Uphill Chips

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having great difficulty with these. A lot of our greens are elevated and have aprons so you often find yourself chipping/pitching off of the tightest of lies on a severe upslope. Add to that, even though the grass is short it’s sticky. I guess that’s the grain as water runs downhill? And when I say sticky I don’t mean digging in the leading edge. Trying to glide the bounce along the turf grabs the club. I know small ball before big ball but chipping with the grain/no grain you can get away with murder using the bounce. So I went to youTube. 3 videos: One said weight on the back foot, nothing about shoulders. Another said weight on the front foot and align shoulders with slope. Another said weight on the front foot but don’t align shoulders with slope. :unsure:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take a less lofted club, I usually ask a guess about how much loft the slope adds.

So I could take a PW instead of a 56* sand wedge on a moderate upslope.

The make sure you select a landing point, the shot will likely roll out similar to the sand wedge so account for that.

Then just commit, better to miss a few feet long than just end up 2 feet forward.

D

Deleted member 1147

Uphill - 8 or 7 iron - you don't really want any back spin/grab on an uphill chip

downhill - wedge - you need the grab here, to slow down the roll out

Ball slightly back in the stance, weight forward (60:40'ish). Just think about swinging back and down as a count of 1 - 2, and returning the club back to where it started.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's a tight lie and the leading edge is digging into the grass then open up the blade that way the leading edge wont make contact with the ground, you should find that the club will glide much more easily through/along the turf this way.
Also use less shaft lean again this should reduce the chances of the club digging.

I was fortunate enough to have a chipping lesson with Jonathan Yarwood through Golf Monthly a few years ago & his technique made my chipping much better & more consistent. The video is here

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks all. Played today and didn’t need the shot once. Typical.

I did however have a couple of chips from gnarly greenside rough against the grain and tried the hands higher raising the heel off the ground and found the club went through the grass much easier. (y)