Waterproof Jacket .. recommendations

nyckuk

Visit site
Ive got a galvin green jacket but its a bit tight on me these days 🐷 so looking for an alternative but dont want to splash out £200+ plus on a jacket .

Been looking at
UA stormproof 2.0 £78
FJ HydroKnit full zip £149
Sunderland Matherhorn £140 now £60
Also seen a Ryder cup 2023 jacket but not sure the make reduced right down to £40

Hoping to keep it under £100 if possible but Hydroknit would be a stretch unless i got the 1/2 zip version

What have you guys got ??

Please dont turn this into a Galvin Green debate ..Thanks

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an Under Armour jacket and a FJ Hydroknit top. The FJ top is about as lightweight as it gets so good for summer showers, but only slight drawback is that as it's a pullover it's a bit of pain to put on and off if the showers are intermittent. My UA jacket is superb for waterproofing, quite a roomy fit which is good for swinging, but of course a little thicker & warmer so I tend to just use that in the winter months and the FJ top in summer months.

With things like the Ryder Cup one you mention, just be careful they're not 'water resistant' rather than waterproof because then you're wasting your time and money. 'Water resistant' is useless in anything more than passing drizzle.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sunderland are an excellent brand and I can confirm that my 4yr old jacket is still 100% waterproof. It has had 2 intense workouts already this year and I was fully dry underneath. You also, should, get a lifetime guarantee with it.

Hydroknit gets a huge amount of love on here, good sign. It's whether you can justify the extra.

Assuming the Matterhorn jacket is similar to mine, can't remember the name but looks similar but older, the Hydroknit is likely to be thinner and slighter. Up to you whether that comes into the equation.

RichA

Visit site
I bought a Sunderland Whisperdy Pro-Lite jacket a few months ago.
£120 - it has been very good in some terrible weather. More waterproof than Gore-Tex jackets I've owned. It hasn't leaked even a drop of water.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Mountain Warehouse 100% waterproof £29 about eight years ago.

I also have an extremely lightweight thing from Cotton Traders that is OK for light drizzle from about 15 years ago that cost me £7.99.
Often had that in the rucksack when walking.

sunshine

Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My FJ's are over 10 years old and going strong so when I replace they will be my first port of call. I also have an old set of Proquip (older than the FJ's and only just starting to let a little water in during very heavy downpours))

Smoj

Visit site
lots of good recommendations in this post,

I have had great experiences with;

Pro-Quip Tempest - very waterproof, a good sign of a Waterproof jacket is if the water beads off the fabric and this one still holds up after about 5 very wet rounds. was impressed so bought the trousers to go with it the jacket.

Under Armour Storm Revo jacket - a great fit, a good amount of waterproof, but thicker and good for winter golf. I also wear this jacket a lot off the course too.

nyckuk

Visit site
Thanks all for the replies
I managed to pick up a FJ Hydroknit for £89 full zip … by far the cheapest I’ve seen
Here’s the link if anyone else wants one

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies
I managed to pick up a FJ Hydroknit for £89 full zip … by far the cheapest I’ve seen
Here’s the link if anyone else wants one
Found these a little snug, size wise

AussieKB

Visit site
Played in rain today in OZ in my Sunderland Jacket, mentioned that I bought it in England about 30 years ago, the cuffs have lost there tightness but still keeps the rain out, cannot beat quality.