Unpopular putters

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the market for a new putter and I've tried a range of the usual suspects out (Odyssey/Ping/Taylormade) and found a few in each range I like. Now since the wife has agreed to me getting a new putter (she doesn't know what she has let herself in for) do I push the boat out and pickup a Scotty Cameron (Tried the GoLo 3/5 and enjoyed these) or do I look at some of the other less 'popular' brands as I quite like the Edel offering (although have not hit one)

Any advice on other less popular but good
Quality putters around before I spend my (wife's) hard earned cash.

Thanks.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you're buying based on brand and looks you will almost certainly end up with second best. Find what works best, irrespective of the name and the looks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very personal thing. As I said elsewhere try to get a SAM lab fitting or speak to a pro and see what type of putter suits your stroke first and what length is best. Once you've got the template try as many as you can. All depends what suits your stroke and especially your eye

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're buying based on brand and looks you will almost certainly end up with second best. Find what works best, irrespective of the name and the looks.

agree with the first part disagree with the second, I need to like the looks of a putter to putt well with it

DCB

Visit site
I'd say that unless you are a reasonable putter to start with it's probably not worth the money to buy a high end putter. You need to be good to get the most out of one of them imo. I'd be looking at something out of the Odyssey or Ping rang, they seem to have something to suit every eye and every putting style.

I've played with a Mizuno Bettinardi which is great when my eye is in, but, makes life hard when it's not. The old 2 ball is in the bag at the moment and it still survives the test of time.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks gentlemen. I've spent some time with my pro looking at my stroke during my putting lessons and have been advised I require a 35" toe hang putter due to my stroke and I found a mid mallet style worked best for distance putting.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any 'super' putters I was missing on my travels looking and tying some.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love my Rife. I don't care if it's a "big name" or not, it feels lush in my hands:)....oh...it's colouring looks the dogs danglies:)

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
2 of my friends have just bought the new Cleveland Huntington Beach putters. