VERY Disappointed with my new SkyCaddie Touch - be warned

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find I can actually read the screen when in the standby mode, but if I need to see it in detail a quick tap is all that is required. I've been using the update for almost a month now and find it a great help, even though I never had battery issues before.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Keeping a close eye on this thread as my SG5 seems to be giving up... keeps switching off.

I like the look of the Touch but after paying subs for the last 7 years it might be time for a change. The Garmin S60 looks a great bit of kit but has a ridiculous price tag to go with it. Any other GPS I should be looking at?

D

Deleted member 15717

There is a Motocaddy app available which is completely free and provides all the information you could need with overhead views of the holes using Google maps, shot distance measuring etc. I find that a full round only uses about 20% of my battery. With apps like this available for free I don't see the point of paying for a device or subscription.

We'll see how quick Google Maps updates when a course puts in a hazard, or removes a hazard that you can't see but would be right in your landing zone and would affect the way you play the shot.

There is a reason there is a subscription...the courses are always up to date. And will inevitably be more accurate

D

Deleted member 23270

We'll see how quick Google Maps updates when a course puts in a hazard, or removes a hazard that you can't see but would be right in your landing zone and would affect the way you play the shot.

There is a reason there is a subscription...the courses are always up to date. And will inevitably be more accurate

Yeah fair enough but I'm just putting a free option out there as an alternative to spending hundreds of pounds. I've yet to find a hazard that didn't show up on this app.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yeah fair enough but I'm just putting a free option out there as an alternative to spending hundreds of pounds. I've yet to find a hazard that didn't show up on this app.

Which is fine if your mainly playing your home or local course and you are fully aware of everything (changes) that are ongoing.

However, like me who travels over 2 hours to courses that cost a lot to play and sometimes have to stay overnight a poor experience from not having the most updated information to hand can cost me hundreds of pounds in lack of enjoyment just for that 1 trip.

There’s something out there for everyone, but like everything that is cheaper, it’s cheaper for a reason and everyone has the right to make those choices, but at the risk of it affecting my days Golf Away, I’d rather pay a subscription and gave something I can rely on more.

D

Deleted member 23270

Which is fine if your mainly playing your home or local course and you are fully aware of everything (changes) that are ongoing.

However, like me who travels over 2 hours to courses that cost a lot to play and sometimes have to stay overnight a poor experience from not having the most updated information to hand can cost me hundreds of pounds in lack of enjoyment just for that 1 trip.

There’s something out there for everyone, but like everything that is cheaper, it’s cheaper for a reason and everyone has the right to make those choices, but at the risk of it affecting my days Golf Away, I’d rather pay a subscription and gave something I can rely on more.

Like I said, I've used it on many courses and it has always been accurate so personally I'd rather not shell out lots of money when a perfectly acceptable alternative is available for free.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with fish on this one. I think the touch is the best unit out there. Wouldn't be without mine.

Purchase price isn't that high compared to other units and the subscription isn't that much. £30 per year.

Some people are perfectly happy with a £100 GPS watch, great. Their choice.

The way I look at it, out of all the golf equipment I own it's the thing that gets used the most ! So that's where I'll spend my money