Vegan groups being “militant”

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
A lot of cider isn’t because it’s fined with animal derived products.
They regard it as enslaving an animal for ones' own personal enjoyment!
I also read that horse riding falls under the same category and a proper vegan should merely walk alongside the horse, rather than on it, even if the saddle is not a leather one.
Lewis Hamilton rents his pet dog to model agencies for several hundred dollars a day and he's just been voted Vegan Man of the Year .................... go figure!

I don't know where you got that from. I am sure most vegans and veggies have pets. You obviously have a problem with people choosing not to eat meat, but that's your option I suppose

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Tbf if someone owns a pet, they’re choosing the pets need for meat over said foods right to live aren’t they?

Cats for example are natural hunters. Plenty of feral ones survive without our help. But if a vegan owns a pet then the vegan has decided they’d rather have the pleasure of a pet than worry about where their meat comes from.

Have you ever heard of live and live? I have been a vegetarian for 55 years, and all this time I have to put up with idiots constantly trying to catch me out. Honestly, it's like I am doing something wrong. You will find every veggie and vegan experience the same. "Did you know there is this in that, did you know what you are wearing comes from that". We are simply following our conscience, that's all. If you want to eat meat, I have absolutely no problem with it, I choose not to. Honestly mate, your just being boring !

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Have you ever heard of live and live? I have been a vegetarian for 55 years, and all this time I have to put up with idiots constantly trying to catch me out. Honestly, it's like I am doing something wrong. You will find every veggie and vegan experience the same. "Did you know there is this in that, did you know what you are wearing comes from that". We are simply following our conscience, that's all. If you want to eat meat, I have absolutely no problem with it, I chose not to. Honestly mate, your just being boring !

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I haven’t questioned about what is in what have I? I haven’t used any of the reasonings you’ve just mentioned. Seems to me that you’ve had a paddy as you’ve been asked a question that you haven’t got an answer to. Unilike the previous comments where you had your ready made response lined up...

FWIW The most common argument I hear from a vegan is that humans don’t need eat, and we are putting our needs ahead of the animals. Well humans don’t need pets either. But are putting their needs for companionship ahead of the animals that become food....

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I haven’t questioned about what is in what have I? I haven’t used any of the reasonings you’ve just mentioned. Seems to me that you’ve had a paddy as you’ve been asked a question that you haven’t got an answer to. Unilike the previous comments where you had your ready made response lined up...

FWIW The most common argument I hear from a vegan is that humans don’t need eat, and we are putting our needs ahead of the animals. Well humans don’t need pets either. But are putting their needs for companionship ahead of the animals that become food....

Honestly, I have heard all sorts of arguments, and people attempting to catch me out, but the pet argument you have brought up is a new one on me. Vegans and veggies keep pets for the same reasons anyone else. We enjoy their company, and they enjoy ours. We keep pets because we love animals and want to care for them, not because we want to make their lives miserable. I would be prepared to sell my house to pay for my dogs medical treatment if I had to. I give up a full day a week for nothing to help at a Donkey sanctuary, and I do this because I want them to have a better life. Your logic is completely unfounded

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Honestly, I have heard all sorts of arguments, and people attempting to catch me out, but the pet argument you have brought up is a new one on me. Vegans and veggies keep pets for the same reasons anyone else. We enjoy their company, and they enjoy ours. We keep pets because we love animals and want to care for them, not because we want to make their lives miserable. I would be prepared to sell my house to pay for my dogs medical treatment if I had to. I give up a full day a week for nothing to help at a Donkey sanctuary, and I do this because I want them to have a better life. Your logic is completely unfounded

I fully accept the reasons why everyone should own a pet. It's to care for it. They are part of the family. I'm not doubting those reasons at all.

But my question wasn't why would you want to own one. It was simply that all vegans I've met (you may be different) give meat eaters grief because animals are dying needlessly to feed us. So I was simply curious What would make a vegan who believes that. Put their pets need ahead of others. I mean if you had a pet before becoming vegan them you're not gonna give it up. But as you've been vegan for 55 years. When the decision was made for you to get one. You had a choice. Get a pet that will need meat from dead animals, or not get one. Meaning less animals in theory are harmed.

For the record. I don't think anyone having a pet is wrong. I just think that when a meat eaters is asked why they eat meat and respond "because I want to" they are condemned. Yet That seems to be the same answer a vegan would give for having a pet. "Because they want to".

Either way, i'd respect your answer. This wasn't a witch hunt. Was just curious of Your answer. As you say, live and let live.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I fully accept the reasons why everyone should own a pet. It's to care for it. They are part of the family. I'm not doubting those reasons at all.

