Walking the Dog on the Course

marmar

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Redwoods track last week and noticed the footpaths crossing the site - fine, it's a public right of way - but was a bit taken aback by the couple of people walking dogs far from the paths down in the pretty corner (9th to 10th?) looking angrily at you as you raise an eyebrow. Nice track though.

Mind you, my local muni is nicknamed dogs**t alley thanks to miserable so and sos who don't clear up after their mutts. At least stick to the footpath around the edge and chasing the runners - inconsiderate animals.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My issue with dogs is that no one has any control over them any more. They dig holes in bunkers, steal balls from greens, fight each other, run around like lunatics, bark at you while you are trying to play, all the while the owners are shouting at them with no apparent response at all. The owners seem to think the golf course is a magical doggy entertainment park, rather than private property they aren't supposed to be on.

A mate of mine plays golf with his dog in attendance, and it is perfectly behaved. No problems.

Steve79

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played at a course a few years ago and while looking for my ball a man and his dog appeared from the trees clutching a sandwich bag with about 15-20 balls for a bargain £7!!
I called my mate over and the man opened up his rucksack to reveal another 10 sandwich bags full of balls.
Apparantly his dog loves golf balls and just pulls them out of the bushes and drops them at his feet. Quality!!

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Beverley is on common land some there are always people roaming around and lots of dog walkers. You get used to it.

My favourite story was told to me the other day. One of our members hit a big drive slightly wayward and it was heading towards a family and their dog. Seeing that it was going to miss them, he refrained from shouting fore in case they moved into the ball's path. The ball narrowly missed the dog who was off the lead and running all over the place.

As he got to them, he apologised and received a mouthful from the father. He explained the situation and was told fair enough but why didn't he shout fore for the dog?

Spinn77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Preston squad took a wander round our course saturday morning, i couldnt believe it... straight accross the 17the fairway and then over and around our 9th before watching us drive down the 18th.
The morning of a game and they were risking it walking round our course!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive never seen anyone on our course while its being played,however ive seen some dog crap on our course so i know it happens,its not the dogs thats the problem its the owners.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You should try Wimbledon Common. Dog walkers all day, kids running around playing football on the fairway and we've even had families picnicing on the 1st green. The problem was being common land the dog walkers had right of way and boy did most of them know it.

I've no problem with a dog on a course if its kept on a lead and the owner cleans up any mess. There use to be a member at Wimbledon who'd take his do around in the evening. He'd always make sure it was on a lead and it would sit or lie down when players were hitting. It was perfectly well behaved and no problem at all

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old course only owned the tees and the greens, the rest was common land so the dog walkers, ramblers and wierdos would wander round the place all day long. It was carnage!!! They'd wander out into the middle of the fairway just as your ball was landing, almost get hit and then moan at you when you reached them. There were fights.
Funnily enough, at my new course, I recently took my Wife and kids up for a bit of lunch. We'd just sat down and this old fart marches up to me and abruptly asks "was that your animal out there on the course?" Resisting the urge to knock him into next week I retorted that I do not own an 'animal' as such but I am the keeper of two rabbits. "Oh" he said "must have been someone else." No apology.

Rather than shoot dog owners as JustOne suggests, I recommend compulsory euthanasia for anyone over 60!!!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rather than keep dogs off the course: I have an idea...

I sell you a ProV that's been dipped in my patent aniseed mixture. I then hire you my dog for a few quid. You smack the ball into the rough and off goes doggie & finds it. You have a great round because you don't lose a ball, I make a few quid <u>and</u> get the dog walked with no effort on my part. Everyone happy!

Bruce Lynn 2

Visit site
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this thread comes up prominently when searching for dog golfing. Sad to see so many misconceptions about golfing with dogs expressed here. The danger to them being hit by a ball is no more than a human being hit by a ball (and that is pretty low with any degree of heads up play). And the problems mentioned (eg. Murph's list) are not problems with dogs, but problems with players not controlling their dogs. And a poorly behaved player ruins everyone's game whether they use it a dog to do so or not. Check out www.doggolf.info for how it is done properly. Dogs are welcome at all the top courses (ie. Wentworth, St. Andrews, Muirfield). In fact, Sunningdale has a "dog menu" at their restaurant so you can buy your dog lunch on the 9th hole as well. Another bonus is that we have trained our dog to find balls in the rough. Haven't lost a ball in months and saves plenty of time on a round (we've taught her to point and not touch the ball). It's especially fun to come across players who are scavenging in the rough for their ball and have our dog sniff their hand and find it in seconds. The universal response is 'I want one of those'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At least the new rules of golf allow for animal dung to be treated as a loose impediment (by LR if adopted).

We had this as an AGM discussion (many moons ago when AGMs were attended by the majority of members) and there was an overwhelming majority in favour of not allowing dogs on the course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First of all, a round of applause for resurrecting an 8yr old thread. I've taken my dog on previous courses but the owner of my current one is vehemently anti dog so we respect that. I'm okay with a well trained dog on a course. I should add, mine is not brilliantly trained, she's a pet not a gun dog, so I only let her off when no one was around. That was often enough and so was not an issue. I've seen plenty of brilliantly trained dogs on courses and they always make me smile.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least the new rules of golf allow for animal dung to be treated as a loose impediment (by LR if adopted).

We had this as an AGM discussion (many moons ago when AGMs were attended by the majority of members) and there was an overwhelming majority in favour of not allowing dogs on the course.

Dung is currently within the definition of a LI, and remains as such going forward.

No requirement for any LR on this regard at all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old course only owned the tees and the greens, the rest was common land so the dog walkers, ramblers and wierdos would wander round the place all day long. It was carnage!!! They'd wander out into the middle of the fairway just as your ball was landing, almost get hit and then moan at you when you reached them. There were fights.
Funnily enough, at my new course, I recently took my Wife and kids up for a bit of lunch. We'd just sat down and this old fart marches up to me and abruptly asks "was that your animal out there on the course?" Resisting the urge to knock him into next week I retorted that I do not own an 'animal' as such but I am the keeper of two rabbits. "Oh" he said "must have been someone else." No apology.

Rather than shoot dog owners as JustOne suggests, I recommend compulsory euthanasia for anyone over 60!!!
Wait until you get to 59 see what you think.
I met a nice 60+ once.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No problem with it, but question why you would want to walk a dog in harms way.
Certainly wouldn’t walk my dog on a golf course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey this is an old thread

I have played with a lot of people who take their dog with them on the course - a guy in the Woburn Swindle takes his Westie every Sunday , he is good as gold just sits there nice and relaxed and has a nice walk for 4 hours or so. I don’t think they are really in harms way anymore than a player is. And you always see them at the top links and Heathland courses around the country