not alone in this but I've yet to hear a decent reason for it. You say you were there when it was introduced so they clearly offended someone enough it's not just one of those historical rulings.
I have always wondered why cargo pants and shorts are banned at most clubs. You'd think the extra pockets would be ideal for your golf balls, tees, scorecard, rangefinder, pitch repairer, etc etc.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always wondered why cargo pants and shorts are banned at most clubs. You'd think the extra pockets would be ideal for your golf balls, tees, scorecard, rangefinder, pitch repairer, etc etc.

Id say 80% elitism, 20%pragmatism. Practicality has nothing to do with it.
The nub of the issue is that they are garments that some associate with the lower classes, and not the 'right sort' one wants to play golf with. Nonsense of course, but many people are like that.
The element of pragmatism comes from those who mightnt agree with the above, but recognise nontheless that it is a consideration for many, and will affect membership, attraction to visitors, and greenfees.
If you want to play golf in cargo shorts or tight shorts like the guy from Normal People, and a football shirt - thats fine by me. Go for a string vest if that what you want. Ill still really just care about my own game and the company of my playing partners.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Slazenger are not what they were since Fat Mike bought them. Materials about as cheap as you can get, a fair chance the stitching comes apart before very long. That happened with some Slazenger shorts and trousers I bought a while back. Buy cheap, buy twice is true in their case.
Never had a problem with any Slazenger trousers

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would not be allowed where I play we have a ban on trousers with side pockets, much to my annoyance as it meant about 50% of my trousers and shorts could not be worn on the course when it was introduced.

Wrong link, sorry. The right ones are Craghopper Stefan or Steall.

badgergm

Visit site
Would not be allowed where I play we have a ban on trousers with side pockets, much to my annoyance as it meant about 50% of my trousers and shorts could not be worn on the course when it was introduced.
I wore those Craghoppers on a very cold day at Royal County Down (end March so not that many about). No issues. The pockets aren’t that noticable.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I bought a pair of the FJ Performance Xtreme trousers a couple of weeks back. Great style and fit and very comfortable. Have been caught in a couple of showers recently when wearing them and not had any problems keeping dry. Even when caught in a really heavy downpour, the water didn't soak through. The only "problem" was when they were proper wet, they creased up easily and looked like they had just come out of the washing machine, not the end of the world for staying dry.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just so happened to be in Trespass Outdoor today - and was looking at their Qikpac waterproof ‘pants’. They have three pocket slits rather than their own pockets but for me that’s no big deal. And as I avoid wearing waterproof trousers unless it’s an absolute deluge - and at £19 a pair - why not?

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a pair of UA Goretex trousers that can be worn by themselves. Nice lining, don’t get too sweaty, and more importantly, keep the rain out. I wear them throughout the winter regardless. Nice slim fit too, so don’t flap around in the wind ??

sunshine

Visit site
I have a pair of Craghoppers fleece lined waterproof trousers. Ideal in winter to keep you warm and dry and were under £50. I'm surprised none of the golf brands do something like this. Stick a Galvin Green label on them and charge £300.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Any reason why they are singled out? I know your club is not alone in this but I've yet to hear a decent reason for it. You say you were there when it was introduced so they clearly offended someone enough it's not just one of those historical rulings.
It could be a COVID thing. Poor taste is one of the signs !