But my question wasn't why would you want to own one. It was simply that all vegans I've met (you may be different) give meat eaters grief because animals are dying needlessly to feed us. So I was simply curious What would make a vegan who believes that. Put their pets need ahead of others. I mean if you had a pet before becoming vegan them you're not gonna give it up. But as you've been vegan for 55 years. When the decision was made for you to get one. You had a choice. Get a pet that will need meat from dead animals, or not get one. Meaning less animals in theory are harmed.

For the record. I don't think anyone having a pet is wrong. I just think that when a meat eaters is asked why they eat meat and respond "because I want to" they are condemned. Yet That seems to be the same answer a vegan would give for having a pet. "Because they want to".

Either way, i'd respect your answer. This wasn't a witch hunt. Was just curious of Your answer. As you say, live and let live.

Cats are carnivorous, and dogs are omnivorous. As it happens, my sons Staff is nearly 14 and has had a veggie diet all his life. I on the other hand have fed my dog meat all her life. You are right in the fact we slaughter animals, and as a result some of the meat goes into pet food. If we stopped eating meat tomorrow we would need a plan "B" for pet food, but let's be honest, there is no chance of that happening, and I have no intention of rioting like some of the idiots referred to in the thread. In the meantime all I ask is the farm animals are treated with respect whilst they live, and treated with even more respect when it is time for them to die. I would like to think you agree with this sentiment, if nothing else !

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If I could eat vegetables I’d be a vegan. The texture and the fact that they are the number one cause of food poisoning is enough to make barf.
It annoys me that those who do eat fruit and veg continue to aid in the slaughter of animals.

Played golf by a pig farm once. You could hear them screaming. Stopped eating pork that day.

Currently limited to beef and chicken at the minute.
There needs to be more/better meat free alternatives for people like me.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know where you got that from. I am sure most vegans and veggies have pets. You obviously have a problem with people choosing not to eat meat, but that's your option I suppose

The Philosophical Vegan Forum.
A few bits from said site;
Predators like lions are bloodthirsty killer machines and monsters, not innocent animals. I couldnt care less if all lions on this planet would die and every vegan should have this stancepoint.

Cats also have already killed about 80 species in the last few deccenia as cats became way more widespread than other animals. And even think about all the mice and birds that cats kill outside when they dont eat all the cows, pigs, fish and chickens we feed to them.
No matter how cute cats may look like, just as vegans had to 'conquer' good looking food, we must now also conquer the cute looks of our cats. I am being really serious here, I'm not joking even if it may seem so.

As veganism also tried to limit climate change/global warming/greenhouse effect to every bit they can, it is logical to take the bicycle as much as one can, and to only take a car (which can also be as green and sustainable as possible) when really needed. Vacations are better if they are as local as possible. Taking the airplane and car and stuff is hypocritical

.................................... and that's in just a few minutes of looking!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The Philosophical Vegan Forum.
A few bits from said site;
Predators like lions are bloodthirsty killer machines and monsters, not innocent animals. I couldnt care less if all lions on this planet would die and every vegan should have this stancepoint.

Cats also have already killed about 80 species in the last few deccenia as cats became way more widespread than other animals. And even think about all the mice and birds that cats kill outside when they dont eat all the cows, pigs, fish and chickens we feed to them.
No matter how cute cats may look like, just as vegans had to 'conquer' good looking food, we must now also conquer the cute looks of our cats. I am being really serious here, I'm not joking even if it may seem so.

As veganism also tried to limit climate change/global warming/greenhouse effect to every bit they can, it is logical to take the bicycle as much as one can, and to only take a car (which can also be as green and sustainable as possible) when really needed. Vacations are better if they are as local as possible. Taking the airplane and car and stuff is hypocritical

.................................... and that's in just a few minutes of looking!
These are just the rantings of a loon!!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I could eat vegetables I’d be a vegan. The texture and the fact that they are the number one cause of food poisoning is enough to make barf.
It annoys me that those who do eat fruit and veg continue to aid in the slaughter of animals.

Played golf by a pig farm once. You could hear them screaming. Stopped eating pork that day.

like fast food "chicken" nuggets

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site

There are many good alternatives, but to be honest there are some pretty bad ones as well. I suggest you shop around and try some, but be prepared to have some bad experiences on the way. Forget the ham and bacon, they are dreadful. The mince USED CORRECTLY can be good. Good veggie burgers, sausages, chicken pieces, and frankfurters may surprise you.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
The dairy we got our milk delivered from installed a huge extractor to remove gas released by the cows to reduce pollution, a bit like a fart catcher but a more expensive version.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I follow a veggie diet two or three days a week not because I feel the need to help save the planet... Rather because I actually enjoy eating it... And, I certainly don't ever feel under nourished...