VERY Disappointed with my new SkyCaddie Touch - be warned

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fish, I know that - but my point still stands. I am without my device (a very expensive device) because I did not buy from a retailer. If I could take it back I know I would get a replacement. Because I bought direct from Sky Golf -I have no local support.

So I stand by my statement -lesson learnt buy from your local pro as they give better support.

To me - Sky Caddie should have offered me the option to take it to a retailer for exchange. That way they guarantee to get my device back and I am happy.

Now I have to return it by post for them to examine it to decide wether it is faulty and they will then replace it. This will take days (at least a week) so I stand by my criticism - not good service.

Personally it's no different to if you took it into a retailer you bought it from, they are not experienced or qualified to check it so 99% of the time they would also just send it, or any item back for it to be assessed and checked by the manufacturer where they have the right to repair it, replace it or offer a refund if it's deemed to be a manufacturer fault. This has to be done in what is only described within the sales of goods act as, a reasonable amount of time. So again, a retailer isn't going to give you another new one over the counter immediately only then to send it back to the manufacturer and find out its then OK and nothing is actually wrong with it as all he has then is 2 secondhand units!!

The only possibility it could have gone smoother was through a club pro who leant you a unit of his own or had a demo of any brand to use whilst it was sent away.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why buy a 3.2 litre car when you can only drive to 70mph.

The screen is no doubt just built to a full capacity like phones and other items and you simply scale it down accordingly, it's not a biggy imo.

No biggy? You build a golf unit that doesn't last a full golf round on full brightness an that's no biggy?? :rofl:

Think I'll pass :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No biggy? You build a golf unit that doesn't last a full golf round on full brightness an that's no biggy?? :rofl:

Think I'll pass :thup:

If you set it at 50% at the very beginning you wouldn't notice any difference. Just like my iPhone, it doesn't need to be like beacon to attract moths, so it's turned down and I get twice as much battery life and doesnt affect the viewing at all.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you set it at 50% at the very beginning you wouldn't notice any difference. Just like my iPhone, it doesn't need to be like beacon to attract moths, so it's turned down and I get twice as much battery life and doesnt affect the viewing at all.

Im sure it's been said before, but why build it so bright if the only difference it makes is to drain the battery? Rather counter productive don't you think?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Im sure it's been said before, but why build it so bright if the only difference it makes is to drain the battery? Rather counter productive don't you think?

I'm not a techie person but I'm sure they'd be a good reason. I also read a report some time ago about loads of things we use in our everyday lives and that we only use them all about 15-20% of their true and full use.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Fish, And one other little item.

When the Touch first came out, it had a 12 month warranty. Two years ago, it had a 6 month warranty. Now, according to their website, they carry a 90 days warranty. Does this show what Skygolf thinks of the Touch's reliability?

Emilyli

Visit site
Being quite happy with my Shotsaver S430 Tour Pro, I decide check if major changes to my regular course were ready to download. Having gone through the necessary imputs to confirm my identity and device, I then find notes to say that several golf GPS devices are no longer supported, including mine. A search on Google did not bring up any information or warning about this. Golf GPS product, I believe, is no longer sold by Snooper but is for sale on several other sites.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have had one for a few months now and it's one of the best bits of kit that I own. Extremely accurate and loaded with all required distances.

Never had an issue with it not lasting 18 holes either.

Very happy camper.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for the Touch from me. I've had mine for ages now after replacing my faulty SGx. I have the backlight set at 75% with no issues. Over 50 courses stored on it, the battery will last for at least 72 holes.
When I had issues with my SGx, I returned it to SkyCaddie and had a replacement within three days even though it was out of warranty.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that chuffed with my Skycaddie Linx coupled up with the Skycaddie app. It works well but the main reason I bought Skycaddie was for accuracy. However on several occasions over the past year important hazards just haven't appeared on the map or the watch. Most recently at the Oaks near York a ditch across the fairway clearly visible from the tee but no idea how far away because it just wasn't there as far as Skycaddie were concerned. No big deal if it was just once but this happens a fair amount. It also happens with other brands but they don't charge annual fees. If you sell on accuracy and charge annual fees when others don't on accuracy, you need to make sure you deliver what you claim IMHO.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not that chuffed with my Skycaddie Linx coupled up with the Skycaddie app. It works well but the main reason I bought Skycaddie was for accuracy. However on several occasions over the past year important hazards just haven't appeared on the map or the watch. Most recently at the Oaks near York a ditch across the fairway clearly visible from the tee but no idea how far away because it just wasn't there as far as Skycaddie were concerned. No big deal if it was just once but this happens a fair amount. It also happens with other brands but they don't charge annual fees. If you sell on accuracy and charge annual fees when others don't on accuracy, you need to make sure you deliver what you claim IMHO.

SkyCaddie can only update their devices so everyone enjoys the accuracy if clubs notify of them changes, and when doing so, will always, unlike other brands, rewalk those holes where the changes have been made.

A letter and email goes out to all golf clubs through England Golf for the clubs to contact SkyScaddie, even fill out a form attached to notify of changes made or being proposed over a winter programme so that journey plans can be made by the mappers in those areas.

If members or visitors of clubs find hazards or major changes to courses they play they can even contact SkyCaddie Uk or let them know through the many social media media sites where they figure and inform then and very quickly they will revisit.

