Washing machine expert Q

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Q for washing machine expert. Our machine this morning went mental during the spin cycle.. spinning like crazy and moved about 15 cm from where it was.
I had a look and it seems that the drum is now offset & lower. Something is not right. It is still working but goes mental duing the final spin cycle. Thoughts

IMG_5290.jpeg

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Q for washing machine expert. Our machine this morning went mental during the spin cycle.. spinning like crazy and moved about 15 cm from where it was.
I had a look and it seems that the drum is now offset & lower. Something is not right. It is still working but goes mental duing the final spin cycle. Thoughts

View attachment 53002

Looks like the bearing has gone… @Bunkermagnet will give you the real answer 👍

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apart from it being a Hoover, it look to me like the suspension springs are no longer doing their job. Either they have snapped or the plastic outer drum where they mount has broke. Thats before checking for any damage to the door seal or front weight.
I cant say whether to repair or replace, other than it's a Hoover....;)
Don't buy a Currys own machine btw.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like the bearing has gone… @Bunkermagnet will give you the real answer 👍
Oh boy… I just watched this… looks like it will be a £300+ parts repair job quote … it is the last thing in the machine. !! Replace

I doubt very much if its the bearings. Sinple reason being if it was, the inner drum would still be up around it's normal position and the inner drum would tip forward, not dropped as a a complete assembly as it has.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apart from it being a Hoover, it look to me like the suspension springs are no longer doing their job. Either they have snapped or the plastic outer drum where they mount has broke. Thats before checking for any damage to the door seal or front weight.
I cant say whether to repair or replace, other than it's a Hoover....;)
Don't buy a Currys own machine btw.
Is Hoover good or bad? It’s served us well over the 8 years and is A+ rating.
Agree I would never touch a curry’s own anything

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH, it leads to a question I often get asked, but the asnwer is never liked. Sadly very few people put a value in a washing machine that will look after oyur clothes so they last longer and wash better, so buy the cheapest they can but spend tens of thousands on a car, that like every other car gets you from A to B.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Honest answer, I dont consider them a good machine, especially as they are now just rebadged Candy's
If you want a budget machine thats quite good, then Beko.
I had a look at AO.com and realised that all energy labels have changed .. so my old hoover A++ could now be F!!!
So looking for another A one. I usually go Bosch and usually from John Lewis. Currently this one is taking my fancy

Or this

I have just realised that machines that do more than the standard 10kg seem to be less ‘energy saving’ than 10kg machines even though they are graded as A

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At 8 years it owes you nothing, unless you rarely wash your clothes 😲.

I've extended warranties in the past but I doubt I'd go over 4 years. Don't beat yourself up about not having one after 8.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Extended gets you 5 years right?
What is the cost of an extended warranty over 5 years compared to a new machine in 5 years time? Does it cover wear and tear or just faulty parts that you have to prove are faulty? Strewth, we bought our Currys machine for 150 quid at least as far back as 2019 on the basis that if it only lasted two years, replacement would be better than forking out £600+ pounds for a Bosch/AEG which would suffer from aging problems if we kept it long enough to justify the price.