Us pga black out

D

Deleted member 15344

You say tomato.......

Have i missed the bit where Eleven sports is free? I know the first to days will be on fb and in theory you could take out a trial for it, but they are still a streaming site that want to get money from you.

I agree re the rest, i think BBC whilst not doing a great job last year, did the best they could at short notice.

You can register for a 7 day free trial - a bit like Netflix so you can watch the event then cancel , it’s all new and I suspect people will be seeing how it goes but I think will need to find a way for it to be an app that can be used on a fire stick maybe

But I see it as being the start of more sports events being streamed , boxing matches , then music events - just needs someone to start it off and get it right

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You can register for a 7 day free trial - a bit like Netflix so you can watch the event then cancel , it’s all new and I suspect people will be seeing how it goes but I think will need to find a way for it to be an app that can be used on a fire stick maybe

But I see it as being the start of more sports events being streamed , boxing matches , then music events - just needs someone to start it off and get it right

They have an app, or at least will do when it comes to the time of the golf according to the press release online.

Tbf now tv and Bt already offers sport via streaming. But I agree there may be a place for a company to come in for stand alone events and try and buy outright events from under the big companies noses. Unless they offer free trials or low prices though then they may struggle or have to take big risks with what they’re willing to pay for the rights.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am a little surprised about the negativity.

Especially about internet connection, I know you may not have fibre optic speeds. But even at my parents house, in deepest darkest rural Devon, where their house is over 1 mile from the closest exchange, and half way up a massive valley. The internet is absolute pants, yet I managed to stream the Rugby Premiership final on BT sports app and chromecast onto the television in pretty much HD.

Most smart TVs also have Facebook pre installed, for the hassle of signing up for free to a new broadcaster you can watch all 4 days of a major, seems like a great deal for us.

Also whoever said streaming is for kids, really? SO only kids watch Netflix, Amazon Prime etc and even catch up TV is streaming, if you have watched iPlayer of All4 you have streamed TV. This is the same albeit live

D

Deleted member 16999

ElevenSports hope to launch 2 Channels in August, one channel is dedicated to Football, they have secured rights for 3 years to show live games from Serie A and La Liga) channel 2 is for other sports.
So the USPGA being shown for free is the hook, but at the end of the day it is further dilution of sports channels and yet another fee if you wish to watch all sports.
Some will be happy and prefer payg, some prefer one price, one provider.
Others will go down the illegal stream route and everyone loses out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see they’ve recruited ‘Seb on Golf’ too to provide a ‘youthful edge’

You guys are going to hate him :rofl:

90% of what I’ve seen of him is pretty much shouting at the camera and pointing at anything and everything!
I don't know who or what that is so I will reserve judgement...

ElevenSports hope to launch 2 Channels in August, one channel is dedicated to Football, they have secured rights for 3 years to show live games from Serie A and La Liga) channel 2 is for other sports.
So the USPGA being shown for free is the hook, but at the end of the day it is further dilution of sports channels and yet another fee if you wish to watch all sports.
Some will be happy and prefer payg, some prefer one price, one provider.
Others will go down the illegal stream route and everyone loses out.
I don't think it will last long. Could go the same way as Setanta and other now-defunct sports channels that came and went. At the end of the day Sky always wins through.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know who or what that is so I will reserve judgement...

I don't think it will last long. Could go the same way as Setanta and other now-defunct sports channels that came and went. At the end of the day Sky always wins through.

everyone said that about BT but their still here

although wish they had gone for the golf

seb is alright.. just another youtuber

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
everyone said that about BT but their still here

although wish they had gone for the golf

seb is alright.. just another youtuber

BT had a lot of money behind em and bought premium product as well as well known hosts for their shows. I think 11 will be ok as they are international and now trying the uk.

Re Seb, I’ll be muting him. Of all the golf you tubers he’s the worst imo. He’s an entertainer who basically jumped on golf as there was a gao their. But basically made it off he’s bros success and has blagged a career imo.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BT had a lot of money behind em and bought premium product as well as well known hosts for their shows. I think 11 will be ok as they are international and now trying the uk.

Re Seb, I’ll be muting him. Of all the golf you tubers he’s the worst imo. He’s an entertainer who basically jumped on golf as there was a gao their. But basically made it off he’s bros success and has blagged a career imo.

makes sense.. an entertainer .. least they didnt get sheils in.. dont mind the rest of them their entertaining i just find sheils quite flat in the delivery of anything

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
makes sense.. an entertainer .. least they didnt get sheils in.. dont mind the rest of them their entertaining i just find sheils quite flat in the delivery of anything

I think Shiels has some real good ideas and content. But he’s not the front man. He’s Noel or Barlow.....

hes certainly come come a long way since hitting 400 yard drives every week at the Trafford centre on juiced up trackman lol

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So all this youtube channel getting hip with the kids stuff is where the USPGA want to go with this?

Fine. I am 50 odd, played golf all my life, and I am out. I cannot be bothered with faffing about trying to stream something with rubbish broad band, on a piddly screen. I could spend 30 odd on a chrome cast, but heck, that is 3× what a now tv pass would be. Next year who knows how much it will be to stream it.

Stuff them. I will watch something else. In HD. On telly.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok -

The events main audience will still see the event - the UK isn’t there main audience by any stretch and I suspect the stream service will be full of adverts and full or marketing. It’s going to be awful but the money will still be paid to the USPGA

It appears in the posts you have made a clear dislike should I say towards the BBC - when in all this they are clearly blameless for any of it

Seems the USPGA want to try something and broaden the horizons and Sky didn’t want that and wanted it kept behind a pay wall where they get the money
I don’t have any dislike of the BBC. I just don’t think they are the right broadcaster for golf and they have proved me right. As you say, they have other priorities and at least they made an attempt at showing the USPGA last year. I don’t blame the BBC.

I still don’t understand why it was all so last minute last year. It all seems very disorganised and this year it’s streaming only. This cannot be considered the best platform for the USPGA’s main event.

I think you underestimate the importance of the UK audience. We are a major part of the global golf fan base. You only have to look at the number of courses here compared to other countries across the world. I believe this is a market that cannot be ignored by the USPGA but, if it isn’t important to them why should we care? However. if that thinking prevails how long will their comp be considered a major?

Other than that I agree with everything in your post.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t have any dislike of the BBC. I just don’t think they are the right broadcaster for golf and they have proved me right. As you say, they have other priorities and at least they made an attempt at showing the USPGA last year. I don’t blame the BBC.

I still don’t understand why it was all so last minute last year. It all seems very disorganised and this year it’s streaming only. This cannot be considered the best platform for the USPGA’s main event.

I think you underestimate the importance of the UK audience. We are a major part of the global golf fan base. You only have to look at the number of courses here compared to other countries across the world. I believe this is a market that cannot be ignored by the USPGA but, if it isn’t important to them why should we care? However. if that thinking prevails how long will their comp be considered a major?

Other than that I agree with everything in your post.

BBC are showing the European Team Golf , their Highlight packages gain more viewers than Skys live coverage. They can cover golf very well - it just wouldnt have a dedicated channel , nor and Open zone and it wouldnt fill hours of "on the range" - but they would just show the golf - nice and simple. BBC can only work within their budget but when they do and given time they do it very well. Their coverage of Saturday and Sunday at Augusta is just perfect

The UK audience is very small now - before The Open went to Sky the viewing figures were hitting 5 mil , on Sky they got just over a mil. I suspect the US PGA was prob watched by a significant amount less than watch the Open - if its gets more than 400 thousand ill be surprised - even a lot of golf fans cant be bothered with it.

