Using a stand bag with a trolley

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
So I recently started playing golf on various council owned courses along with my Dad and his friend. Both have got golf trolleys and I have just been carrying my bag around. It's a stand bag and quite bulky. I decided to buy a cheap golf trolley because of the obvious benefit of moving about, not get tired fast etc etc. Anyway my bag fits quite well onto the trolley but needs tightened regularly to stop the bag rotating and potentially capsizing the trolley. I really, really don't think my girlfriend will cope if I spend even more money so soon on my new hobby. Basically what I want is a general consensus if a) it's feasible to use my stand bag with a trolley and b) if I'm going to look a prize pillock strolling about with the bag on a trolley.
If anyone has discovered any techniques to persuade the other half that golf gear really is a great investment then those are also welcome :clap:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use all my bags on my trolley at times, and 3 are definitely not trolley bags. The secret is to establish the best way each sits on the trolley, and this is best done at home patiently rather than in the carpark. You may find straps, or bungees, necessary either in addition or as well as your trolley's arrangement.

As regards this particular investment - it's the only simple sale I know. Just point out that your bag doesn't fit your trolley and that you need her to carry the bag......

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
As long as you tie the straps up tight enough then a stand bag will sit on a trolley no problem. Just check the straps after each hole.

I put my stand bag on a trolley for comps. I don't care what they think. If they want a laugh, watch my swing. :p

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've never had a trolley that doesn't need to be tightened up every 6 or so holes and if have very good trolleys, just think of all that weight that them tiny little straps have to deal with. It's just one of those things ;)
Or
Just do what I do and buy a bit of new kit and don't tell her after a while she won't even look at your kit because she's fed up with ll your rambling about the day golf you have played. :)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This has been a right pain for years and why dont the bag manufacturers take note

With sudden trolley bans etc we need to be able to use stand / carry bags on trolleys

Personally the first company to make a decent trolley ( push ) that takes standbags with some thought or bag maker that designs it to fit trolleys they have a great seller

Some bags have dabbled, Mizuno Twister, Titleist current model etc etc

But to answer your question stand bags on trolleys are very well accepted and quite normal unless you are very old / or medical reason and use a huge cart bag and leccy trolley because you are unable to carry

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
So long as I'm not going to look like I'm crazy! I would try to get away with buying a new one and telling the other half I haven't spent much but she has to take delivery of my new 3 wood and hybrid tomorrow so she might see through that one!! :whistle:

In truth I've never actually noticed what kind of bags people have on trolleys, I bet now I've asked this everyone I see will have a stand bag on their trolleys. Thanks for the replies guys, reassured me I can safely venture to the course without looking like a tool. At least until the first tee. :rofl:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheape trolleys don't tend to handle any bag that well without having the straps really really tight. I have used stand and cart bags on my cheap pull trolley and both types have rotated when the straps got loose.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
This has been a right pain for years and why dont the bag manufacturers take not
With sudden trolley bans etc we need to be able to use stand / carry bags on trolleys
Personally the first company to make a decent trolley ( push ) that takes standbags with some thought or bag maker that designs it to fit trolleys they have a great sell
Some bags have dabbled, Mizuno Twister, Titleist current model etc etc
But to answer your question stand bags on trolleys are very well accepted and quite normal unless you are very old / or medical reason and use a huge cart bag and leccy trolley because you are
unable to carry

Motocaddy have just launched a hybrid stand/cart bag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My carry bag is a problem bag with trolleys too.

There is a carry bag that has a peculiar grey plastic piece on the end. Apparently, this is meant to allow it to work with trollies and the 2 guys I've met that have them both say it works. Haven't experienced it myself - and forgotten what bag it is - but probably worth hunting for next bag.

Meanwhile, I'd say just keep carrying. Doesn't really cost much in energy over a trolley.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem with my old trolley, the straps aint that good so i bought the bungee straps and they seemed to hold it a bit better even though i still had to move the bag every 5 holes or so but with my new one no need for bungee cords as the neck of the new trolley seems to hold the bag a lot better and i only need to use the straps that came with it.But for now i would go out and spend £1.99 or so on bungee cords.

GTO NEMESIS

Club Champion
Visit site
R11 Stand bag, basic 14 year old (although hardly used) 2 wheel pull trolley and a bungy straps.
Before the straps it was a pain in the butt, with the bungys it is great!

I have to leave my trolly at the club house (outside) as I can't fit in in the 911 with two sets of clubs and a passenger. It's a cheap arse fix but it works a treat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would have tohught a few well placed bungee straps will help keep it in place. To be honest as long as you don't have to stop and keep fixing it every hole and potentially hold players behind you up then I wouldn't worry what it looks like as long as you can get to the important pockets (balls drinks etc) and can the clubss in and out easily

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found it was just working out the best angle to put the bag on the trolley. I ended up putting it on it's side. Was a bit of a pain as couldn't get to one of the pockets but stopped the bag wobbling around.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't got round to reinstating my trolley bag after carrying over the winter. Carry bag goes fine on my cheap trolley and I don't care if anyone thinks it looks odd. It's really handy - I still carry when practising but shove it on the trolley for comps. Only problem is a lack of space in the bag, especially in this wet weather.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Decided to take it round 9 holes today after getting some bungee cords on it and only had to tighten it once between the 7th and 8th. Should work fine for the time being but I spent too long yesterday looking at new bags :rolleyes: saw a couple I like so probably gonna buy one this month and switch between the 2 depending on weather etc. Cheers for everyone that suggested straps.

Just need to blag the new bag as an early birthday present to myself :thup:

GripandRip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I always use bungee cords as I got fed up of tightening the straps just after the bag had fallen off. I probably look like a muppet but then, if anyone saw me put, that wouldn't come as a shock :smirk: