Us pga black out

D

Deleted member 18588

I wouldn't really blame the BBC. They are not a sports broadcaster and only have a limited budget to bid for certain coverage. They generally broadcast things that they do cover extremely well.

Not being a sports broadcaster is a recent development on the part of the BBC.

Previously they were the major outlet for many sports and were extremely good a

However, attitudes changed (along with budgets) and after their complacency lead to a hardening of attitudes by many sports governing bodies they decided to virtually withdraw from all bidding, not just for golf.

As for minority sports; well they continue to provide saturation coverage of a sport with far fewer participants than golf and far less success by domestic players. But then very few BBC executives play golf these days and Wimbledon is nicely convenient to their base in Central London.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't quite get the animosity against online streamed services. Sadly, with this connected internet world, the demise of terrestrial TV in eventually inevitable.

Almost all modern TVs are "smart" and in so, have a browser of some description. Those that don't have, will possibly have a console (xbox one, PS4 and the like) or have a blue-ray player of which most of these are quite 'smart'.

I don't agree with them being solely mobile app based as why would I watch anything more than a silly youtube video on a 5" phone screen.

I look forward to this service, and if it competes with Sky and the BBC for (DECENT) coverage, then I would happily part with money for it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Streaming is for kids, who expect everything for nothing, and are happy watching rubbish quality as long as they don't have to pay for it.

D

Deleted member 18588

And those who live in more rural locations where internet connectivity is often patchy?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Streaming is for kids, who expect everything for nothing, and are happy watching rubbish quality as long as they don't have to pay for it.

And that’s exactly who they need to aim at to get interest in the game

Majority of kids today don’t watch tv it’s all apps and streaming

We love golf already

Tbh I streamed the open on my phone down the pub as we went for a late lunch just as Woods was teeing off

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't quite get the animosity against online streamed services. Sadly, with this connected internet world, the demise of terrestrial TV in eventually inevitable.

Almost all modern TVs are "smart" and in so, have a browser of some description. Those that don't have, will possibly have a console (xbox one, PS4 and the like) or have a blue-ray player of which most of these are quite 'smart'.

I don't agree with them being solely mobile app based as why would I watch anything more than a silly youtube video on a 5" phone screen.

I look forward to this service, and if it competes with Sky and the BBC for (DECENT) coverage, then I would happily part with money for it.

The problem with smart tv's with browsers and PS4's etc with browsers is that they don't support the streaming of video because they don't have the required software or power to do it.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't agree streaming is for kids, I am passed the mid-life era, and love the technology!
Why does streaming have to be rubbish quality?
I happily pay for Netflix and get excellent quality video
I am sure Prime is also a superb service.

The problem with smart tv's with browsers and PS4's etc with browsers is that they don't support the streaming of video because they don't have the required software or power to do it.

Interesting, didn't know that as I don't use the browsers on my xbox or PS4 and don't have a smart tv.

to be honest, I am just playing devils advocate reference the streaming.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I live in the capital city, London, and my internet is too crap to get a decent picture when live sport is streamed

Watching something like the PGA doesn’t grow the game... it is far more obscure putting it on a random bloody site kids are not going to seek that out

If they really want to grow the game and don’t want Sky’s money give the rights to twitch and YouTube, get a load of viewers who would see that on their homepages

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live in the capital city, London, and my internet is too crap to get a decent picture when live sport is streamed

Watching something like the PGA doesn’t grow the game... it is far more obscure putting it on a random bloody site kids are not going to seek that out

If they really want to grow the game and don’t want Sky’s money give the rights to twitch and YouTube, get a load of viewers who would see that on their homepages

Have you actually read how they are doing it? First 2 days being streamed live via Facebook live ..

So that is basically what you have just suggested

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s not the responsibility of a broadcaster to grow the game or any sport tbf. It’s the governing bodies and it’s their greed that is taking these sports to other platforms and the highest bidder.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not the responsibility of a broadcaster to grow the game or any sport tbf. It’s the governing bodies and it’s their greed that is taking these sports to other platforms and the highest bidder.

Exactly Paul 👍
Totally agree

They won't gain viewers, they will lose them
Me for one
I'm a sky subscriber, so obviously preferred it all in one place

If it was available through another source to pay for (virgin/bt etc)
I wouldn't pay, I already have one subscription to sky
I don't do Facebook either, so I won't be seeing this event either
So that's me out then

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly Paul 👍
Totally agree

Me for one

So that's me out then
Plus this is the US PGA event, do any of us really believe they care about growing the game in the UK?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly Paul 👍
Totally agree

Me for one

So that's me out then

Will you not? They have a free app for Android and iOS systems... free 7 day pass for all to watch the pga for free

Be mad not to for free

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Will you not? They have a free app for Android and iOS systems... free 7 day pass for all to watch the pga for free

Be mad not to for free

I don't do facebook either. Never will.

One of the first rules of business is to look after and keep your existing customers. This sort of rubbish alienates, and a small number of newbies will not make up the short fall.

Falling viewers will reduce the advertising revenue, and long term, has to be bad for the game.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It all seems a bit bonkers to me.
I watch golf every week, 2 or sometimes 3 tournaments if they show Champions Tour or LPGA. It makes my Sky subscription worthwhile.
And now, when supposedly the 4th major of the year comes along it’s the one week I won’t watch any golf. Now I get that it may be streamed if you can find it etc etc but the truth is most (including golf fans like me) won’t bother.
Clearly trading Sky off for the BBC to take their event to a larger audience backfired massively for the US PGA. Certainly from the outside it would seem that Sky have been loyal broadcasters for the sport. The US PGA didn’t get the same loyalty from the BBC.
I am not sure how you can call it a major when it’s the only golf event you can’t watch on TV. The Trilby Tour gets more coverage.
The US PGA need to sort this and quick or risk losing their major status. Last year was bad, this is even worse. They can’t risk another year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only just seen this thread and it's 20 pages deep - can someone summarise please? Something about the PGA Champs not being on any TV channel??

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a decent sized telly that I watch golf on. I can't stream sport. Internet where I am, 15 miles from the capital is worse than it is in outer mongolia. I would not watch it on a phone anyway, its golf, the ball is small. Golf is best watched on telly. I could chrome cast it, but I have tried that, and in my house, the quality is rubbish.

If their target audience is kids who don't play golf, most of whom will be in bed when this is shown, they have lost the plot.

Fat, middle aged baldies are the target audience, and showing the 4th major online is not going to change this. Ever.