Using a golf buggy

Wheyayeman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can you use a golf buggy in a competition without a medical certificate? My understanding was no you couldn't but i cant find it anywhere (obvious) in the rules and now i'm thinking it may just be a local rule or even worse an urban myth I've believed for years

Wheyayeman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that

We have our 36 hole club champs on Sunday and a couple of the older guys are wanting a buggy. I've told them they cant but wanted the hard facts

So thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that

We have our 36 hole club champs on Sunday and a couple of the older guys are wanting a buggy. I've told them they cant but wanted the hard facts

So thanks

It is up to your Committee to make it a Condition of Competition or not

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As an aside we have some courses where buggy's are strongly recommended for normal play (might even have one compulsory) and we'll have club champs next month at a course where everyone will use a buggy unless the heavens open the day before

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that

We have our 36 hole club champs on Sunday and a couple of the older guys are wanting a buggy
. I've told them they cant but wanted the hard facts

So thanks

At a club I used to play at they let a guy, who struggled walking for 36 holes, play the second 18 in buggy.

D

Deleted member 18588

At a club I used to play at they let a guy, who struggled walking for 36 holes, play the second 18 in buggy.

And did they allow the unrestricted use of electric trolleys?

In the pro' game they are not permitted to facilitate a level playing field but this is not possible for club golfers. Some may have trolleys whilst others have not.

Such rulings are, in my view, the actions of pretentious club committees.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 18588

What do you mean by this statement?

On the PGA and European Tours all players are required to walk but have the assistance of a caddy.

In club competitions some players may have the assistance of a caddy or an electric trolley whilst others cannot afford either.

Therefore, it is impossible to create equal playing conditions.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Thanks for that

So thanks
Just wondering why anybody would be against an older person making use of a buggy so they can take part in a comp. My father in law can walk but after 14 holes is goosed so uses a buggy so he can play a full 18. He doesnt have a med cert but he can use it in a comp, he wouldnt take part otherwise which would be a shame. I think if you feel you need one u should be able to use one.

Unless your just fat AND LAZY, I know some people cant help weight but when youre just lazy then no you must walk.;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the PGA and European Tours all players are required to walk but have the assistance of a caddy.

Although the tours have transportation CoCs, they are not absolved from any disability legislation that may be in force. The CoCs make specific allowance for the Committee to permit players (or nominated drivers) to use a buggy in appropriate circumstances.

In club competitions, some players can afford expensive pro lessons, decent waterproofs, top of the range clubs and sleeves of new balls. No level playing field there. But no one ever claimed that golf was fair.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are allowed at my club now since getting new buggies but used to have a medical certificate requirement. This is to increase revenue to cover cost of the buggies to the club but generally only used by the older golfers.

D

Deleted member 18588

Although the tours have transportation CoCs, they are not absolved from any disability legislation that may be in force. The CoCs make specific allowance for the Committee to permit players (or nominated drivers) to use a buggy in appropriate circumstances.

In club competitions, some players can afford expensive pro lessons, decent waterproofs, top of the range clubs and sleeves of new balls. No level playing field there. But no one ever claimed that golf was fair.

Precisely!

So zero reason for Club Committees banning the use of buggies in competitions.

G

guest100718

I see the odd one out in comps, they are great as they allow people to compete who wouldn't otherwise be able to.