VERY Disappointed with my new SkyCaddie Touch - be warned

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
To everyone,

I have recently, last week, upgraded my Sky Caddie SGXw to a new Sky Caddie Touch device. I am a long time Sky Caddie user - this is my third device in 10+ years.

At first I was very pleased - but having used it twice now on the course I have discovered the battery "only just" lasts a round. I play at a relatively short course and my round time is between 3-3.5 hours. On this short course the device after 14-15 holes turns itself off. I then have to restart it and acknowledge that it needs charging soon, to proceed to the end of the round. This is unacceptable as I believe if and when I play a bigger course and need the device for 4.5 - 5 hours, I have no confidence it will last. Before anyone says anything - I have made sure the device was fully charged before the start of each round.

The problem I believe is that the Touch does not power itself down into standby mode when you are simply walking or not needing it as the SGXw used to do. The Touch stays on the whole time, constantly using the battery life.

I contacted the Sky Golf support who confirmed there is no feature that can be enabled to put the device into standby mode in the settings, and that to conserve the battery I should set the screen brightness to 25%. I explained I had already done that and it made little difference. I also felt they were quite dismissive of my issue which I found disappointing.

So - in summary I feel aggrieved and wanted to share my experience with everyone. Had I known this was going to be a problem, I do not think I would have bought the - very expensive - device. I would have bought another brand which has a good battery life system. The all singing all dancing features are great, but I want a device which at a minimum will last a round.

So in summary - Forumers be warned - if you are thinking of buying a Sky Caddie Touch and you play rounds of 4-5 hours, you may need to carry a battery charger with you on the course as I have to now.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It seems a pretty fundamental flaw as its pretty well known that an 18 hole game is circa 4 hours.

I wonder if yours is duff: what does their blurb state battery life to be?

D

Deleted member 16999

I've had the Touch for 15 months now and have never had that happen, I have played some 5hr plus rounds and been fine, maybe your battery is faulty or it's not as fully charged as you think.

I charge mine the night before I need it, I know some charge there's after they've used it and expect it to hold the full charge till next time required.

If it's so new I would send it back for a replacement.

As I say mine is fine and never had the issues you've encountered.

Edit: Just checked mine and I have all view options ticked and brightness on 50%

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I do not have a Touch, I have a Linx and I have always had battery issues so much so that I have always have to fully discharge the unit before charging and having a back up Garmin for 36 holes. Because of this I will not buy a Skycaddie product again.

I have just looked on the Skycaddie Forum and there is a post about poor battery performance and one suggestion is to turn off the Autoview as this is a big drain on the on the battery, you can but try if you do not use this feature.

Good luck

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have a Touch and it's never gone on me, even on 36 holes.

My battery drained at the very beginning but I reduced the light which didn't affect the viewing at all and I comfortably get 2 rounds a day in.

At first like with many devices, it can take a good lengthy charging period to fully charge the battery, just because the light changes to solid doesnt mean it's fully charged.

I would leave it on charge for at least 48hrs, reduce the screen light and then see if it lasts, if not, simply take it back to the shop your purchased if from and state you believe it to be faulty.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a Touch and it's never gone on me, even on 36 holes.

My battery drained at the very beginning but I reduced the light which didn't affect the viewing at all and I comfortably get 2 rounds a day in.

At first like with many devices, it can take a good lengthy charging period to fully charge the battery, just because the light changes to solid doesnt mean it's fully charged.

I would leave it on charge for at least 48hrs, reduce the screen light and then see if it lasts, if not, simply take it back to the shop your purchased if from and state you believe it to be faulty.

Fish, I will do what you say - but I've just read some reviews on the SKY Caddie forum and many people seem to have the same issue. interesting. I wish I read those first before buying

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To my mind everything​ battery powered should have to state battery life with everything on full pelt.
What's the point in having to turn the display down to 25% in order to have enough juice to complete a standard round..? It's the same with phones and tablets - just put a bigger damn battery in it..!😠

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fish, I will do what you say - but I've just read some reviews on the SKY Caddie forum and many people seem to have the same issue. interesting. I wish I read those first before buying

The screen light is a huge drain, just like on my iPhone, so I scale it down.

