Walton Heath

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Evening all,

Anyone fancy a meet here in August?

Looking at the 2021 prices I reckon the cost will be circa £200 for coffee, and bacon rolls, golf and carvery lunch

The Lion

Visit site
Might be up for this, but would prefer a 36 hole day to play both and keep the cost down.

Hopefully the Golf Monthly team might use their excellent contacts to help us get a great deal?

evemccc

Visit site
I’m sure I could be persuaded ?

Subject to availability, I’d think the latter half of August would be preferable as more chance of the heather being in bloom so seeing it at its peak

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Subject to availability, I’d think the latter half of August would be preferable as more chance of the heather being in bloom so seeing it at its peak
Walton Heath heather is very different from the nearby heathland courses. In texture, much/most of it is more like low, mature, non-flowering gorse compared to the classic very lower, soft purple heather that is more typical. And there are a number of areas/holes where they are (or at least were) fighting to actually keep it growing! The vista is definitely different to 'typical' heathland courses too - much more open than the mainly tree-lined ones like Sunningdale etc.
That said, it's a wonderful pair of courses!

petema99

Visit site
Likewise - would be more keen for 36 holes - could even be split over 2 days if they'll do a deal, as 36 in August heat might not be ideal...

evemccc

Visit site
Walton Heath heather is very different from the nearby heathland courses. In texture, much/most of it is more like low, mature, non-flowering gorse compared to the classic very lower, soft purple heather that is more typical. And there are a number of areas/holes where they are (or at least were) fighting to actually keep it growing! The vista is definitely different to 'typical' heathland courses too - much more open than the mainly tree-lined ones like Sunningdale etc.
That said, it's a wonderful pair of courses!

I’m certainly looking forward to one day (hopefully August) playing the Old. Re: the openness of it, I’ve heard / read it’s as close to an inland links as they come..well, that and the superb Ganton

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m certainly looking forward to one day (hopefully August) playing the Old. Re: the openness of it, I’ve heard / read it’s as close to an inland links as they come..well, that and the superb Ganton
I wouldn't categorise it! To me, it's unique!

The Lion

Visit site

I second this, although not sure I'll be around then as may be in Scotland. It could be worth asking the club when the heather does bloom as each part of the country has a microclimate of sorts which can mean different flowering times.

Last edited: