US Open 2016

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Nonsense as it seems, I thought they said they wanted DJ to review video after the round. So not clear what the commentary team are expecting before then.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone clarify something. When Johnson had the drop out of the rough from the camera tower being on the way.
Why did he take 2 club lengths?
I was of the impression that a penalty drop was 2 club lengths and that a free drop for relief was 1.

D

Deleted member 1740

Congrats to DJ, cant help but think its the start of things to come.

Ill even do him the favour of never betting on him again

Good lad, I'll be able to recoup previous losses now

D

Deleted member 1740

and the officials embarass themselves even further by penalising him a shot, utter joke the way they handled the whole situation

I hope he's gone in with a 5 on his card.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can someone clarify something. When Johnson had the drop out of the rough from the camera tower being on the way.
I was of the impression that a penalty drop was 2 club lengths and that a free drop for relief was 1.

Said the exact same thing myself.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
congrats to DJ and commiserations to Shane Lowry

the drop for line of sight from the temporary immovable obstruction was okay as far as I could see within the temporary local rule that would have been in use as it is in all tournaments that have that bunch of stuff, TV towers etc.

think congrats to DJ for being very magnanimous towards the USGA who in my view got that situation of the 5th all wrong
he had not grounded the putter in preparation for the putting stroke to the hole and again in my view did not cause the ball to move
would have been a very messy end if DJ hadn't played so good to have the strokes that he did in hand coming off the 18th

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Isn't it because you actually have to get relief from the obstacle your claiming relief from, In this instance the camera tower. One club length may have still left the camera tower obscuring the flag therefor he's entitled to move to the nearest point of relief THEN take his club length. Which could make it look like he's just taken a 2 club length drop??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
and the officials embarass themselves even further by penalising him a shot, utter joke the way they handled the whole situation

Badly handled all the way through. Another farce that makes golf seem a mockery to the outside world. Well done to DJ for keeping it going with that hanging over him all round. Shame Lowry couldn't finish off but great to see him playing so well

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Isn't it because you actually have to get relief from the obstacle your claiming relief from, In this instance the camera tower. One club length may have still left the camera tower obscuring the flag therefor he's entitled to move to the nearest point of relief THEN take his club length. Which could make it look like he's just taken a 2 club length drop??

This is how I see it, plus there are always temporary rules in place that we won't be privy to in these tournaments due to the amount of temporary obstructions.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

He then played straight over the tower tho. so he either didn't take full relief or it wasnt I his line in first place .. that confused me

D

Deleted member 16999

He then played straight over the tower tho. so he either didn't take full relief or it wasnt I his line in first place .. that confused me

It was line of sight to the flag, one club length didn't give him clear line of sight, so once he had clear line of sight, which coincidentally 1st club length didn't give him, but that was npr, he then got to mark one club length which did, how he then plays the shot is up to him, he drew it in over the tower, he could of faded it around it, either way the shot he plays is irrelevant to the relief. Or that's how Sky explained it😃

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is how I see it, plus there are always temporary rules in place that we won't be privy to in these tournaments due to the amount of temporary obstructions.

The TIO relief local rule is in the appendix for all to see alongside the winter rules ones...

The obvious confusion is that interference includes 1cl so after you establish exact visual clearance you add 1cl to establish full relief. From there you must drop within 1cl.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well played Dustin Johnson. Let's not overshadow a great victory, from a player many have taken enjoyment out of labelling a choker etc.

Well deserved victory, I'm sure more will follow.