I've known people charge an item, any item to be honest until the light goes solid, take it off charge for a few days and then expect it to perform fully, but if won't.

Some batteries need a real long time to initially get where they need to be, then there ok from that point. However, I do leave mine plugged in all the time between uses as it does switch itself off when fully charged.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
To my mind everything​ battery powered should have to state battery life with everything on full pelt.
What's the point in having to turn the display down to 25% in order to have enough juice to complete a standard round..? It's the same with phones and tablets - just put a bigger damn battery in it..!😠

If really doesn't need to be as bright as 100%, scaling it down makes no real notable difference tbh, but it protects the battery life massively.

People want small and slender (do you remember those days 😜 ) which a bigger bulkier battery wouldn't help with.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So make the screen lees bright at the manufacturing stage...instead of producing it at 100%, produce it to 40%
If it's not needed......🤔

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So make the screen lees bright at the manufacturing stage...instead of producing it at 100%, produce it to 40%
If it's not needed......🤔

Why buy a 3.2 litre car when you can only drive to 70mph.

The screen is no doubt just built to a full capacity like phones and other items and you simply scale it down accordingly, it's not a biggy imo.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
unfit for purpose, send it back.

This is my view too. A GPS device that cannot sustain its power for what's a fairly universally accepted period of time cannot be acceptable.

One of my PPs has the same unit with no such issues. Sounds like yours is faulty and should be replaced or refunded without a quibble.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a touch and must say I could do 2 rounds with it, light was set to 50%.

Lost the dam thing and replaced it with the Garmin G8, only because my pro had a cracking deal on it, now that thing can do 3 rounds no problem.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys - after "toing and froing" with SkyGolf customer support, they have agreed if I return the device for checking - they will provide a replacement if it is found to be faulty.

This is at least progress, however I am still disappointed as they won't send me a new one UNTIL I return mine by post. I am therefore going to be without the device for a while. I suggested to the Cust service engineer I spoke to that if I had bought the device from a retailer, I would take it back and demand an immediate replacement. By buying direct I had in fact put myself in a position where the level of support I am reviewing has reduced. He refused to comment.

So - lessons learnt. DONT buy a product direct from Sky Golf they don't care about customer service, I've been a customer for ten years and this made no difference. If you must buy a SkyCaddie, buy it from your Pro.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Guys - after "toing and froing" with SkyGolf customer support, they have agreed if I return the device for checking - they will provide a replacement if it is found to be faulty.

This is at least progress, however I am still disappointed as they won't send me a new one UNTIL I return mine by post. I am therefore going to be without the device for a while. I suggested to the Cust service engineer I spoke to that if I had bought the device from a retailer, I would take it back and demand an immediate replacement. By buying direct I had in fact put myself in a position where the level of support I am reviewing has reduced. He refused to comment.

So - lessons learnt. DONT buy a product direct from Sky Golf they don't care about customer service, I've been a customer for ten years and this made no difference. If you must buy a SkyCaddie, buy it from your Pro.

I was a large retailer for many years and I'd never send out anything until I received what was possibly perceived to be faulty and either checked it myself, if I was able, or sent it back to the wholesaler or manufacturer.

If you didn't adopted this you would be sending new items out with no chance of getting them back if it turned out there was either nothing wrong or it was user error or damaged by the customer, you wouldn't be in business very long doing that!!

You get the item back and test it, if it's faulty you replace it or refund it, customers choice, if it's ok you return it to the customer.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Fish, I know that - but my point still stands. I am without my device (a very expensive device) because I did not buy from a retailer. If I could take it back I know I would get a replacement. Because I bought direct from Sky Golf -I have no local support.

So I stand by my statement -lesson learnt buy from your local pro as they give better support.

To me - Sky Caddie should have offered me the option to take it to a retailer for exchange. That way they guarantee to get my device back and I am happy.

Now I have to return it by post for them to examine it to decide wether it is faulty and they will then replace it. This will take days (at least a week) so I stand by my criticism - not good service.