V1 golf software on ipad

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Need some help please:

I have the V1 golf app on my ipad. I have tried using this to video my swing directly, but frankly the camera is no where near good enough.

I now have a casio digital camera, and when set to 240 fps gives a fair picture of my swing. I can import this onto my ipad, and can view it fine in the photo's software on the device.

The film clips are only about 10 seconds, so although big files, are not silly.

If I import into V1, using the camera button, import new files, then it compresses the file into a format which is useless. About 10 fps, by the look of it.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Do I need to upload my film to their web site by establishing an account with V1?

I am going to email them about this, as in my view the software is useless if it is going to compress the file size.

Thanks.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too. I recorded some videos using my phone camera which is HD and very good quality. Look great in real time but if you import them to V1 (on my phone) and try to analyse them, the frame rate goes down the pan.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too. I recorded some videos using my phone camera which is HD and very good quality. Look great in real time but if you import them to V1 (on my phone) and try to analyse them, the frame rate goes down the pan.

Yes same problem here to. Have given up on it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
worth you all trying freemake video convertor- free, just google it- it will convert the file into iPad friendly and hopefully keep the same quality- it has for everything I've converted onto my iPad and iPhone

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
worth you all trying freemake video convertor- free, just google it- it will convert the file into iPad friendly and hopefully keep the same quality- it has for everything I've converted onto my iPad and iPhone

But my camera records in .mov format, which is ipad compatible anyway. It plays fine on the ipad, just gets compressed when V1 gets it's hands on it.

Any one tried GASP instead of V1?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But my camera records in .mov format, which is ipad compatible anyway. It plays fine on the ipad, just gets compressed when V1 gets it's hands on it.

Any one tried GASP instead of V1?

Ahh I see, yes .mov is compatatible, it does look like V1 is adjusting the framerate. why not try converting the file to Mp4 via freemake and see if it makes any difference? its quick and freemake even loads it into itunes automatically for you

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I dont have an i pad so not sure what issues you have but there is some info on the V1 website

http://www.v1sports.com/support/kb/article.php?id=133

HTH

Hi bob, thanks for looking, but as Aztecs says, the problem isn't getting the file onto the ipad, it is when V1 imports it, it compresses the file down, and the fps drops.

I have emailed their tech support, and will report back what they say, if they reply.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, they have come back with the following:

Unfortunately the V1 Golf App has some limitations. This being one of them. It is geared towards amateur golfers, not teaching professionals. Basically, the app is less than 10 dollars; so you get what you pay for. We have some other software options, such as V1 Home, and V1 Pro 2010, which are varying price points. I will copy the sales team here and have them contact you with some more details.

So basically, you need V1 home, at £40, but it only runs on a pc, not an ipad.

There really should be something in their app advert which states that video can only be brought in at a low fps, as although the app is cheap, it is pretty useless.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, they have come back with the following:

Unfortunately the V1 Golf App has some limitations. This being one of them. It is geared towards amateur golfers, not teaching professionals. Basically, the app is less than 10 dollars; so you get what you pay for. We have some other software options, such as V1 Home, and V1 Pro 2010, which are varying price points. I will copy the sales team here and have them contact you with some more details.

So basically, you need V1 home, at £40, but it only runs on a pc, not an ipad.

There really should be something in their app advert which states that video can only be brought in at a low fps, as although the app is cheap, it is pretty useless.

What a ridiculous reply!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I get round to it, I will have a look at the GASP app. This does similar, and sadly, also compresses the video file, but apparently a bit less than V1. It might do what I want, and at £3 is worth a punt.

Really feel these apps should point this out.

A bit like the iphone apps for GPS not being legal for comps. I told a mate that on Saturday, when he was extolling the virtues of his app, and he was not impressed. Bet he still uses it though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
V1 are now looking into it. They say it does import at 230 fps, or what ever the movie was shot in, but then go on to state that it is a function of the ipad to compress it, not their software. Odd that it plays fine in quick time on the ipad, and only cmpresses when importing into V1. They claim to have been donig this fine, and sent me a link to a you tube video of them shooting and importing a file. But then on their screen, it still says compressing file, and afterwards the video goes all jerky. If they think that's fine, then they are easily satisfied.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry to take this a little off course, but does anyone pay for the home premium version for PC rather than use the free one, and is it worth the $40 or whatever it is?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Gary, PM me your address and I'll send you my copy of the $40 version. You can have a play around and see what you think.
I know it has the split screen and a few other extras but dont know if it compresses files.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That is the version my coach uses, and it seems fine. He uses a similar Casio camera, and it has no problems importing.

V1 seem to think it is a problem with the way portable devices handle video.

Why sell the app though?