Walking off the course - right or wrong?

RichA

Visit site
If it affected a playing partner's result, I think any reasonable person would tough it out.
If it wouldn't have any overall effect, I can't see why any reasonable person would resent a friend for doing whatever they needed to do to protect their well-being, physical or mental.
It's supposed to be enjoyable recreation. When the fun stops, stop!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I hate playing when the clubs and my hands have got wet.

Mind you, I've never been at the Course 35mins before my tee time! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as nobody in the group is left without someone to mark they card then I think it is fine. In fact I have been in situations when I am in a 2 ball and my playing partner is clearly not enjoying himself and so I have suggested that we both head in. As others have said, golf is meant to be fun and I would not want to be out for a full round, or make somebody else play a full round, if they are really not enjoying it.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've walked off only twice. Once was in a club comp. I had a fall. Put my foot in a rabbit hole in a downhill bit of rough. Went over and twisted my back so could hardly swing the club. Annoyingly I was playing pretty well before it happened.

The other time was on a society day. Played a 9 hole scramble in the morning and got very wet. Then after lunch was an 18 hole stableford and it was still chucking it down. tbh I thought the course should have been closed. Some of the greens were unplayable, but the pro shop kept sending people out anyway. Can't believe I started the 18, but I did. The course is 2 loops of 9 so once we were back by the clubhouse I apologized to my group and packed up. Definitely my best decision that day.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As long as you arent leaving a single player then its up to you, wet, dry, hot cold, i'll, hungover or just not into playing, it really doesnt matter. It's your choice.

It's not rude, its not disrespectful it just what it is. We play for fun not to make a living and people should remember this.

No different from leaving a football/rugby match before the end because you arent enjoying it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as you arent leaving a single player then its up to you, wet, dry, hot cold, i'll, hungover or just not into playing, it really doesnt matter. It's your choice.

It's not rude, its not disrespectful it just what it is. We play for fun not to make a living and people should remember this.

No different from leaving a football/rugby match before the end because you arent enjoying it.
Then again that is still frowned upon if you're one of the players. :LOL: