Us pga black out

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I can cast it from said website to my TV then this is great news - the Sky-broadcast majors I can only watch on my iPad via Sky Go.

However, if I can't then it's not the best news. My laptop is rubbish, and the iPad is not great either.

The bit someone mentioned about Facebook showing the first two days is great though, since I'll be in the office those days!

D

Deleted member 16999

If I can cast it from said website to my TV then this is great news - the Sky-broadcast majors I can only watch on my iPad via Sky Go.

However, if I can't then it's not the best news. My laptop is rubbish, and the iPad is not great either.

The bit someone mentioned about Facebook showing the first two days is great though, since I'll be in the office those days!
Try and get a 2nd hand Apple TV box and then you could mirror from your ipad to your tv.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have regular Sky, not HD for the Sky channels, we do have it for BBC, ITV etc. I watched the Open on Sunday and really struggled to pick up the ball on the greens and fairways. I thought it was due to the ground being scorched. I then watched the news that night on BBC, HD, and they showed clips. I could see it perfectly and it confirmed the difference between HD and standard.

The point of this comment is, what will the picture be like that is streamed? If it is not perfect then golf is a nightmare and not worth the effort. In the meantime I need to persuade my wife that we need to get the Sky channels on HD :D

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Theirin lies the issue... if it is on a decent App/Site and can be cast to the TV is good quality, no probs. Any diversion from that, I won't bother.

If the PGA wish to lose massive chunks of adverstising revenue, that's their perogative... it usually ends too late on a Sunday anyway...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have regular Sky, not HD for the Sky channels, we do have it for BBC, ITV etc. I watched the Open on Sunday and really struggled to pick up the ball on the greens and fairways. I thought it was due to the ground being scorched. I then watched the news that night on BBC, HD, and they showed clips. I could see it perfectly and it confirmed the difference between HD and standard.

The point of this comment is, what will the picture be like that is streamed? If it is not perfect then golf is a nightmare and not worth the effort. In the meantime I need to persuade my wife that we need to get the Sky channels on HD :D
Watching on my iPad I couldn't always see the ball until it stopped. Thought it was just my eyes. :mmm:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread just sums the world up today. Never happy

Golf should be free to all..so the bbc got the last major.. people moaned they had to use the red button or iPlayer

Sky haven’t got all the majors.. yet will moan if the bill goes up..

The pga is going to be FREE for all to see.. yet oh I can’t get it the normal way

No pleasing some people

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This thread just sums the world up today. Never happy

Golf should be free to all..so the bbc got the last major.. people moaned they had to use the red button or iPlayer

Sky haven’t got all the majors.. yet will moan if the bill goes up..

The pga is going to be FREE for all to see.. yet oh I can’t get it the normal way

No pleasing some people

So looking forwards, this year is clearly a loss leader to get Eleven sports in the public eye. When they charge a subscription for it from next year, for a lesser service ( possibly no trackman (expensive), fewer quality pundits, less viewing of the whole tournament, poor commentary, selected groups only, etc) are you going to be happy?

Or are you going to think that Sky does it better? And that for the same £10 weekend pass, it would be cheaper on Sky? May be it will only be available to permanent subscribers like Amazon prime? No option for a one off watch.

Coverage in the US of golf in general is split between stations. Some are terrible at it, some better, but if you listen to NLU podcast, they all wish they could get sky.

And no, its not available for all, it is only available for those with reliable broadband, and that is not as many as you seem to think.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So looking forwards, this year is clearly a loss leader to get Eleven sports in the public eye. When they charge a subscription for it from next year, for a lesser service ( possibly no trackman (expensive), fewer quality pundits, less viewing of the whole tournament, poor commentary, selected groups only, etc) are you going to be happy?

Or are you going to think that Sky does it better? And that for the same £10 weekend pass, it would be cheaper on Sky? May be it will only be available to permanent subscribers like Amazon prime? No option for a one off watch.

Coverage in the US of golf in general is split between stations. Some are terrible at it, some better, but if you listen to NLU podcast, they all wish they could get sky.

And no, its not available for all, it is only available for those with reliable broadband, and that is not as many as you seem to think.

Streaming is the way forward

They care for the USA not the uk .. USA has better broadband ..

It’s not their fault we don’t have great broadband in the outer regions

But streaming has taken over. Most kids don’t watch “normal” tv

And with greatest respect their trying to grow the game so appeal to the kids .. they won’t give a stuff if the already golf obsessed can’t view it normally

D

Deleted member 15344

It all seems a bit bonkers to me.
I watch golf every week, 2 or sometimes 3 tournaments if they show Champions Tour or LPGA. It makes my Sky subscription worthwhile.
And now, when supposedly the 4th major of the year comes along it’s the one week I won’t watch any golf. Now I get that it may be streamed if you can find it etc etc but the truth is most (including golf fans like me) won’t bother.
Clearly trading Sky off for the BBC to take their event to a larger audience backfired massively for the US PGA. Certainly from the outside it would seem that Sky have been loyal broadcasters for the sport. The US PGA didn’t get the same loyalty from the BBC.
I am not sure how you can call it a major when it’s the only golf event you can’t watch on TV. The Trilby Tour gets more coverage.
The US PGA need to sort this and quick or risk losing their major status. Last year was bad, this is even worse. They can’t risk another year.

Why should the BBC show loyalty to the USPGA ?

None of it is about loyalty from Sky - it’s all about the money , they are looking for contracts out of loyalty to governing bodies they are looking for a monopoly so that people have to subscribe to them to watch the events

The USPGA won’t lose their major status - people in the states and Far East will pay the money to watch it again on the steaming sites - the viewing figures over here are tiny in comparison

Golf just like all the other sports are chasing the money , nothing is done due to anyone being loyal

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why should the BBC show loyalty to the USPGA ?

None of it is about loyalty from Sky - it’s all about the money , they are looking for contracts out of loyalty to governing bodies they are looking for a monopoly so that people have to subscribe to them to watch the events

The USPGA won’t lose their major status - people in the states and Far East will pay the money to watch it again on the steaming sites - the viewing figures over here are tiny in comparison

Golf just like all the other sports are chasing the money , nothing is done due to anyone being loyal
The BBC has no obligation to show any loyalty to any sports organisation. I didn’t say it did. Even when under contract the BBC dumped The Open a year early so the US PGA should have seen it coming. My point was that last year’s initiative has failed for the US PGA. They gave it the BBC and now because the BBC has no loyalty they don’t have a TV broadcaster. Sky on the other hand have demonstrated that they are committed to showing golf and show practically every event every week. Everyone knows they are not doing it for the love of the game. Of course it makes them money. Sky is a business. Businesses aim to make money.

I think we have to consider why every other large golf event every week do a deal with Sky and yet the US PGA don’t.

IMO all this growing the game stuff is actually irrelevant. When golf went through it’s boom period in the 80’s there was very little golf on TV. However, if the US PGA gave last year’s event to the BBC in an effort to grow the game, they now need to explain how not having it on any TV is going to help.

D

Deleted member 15344

The BBC has no obligation to show any loyalty to any sports organisation. I didn’t say it did. Even when under contract the BBC dumped The Open a year early so the US PGA should have seen it coming. My point was that last year’s initiative has failed for the US PGA. They gave it the BBC and now because the BBC has no loyalty they don’t have a TV broadcaster. Sky on the other hand have demonstrated that they are committed to showing golf and show practically every event every week. Everyone knows they are not doing it for the love of the game. Of course it makes them money. Sky is a business. Businesses aim to make money.

I think we have to consider why every other large golf event every week do a deal with Sky and yet the US PGA don’t.

IMO all this growing the game stuff is actually irrelevant. When golf went through it’s boom period in the 80’s there was very little golf on TV. However, if the US PGA gave last year’s event to the BBC in an effort to grow the game, they now need to explain how not having it on any TV is going to help.

The USPGA were stuck last year because they had no deal with anyone to show the PGA so they ask the BBC last minute and they did what they could especially with them focused on the World Championships - obviously most didn’t take that into account and expect the BBC to boot the World Championships to the kerb to focus on the Golf but they didn’t so lots went mental at the BBC for the last minute production - it was a one off thing , BBC didn’t then dump it they I expect aren’t going to waste money and effort on in the grand scheme of things a minority sport event.

Last year wasn’t any “initiative” it was all because the deal with Sky didn’t get renewed so they needed something quick

Again not sure why you keep mentioning loyalty when it comes to the media and sports events

It’s not about loyalty or commitment etc etc - it’s about budgets , profit and cost

Sky didn’t show the US PGA because they thought the deal being offered wasn’t value for money

They have deals to show the golf to gain subscribers- that’s it.

They have a deal with the ET , with the R&A , the USGA and the Masters - they wanted the deal with the USPGA to have the monopoly - USPGA wanted more money and Last year for content to go to a wider audience - Sky walked away

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see they’ve recruited ‘Seb on Golf’ too to provide a ‘youthful edge’

You guys are going to hate him :rofl:

90% of what I’ve seen of him is pretty much shouting at the camera and pointing at anything and everything!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The USPGA were stuck last year because they had no deal with anyone to show the PGA so they ask the BBC last minute and they did what they could especially with them focused on the World Championships - obviously most didn’t take that into account and expect the BBC to boot the World Championships to the kerb to focus on the Golf but they didn’t so lots went mental at the BBC for the last minute production - it was a one off thing , BBC didn’t then dump it they I expect aren’t going to waste money and effort on in the grand scheme of things a minority sport event.

Last year wasn’t any “initiative” it was all because the deal with Sky didn’t get renewed so they needed something quick

Again not sure why you keep mentioning loyalty when it comes to the media and sports events

It’s not about loyalty or commitment etc etc - it’s about budgets , profit and cost

Sky didn’t show the US PGA because they thought the deal being offered wasn’t value for money

They have deals to show the golf to gain subscribers- that’s it.

They have a deal with the ET , with the R&A , the USGA and the Masters - they wanted the deal with the USPGA to have the monopoly - USPGA wanted more money and Last year for content to go to a wider audience - Sky walked away
I am not sure if you read my post or not. My reference to loyalty was in answer to your question to me asking why should the BBC be loyal? It has no need to and it isn’t. Simple.
Last year the US PGA pulled the plug on Sky at the last minute. If you remember, Sky was advertising coverage of all 4 majors when it launched Sky Golf just a month or so before. I don’t know why the deal failed but we have to question why it’s only the US PGA deal that has failed with Sky. Did the US PGA want too much? I seem to remember you and others saying it would be good to give it the BBC as it would teach a wider audience. This year it won’t be reaching much of an audience at all. That in my view makes the whole thing hard to defend.

These days you can’t claim an event is big if no-one watches.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not sure if you read my post or not. My reference to loyalty was in answer to your question to me asking why should the BBC be loyal? It has no need to and it isn’t. Simple.
Last year the US PGA pulled the plug on Sky at the last minute. If you remember, Sky was advertising coverage of all 4 majors when it launched Sky Golf just a month or so before. I don’t know why the deal failed but we have to question why it’s only the US PGA deal that has failed with Sky. Did the US PGA want too much? I seem to remember you and others saying it would be good to give it the BBC as it would teach a wider audience. This year it won’t be reaching much of an audience at all. That in my view makes the whole thing hard to defend.

These days you can’t claim an event is big if no-one watches.

USPGA didn’t pull the plug

The deal ran out earlier and they were trying to get a new deal in place but nothing could be arranged so it was offered to the BBC

People are still going to watch it - numbers won’t be massively affected enough , might even get more people watching it

And the loyality was in response to this quote

They gave it the BBC and now because the BBC has no loyalty they don’t have a TV broadcaster.

It reads like you are suggesting the BBC have walked away from the USPGA because they are not loyal when it was only a one off last year

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I see they’ve recruited ‘Seb on Golf’ too to provide a ‘youthful edge’

You guys are going to hate him :rofl:

90% of what I’ve seen of him is pretty much shouting at the camera and pointing at anything and everything!

Seb on Golf 😖
That’s me not tuning in.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
USPGA didn’t pull the plug

The deal ran out earlier and they were trying to get a new deal in place but nothing could be arranged so it was offered to the BBC

People are still going to watch it - numbers won’t be massively affected enough , might even get more people watching it

And the loyality was in response to this quote

They gave it the BBC and now because the BBC has no loyalty they don’t have a TV broadcaster.

It reads like you are suggesting the BBC have walked away from the USPGA because they are not loyal when it was only a one off last year
Maybe you need to read an entire post and not take single sentences in isolation and in doing so make quotes out of context to suit your argument.
Its pretty clear that Sky would most likely have continued to show the event for a number of years. They do for all other golf events. It’s fact that the BBC didn’t. I made it clear that the BBC has no obligation to show loyalty to any sporting organisation. But it would obviously be better for the US PGA if they had. It would have showcased the event to a larger audience which was touted as the main reason for the the switch to the BBC. Now it will almost certainly have a much smaller audience which equals less interest. If it continues down the same path it will disappear into obscurity.
The sport’s main audience will not see this event and yet we are told it’s the 4th biggest event of the year. How many real golf fans still believe this?
Surely the US PGA have offered it to the other TV sports channels? Eurosport, BT etc. Have they all said no? If so then it’s pretty clear the US PGA is asking too much.
I can see why they would want it streamed, to appeal to the younger or more tech savvy peeps, but I can’t see why they would want it ONLY streamed. TBH I don’t think they do want it only streamed. Otherwise, why bother with the BBC deal last year?
Methinks the US PGA think they have got something bigger than they actually have and if it’s away from the mainstream it’s only going to get smaller. Yes, it’s a championship important to the players, but the Masters or the Open it isn’t.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe you need to read an entire post and not take single sentences in isolation and in doing so make quotes out of context to suit your argument.
Its pretty clear that Sky would most likely have continued to show the event for a number of years. They do for all other golf events. It’s fact that the BBC didn’t. I made it clear that the BBC has no obligation to show loyalty to any sporting organisation. But it would obviously be better for the US PGA if they had. It would have showcased the event to a larger audience which was touted as the main reason for the the switch to the BBC. Now it will almost certainly have a much smaller audience which equals less interest. If it continues down the same path it will disappear into obscurity.
The sport’s main audience will not see this event and yet we are told it’s the 4th biggest event of the year. How many real golf fans still believe this?
Surely the US PGA have offered it to the other TV sports channels? Eurosport, BT etc. Have they all said no? If so then it’s pretty clear the US PGA is asking too much.
I can see why they would want it streamed, to appeal to the younger or more tech savvy peeps, but I can’t see why they would want it ONLY streamed. TBH I don’t think they do want it only streamed. Otherwise, why bother with the BBC deal last year?
Methinks the US PGA think they have got something bigger than they actually have and if it’s away from the mainstream it’s only going to get smaller. Yes, it’s a championship important to the players, but the Masters or the Open it isn’t.

Ok -

Last year it was all very last minute

The deal with Sky had finished and there were negotiations on going to sign a new deal etc etc but it seems the USPGA wanted the deal in the UK to go to a wider audience because I suspect the level of viewing figures for the event would be pretty small in comparison to the other majors - that’s because it’s just not the event the others are - especially in the UK - The Open and The Masters also interest non golf fans but I also suspect a lot of golf fans in the UK aren’t that bothered by it

So when it came to getting a deal sorted there was lots of talking about offering it free to air on streaming services whilst still have the coverage on Sky whilst also the price went up - so because of everything Sky and the USPGA couldn’t get a deal

So they spoke to the BBC about offering it on a one time deal but they couldn’t dedicate much and would have to take full US feed but it would be available on the website streaming etc and I suspect whilst it was very messy you prob had a bit more watching it

Now all year I suspect the USPGA have been looking for a platform for them to be able to stream it within the UK , the BBC I’m guessing wouldn’t be willing to pay too much for let’s be honest an event that won’t reallt pique the national interest and I’m guessing Sky won’t be interested in the streaming or the price so they end up with this streaming service

The events main audience will still see the event - the UK isn’t there main audience by any stretch and I suspect the stream service will be full of adverts and full or marketing. It’s going to be awful but the money will still be paid to the USPGA

It appears in the posts you have made a clear dislike should I say towards the BBC - when in all this they are clearly blameless for any of it

Seems the USPGA want to try something and broaden the horizons and Sky didn’t want that and wanted it kept behind a pay wall where they get the money

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ok -

Last year it was all very last minute

The deal with Sky had finished and there were negotiations on going to sign a new deal etc etc but it seems the USPGA wanted the deal in the UK to go to a wider audience because I suspect the level of viewing figures for the event would be pretty small in comparison to the other majors - that’s because it’s just not the event the others are - especially in the UK - The Open and The Masters also interest non golf fans but I also suspect a lot of golf fans in the UK aren’t that bothered by it

So when it came to getting a deal sorted there was lots of talking about offering it free to air on streaming services whilst still have the coverage on Sky whilst also the price went up - so because of everything Sky and the USPGA couldn’t get a deal

So they spoke to the BBC about offering it on a one time deal but they couldn’t dedicate much and would have to take full US feed but it would be available on the website streaming etc and I suspect whilst it was very messy you prob had a bit more watching it

Now all year I suspect the USPGA have been looking for a platform for them to be able to stream it within the UK , the BBC I’m guessing wouldn’t be willing to pay too much for let’s be honest an event that won’t reallt pique the national interest and I’m guessing Sky won’t be interested in the streaming or the price so they end up with this streaming service

The events main audience will still see the event - the UK isn’t there main audience by any stretch and I suspect the stream service will be full of adverts and full or marketing. It’s going to be awful but the money will still be paid to the USPGA

It appears in the posts you have made a clear dislike should I say towards the BBC - when in all this they are clearly blameless for any of it

Seems the USPGA want to try something and broaden the horizons and Sky didn’t want that and wanted it kept behind a pay wall where they get the money

You say tomato.......

Have i missed the bit where Eleven sports is free? I know the first to days will be on fb and in theory you could take out a trial for it, but they are still a streaming site that want to get money from you.

I agree re the rest, i think BBC whilst not doing a great job last year, did the best they could at short notice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You say tomato.......

Have i missed the bit where Eleven sports is free? I know the first to days will be on fb and in theory you could take out a trial for it, but they are still a streaming site that want to get money from you.

I agree re the rest, i think BBC whilst not doing a great job last year, did the best they could at short notice.

first 2 days are free for all and they are offering a 7 day free trail to allow people to watch