VERY Disappointed with my new SkyCaddie Touch - be warned

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had my touch since day 1, upgraded from and SGXw as well.

Had a few issues over the past couple of years and every time I've had great service from SkyGolf. They even replaced my device FOC when out of warranty when it went completely dead. I had a new one in my hand within a couple of days of sending mine back.

Mine will last for 36 holes usually, I think I dropped the brightness down but you wouldn't know looking at it. I did have a battery issue after about a year when it would last about 12 holes. Sent it back and had a replacement within a few days again.

It's a shame you've had this problem and glad their getting it sorted, but stick with it. It's a cracking bit of kit.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Had my touch since day 1, upgraded from and SGXw as well.

Had a few issues over the past couple of years and every time I've had great service from SkyGolf. They even replaced my device FOC when out of warranty when it went completely dead. I had a new one in my hand within a couple of days of sending mine back.

Mine will last for 36 holes usually, I think I dropped the brightness down but you wouldn't know looking at it. I did have a battery issue after about a year when it would last about 12 holes. Sent it back and had a replacement within a few days again.

It's a shame you've had this problem and glad their getting it sorted, but stick with it. It's a cracking bit of kit.

Agree 100%. Features are absolutely fantastic.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is now an update for the SkyCaddie Touch which puts the backlight into standby mode and lights up again when you touch the screen thus saving battery power.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is now an update for the SkyCaddie Touch which puts the backlight into standby mode and lights up again when you touch the screen thus saving battery power.
This has got me interested as my garmin isnt precise for my home course. Plus i know the skycaddie man has recently walked it

D

Deleted member 15717

I have been tempted by the Touch, as other GPS units I have tried have been fairly meh. Now it has come down a lot in price, it is a bit more tempting....but what is going to be released soon that is going to be better?!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are Garmins ever precise?
I thought it was until hole 6 at dunes . I knew green had moved but didnt believe yardage or picture of green. Was playing with some one with sky touch and was a good bit out. Plus as said i knew sky boy had just mapped changes at dunes. Before this i was happy with my g6

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with a few guys who use Garmins and they can be 5-10 yards difference from my SkyCaddie and we've checked with my laser rangefinder as well, My SC is usually within 1-2 yards of that. Subsequently they're always asking me what I have on my SC which seems to defeat the point of them have a DMD if they don't trust it.

I haven't seen anything on a replacement for the touch, which is odd as it's been out for quite a while now.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With the latest update, I don't see the need for a replacement.

Correct, the Touch is pretty much the real deal and any updates are simple to sync, it has the capacity to absorb anything else in the future the tech boys want to throw at it.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct, the Touch is pretty much the real deal and any updates are simple to sync, it has the capacity to absorb anything else in the future the tech boys want to throw at it.

Agreed but software updates won’t make SC much money !!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Huge difference with the new software upgrade, 5 hour round today and I still had over 50% battery life left.

Skycaddie are number one for a reason. They walk the course, they map it, they go back and upgrade courses. Top top product.

D

Deleted member 15717

I might have to pull the trigger and get me a Touch then. Reduced in price at the minute with a free years subscription on the SkyCaddie site.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Huge difference with the new software upgrade, 5 hour round today and I still had over 50% battery life left.

Skycaddie are number one for a reason. They walk the course, they map it, they go back and upgrade courses. Top top product.

Yep. Same. Today 4 hour round. 60% battery left👍🏻

FeldonChris

Visit site
I have had my Touch for just over a year and have just updated my subscription. Unfortunately there was an immediate software update which dims the screen to save power - I have never had a problem with power!
But I now have a problem in that I used to have to touch the screen perhaps 100 times during a round. I would view the distances regularly. I now have to touch the screen to make it bright enough to see, so I now end up having to touch the screen about 300 times!! This is just not on. I also have to walk to my trolly where the Touch is instead of being able to see it from some feet away. Some people may need this feature to get over the inadequate battery, but I don't have this problem and it appears you can't switch off- a really dumb upgrade the isn't an option.
Today the Touch froze at the "Start round" screen. - now that really did save the battery. Left it with my pro with a few choice words. A ball of string would be more use….

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So you had to touch your gps 100 times a round, that’s 5-6 times per hole of which there’s no doubt at least 4 x par 3’s.

Now you say that’s up to 300, I think you over exaggerate a lot or you play off 229 😳

Hmm, and a strange first post!

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Had my Touch on for 3.5 hours on Sunday and hardly used any juice.

Superb software upgrade, can't see past it at all.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Had my Touch on for 3.5 hours on Sunday and hardly used any juice.

Superb software upgrade, can't see past it at all.

Exactly, I was out on the Oxfordshire course for over 4 hours and obviously you fire the gps well before you start and when I came off I hadn’t even used half the battery display 👍

Just poking the screen if it’s gone dark is no hardship by comparison and must take a millisecond to do, and, if you need to get any yardage or know what hazards are ahead you need to press the function eye button anyway, so the new upgrade is a very welcome addition imo.

I set my green display to come on at 150 yards so once within that yardage there’s no need to press anything, unless you use the Inteligent Green function.

D

Deleted member 23270

There is a Motocaddy app available which is completely free and provides all the information you could need with overhead views of the holes using Google maps, shot distance measuring etc. I find that a full round only uses about 20% of my battery. With apps like this available for free I don't see the point of paying for a device or subscription.