Valderrama

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watching the E.T Andalucia Valderrama Masters and thinking how much I regret not playing it last time I was in the area - having opted to play a few cheaper courses instead

Anyone played it? As good (and tough) as it looks?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes and yes. After a friendly chat with the manager, he told me to play off the back tees because of my handicap. Tough course but really loved it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How playable is it for a 'normal' golfer? When I'm watching it, it looks like it would be a right royal pain in the behind to struggle round.
Obviously, that might say more about my game than the course....

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's the only course I have ever played where you can be on the fairway and not have a shot to the green! Some of the overhanging trees mean you have to be on the correct part of the fairway not just simply on it. And the greens were silly quick so add in a few slopes and you need a hot putter.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the only course I have ever played where you can be on the fairway and not have a shot to the green! Some of the overhanging trees mean you have to be on the correct part of the fairway not just simply on it. And the greens were silly quick so add in a few slopes and you need a hot putter.

Seeing a lot of shots shaped (and/or punched low/smashed high) from the fairways to avoid the overhanging trees.

Makes good viewing

Greens look pure/treacherous

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember watching a lot of an event at Valdarama a few years ago, which Andrew Johnson (Beef) won.

That week there were crazy winds and it looked brutal. I have a feeling Beef won with a score of +2!

For me, too many trees, and a lot of these which will have grown up since the original course was layed out. It does look like a lot of the landing areas are pretty wide, but I'd prefer a course with far fewer trees.

But much like Le Golf National (and it's lakes), I think these courses are a good fit for pro events. Walton Heath as well, with a bit of weather and a lot of heather.

Valdarama and Le Golf National, I'm not sure they are ones I would want to play, and certainly not play regularly but the Pros play a different game and it is right that they play tougher courses and tougher set ups for €500,000 to the winner. I would love to play at Walton Heath, ideally on a day without much wind.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Some friends of mine played Valderama. The scores were horrific, and they are ok golfers. To me, it is not a course I want to play. I go on holiday to have a laugh, and beating myself up round Valderama is not high on my list. Looks beaut, plays brutal. No thanks.

D

Deleted member 1418

Some friends of mine played Valderama. The scores were horrific, and they are ok golfers. To me, it is not a course I want to play. I go on holiday to have a laugh, and beating myself up round Valderama is not high on my list. Looks beaut, plays brutal. No thanks.

I'd love to play it. And I wouldn't actually mind if it did beat me up - gives me even more of an excuse to drink a few extra cold San Miguels and a bottle of Rioja!! I know that would tempt you Murph................!!!!;):D:D:D:D

D

Deleted member 1418

The course suits shaped shots, so should be perfect for me as I have never hit a straight shot.:eek:

Going on Saturday and Sunday to watch, so hope thunder storms keep off.

Fingers crossed for you Rich. Thunderbolts and lightning are very very frightening! ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd love to play it. And I wouldn't actually mind if it did beat me up - gives me even more of an excuse to drink a few extra cold San Miguels and a bottle of Rioja!! I know that would tempt you Murph................!!!!;):D:D:D:D

They played matchplay. Can I have that for a 13? No, I don't give putts for the win.

Wolf

Visit site
Ever since watching the 97 Ryder cup on TV I've wanted to play it. Would love the chance to have to try invent g a few shots and testing my brain on how to plot a route round it. Loved watching it yesterday and will all weekend

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I remember watching a lot of an event at Valdarama a few years ago, which Andrew Johnson (Beef) won.

That week there were crazy winds and it looked brutal. I have a feeling Beef won with a score of +2!

For me, too many trees, and a lot of these which will have grown up since the original course was layed out. It does look like a lot of the landing areas are pretty wide, but I'd prefer a course with far fewer trees.

But much like Le Golf National (and it's lakes), I think these courses are a good fit for pro events. Walton Heath as well, with a bit of weather and a lot of heather.

Valdarama and Le Golf National, I'm not sure they are ones I would want to play, and certainly not play regularly but the Pros play a different game and it is right that they play tougher courses and tougher set ups for €500,000 to the winner. I would love to play at Walton Heath, ideally on a day without much wind.

I am hoping to play Walton Heath early in the new year on their winter deal. I have played both courses in the past and loved them both, with The Old just edging it

D

Deleted Member 1156

Turned up at Valdarama once while staying nearby, was offered a tee time but as I'd be paying 2 green fees the cost put me off! (wish I could remember what it was)
I paid 250 euros (about £175) when I played it about 2005 ish, most expensive green fee I had paid up to that point.