So i suspect the impact of it not being on Sky wont be that much at all and you may get a younger audience with it being on App's and streaming

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I guess we will find out what the streaming audience will be. My guess is their target audience will be in bed. TV coverage of a major is not going to get kids interested in golf, how ever trendy the presenters.
Pro am, with celebs off big brother, may be, but watching Zach take 5 hours to bore it out to a win? Nah. It wont hold their attention for 5 minutes.
Back when I was a kid, I watched the open on BBC1. Why? Because there were only 3 TV channels. Now there are 1000, plus streaming, plus facebook, plus WhatsApp etc.
If kids play golf, it is because a familly member, or a friend with a familly member play. It isn't because they saw a pro comp on telly. Or where ever.
The fastest way to promote golf, is to find a way to get more ladies into the game, and find a way to target 40 somethings who can no longer play footy.
This is not going to happen from streaming the dullest major on a minority sports web site.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BBC are showing the European Team Golf , their Highlight packages gain more viewers than Skys live coverage. They can cover golf very well - it just wouldnt have a dedicated channel , nor and Open zone and it wouldnt fill hours of "on the range" - but they would just show the golf - nice and simple. BBC can only work within their budget but when they do and given time they do it very well. Their coverage of Saturday and Sunday at Augusta is just perfect

The UK audience is very small now - before The Open went to Sky the viewing figures were hitting 5 mil , on Sky they got just over a mil. I suspect the US PGA was prob watched by a significant amount less than watch the Open - if its gets more than 400 thousand ill be surprised - even a lot of golf fans cant be bothered with it.

So i suspect the impact of it not being on Sky wont be that much at all and you may get a younger audience with it being on App's and streaming
BBC as a “free” terrestrial channel will always get more viewers than Sky who only attract dedicated sports fans prepared to pay to watch their sport.
The BBC’s coverage of golf events is very simple. But the world has moved on. I am really not sure what the “Ken on the Course” Postman Pat style graphics with accompanying cartoon music at the Open was all about though. However, credit where credit is due, at least they dumped Spoony, Chris Evans and all the other celebs this time, probably because their salaries are now published and the licence fee payers are non too chuffed.
In my view their Master’s coverage is far from perfect but that is subjective.
You seem to agree with me that the USPGA don’t have much to sell. A major that even golf fans aren’t interested in. So whether it’s on Sky, BBC, Channel 4, Dave or any of the streaming sites, it won’t make much difference. However, for the USPGA they clearly need to raise the profile of their event. And it not being on the telly is not going to help in that regard.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So all this youtube channel getting hip with the kids stuff is where the USPGA want to go with this?

Fine. I am 50 odd, played golf all my life, and I am out. I cannot be bothered with faffing about trying to stream something with rubbish broad band, on a piddly screen. I could spend 30 odd on a chrome cast, but heck, that is 3× what a now tv pass would be. Next year who knows how much it will be to stream it.

Stuff them. I will watch something else. In HD. On telly.
You keep going on about your rubbish broadband - I don't know how you can live like that. If I lived somewhere where I couldn't get a decent internet connection, I would move! :D

Look on the bright side, at least it's only the USPGA and not the Open or the Masters or something.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You keep going on about your rubbish broadband - I don't know how you can live like that. If I lived somewhere where I couldn't get a decent internet connection, I would move! :D

Look on the bright side, at least it's only the USPGA and not the Open or the Masters or something.

So for me, the only time I have ever wanted to stream something live has been last years pga. I have lived in my house for 20 years, and have a lot invested in it.
I have only ever down loaded one series, game of thrones, and the speed of download was irrelevant, as I didn't watch it for weeks.
I watch all my sport live, and that is pretty much all I ever watch.

I am not going to move house soley to watch the 4th major!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So for me, the only time I have ever wanted to stream something live has been last years pga. I have lived in my house for 20 years, and have a lot invested in it.
I have only ever down loaded one series, game of thrones, and the speed of download was irrelevant, as I didn't watch it for weeks.
I watch all my sport live, and that is pretty much all I ever watch.

I am not going to move house soley to watch the 4th major!
Haha. I was just joshing, we clearly lead different lives. I had to get a good quality broadband in order to play Fifa online without it lagging painfully. Plus I don't pay for any TV service, we just have freeview, so I have to stream a lot of what we watch anyway - Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
With a bit of luck the lack of mainstream TV coverage will hasten this events demise as a 'major'. It's certainly not one I have felt any desire for. Let's face it, it doesn't have USP or identity - how many of it's past winners can you say have gone onto to be 'greats', how many of it's past winners can you name with the year they won it, as compared to the Open, US Open and Masters.
No, I shan't be losing any sleep over this not being covered on TV, and doubt that I really care who wins it.