If they are not informed, how can they keep up the accuracy of changes?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do SC advertise that punters can inform them?
Take 100 clubs, if they all make changes to their course but don't tell SC and no punters realise they can inform SC then SkyCaddie's selling point and reason they charge a subscription becomes a liability.
My own view is that I don't feel I need the accuracy that SC provides, even if updates are made, for the £30 a year
If I entered a lot of Opens or other competitions I may be persuaded but I play mostly at one course and when I play away I play for fun.
If there's a new ditch or bunker that isn't on my Garmin then it's really not the end of the world.
I'm happy with the accuracy Garmin gives me

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do SC advertise that punters can inform them?
Take 100 clubs, if they all make changes to their course but don't tell SC and no punters realise they can inform SC then SkyCaddie's selling point and reason they charge a subscription becomes a liability.

In a word.... Yes. There is a course update request on their website. I have twice notified them of changes of Stroke Indexes at courses I've played and changes of course features. The Indexes were changed within a couple of days after sending them scorecards whilst changes in features obviously took a little longer as they had to be re-walked. (Incidentally, the courses concerned had not contacted SkyCaddie to notify them)

It would be interesting to know how quickly other devices are updated. Google Maps of my area hasn't been updated for at least fifteen years!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Did you download the course before you played it or did you just turn up and hope for the best? The touch has the option of "locating nearby courses" or using the courses you have downloaded. I was told to use the downloaded course as its the most accurate.

As has been said drop Skycaddie an email it'll be sorted almost straight away.

On the flip side I have played a course recently where a green was moved two years ago and another brand hadn't updated that yet which is horrendous service.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you download the course before you played it or did you just turn up and hope for the best? The touch has the option of "locating nearby courses" or using the courses you have downloaded. I was told to use the downloaded course as its the most accurate.

As has been said drop Skycaddie an email it'll be sorted almost straight away.

On the flip side I have played a course recently where a green was moved two years ago and another brand hadn't updated that yet which is horrendous service.
I turn up at a course, select the play golf option, select the course from the ones it offers and go play. Is there something else I should be doing?

If I have never played the course before how do I know if any hazards are missing?

Don't get me wrong. This isn't an everyday occurrence. It's just annoying that I went with Sky Caddie for accuracy and I don't always get it when there are less expensive alternatives on the market that are probably just as good.

I use the watch only at my home course as I know where the hazards are. I bought the Linx because it "Linx" up with the app to show a detailed map of the hole with yardages, which is brilliant if you are playing on a strange course. If you can see a hazard but it's not on the map it kind of negates it's usefulness in that regard. Now I also had that with Golf Buddy. Playing a course in Scotland, decided to go long as all the trouble was shown at the front of the green to find I had rolled into a bunker at the back that wasn't on the map. The difference is that Golf Buddy didn't hit me for renewal fees and don't make accuracy a main USP.

I get that the clubs should inform the GPS companies of changes, but as a subscriber and customer should it be up to me to inform Skycaddie every time I see an anomaly, so they can charge me for accuracy? I am not sure. On one hand you are helping the "golf community" but if I am paying for a service, shouldn't I just be provided with it? I don't ask my customers to help me provide my service and then charge them for it. Nor do I use the assistance they supply as a reason to claim superior service and as a result charge more than the opposition.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not sure how your model works tbh but the Touch has the option to use nearby courses if you haven't downloaded the course you want.

I was told (may not be correct) that I should always try to use the downloaded courses as they are more accurate and loaded with more information.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm not sure how your model works tbh but the Touch has the option to use nearby courses if you haven't downloaded the course you want.

I was told (may not be correct) that I should always try to use the downloaded courses as they are more accurate and loaded with more information.

If you download the course and save it you then get the extra features if available through the subscription you are paying and dependent on the model of GPS you have, such as Intelligent Green. If you use just the wireless on the day it will give all the basic features, if you download the course before it also syncs your device and gives all the extra features for that course and any updates.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I get that the clubs should inform the GPS companies of changes, but as a subscriber and customer should it be up to me to inform Skycaddie every time I see an anomaly, so they can charge me for accuracy? I am not sure. On one hand you are helping the "golf community" but if I am paying for a service, shouldn't I just be provided with it? I don't ask my customers to help me provide my service and then charge them for it. Nor do I use the assistance they supply as a reason to claim superior service and as a result charge more than the opposition.

Ground mappers in specific areas keep in contact with the golf clubs in their areas the best they can, but there are hundreds! They follow them through social media platforms as some announce directly as a club or have greens accounts and they display the changes they are making, the mappers can then contact them and ask permission to visit.

Not all golf clubs allow SkyCaddie to visit and ground map as some believe it affects the revenue gained from yardage maps and some are just stubborn and set in there own ways and refuse for there own warped reasons!

Even telephoning the clubs around October/November when most have an idea of what winter programmes they are going to do does not guarantee SkyCaddie is afforded the correct information, if any. It's difficult to speak directly to a head greenkeeper and secretary's don't know there arse from there elbow, so attempting to glean information can be quite tiresome and so information from golfers reporting changes can be crucial in keeping things up to date.

Once know and afforded permission the changes can happen within days dependent on the clubs location, but unlike other brands, it doesn't have to wait for a third party company to download any new aerial imagery, which won't be anywhere near as accurate as ground mapping.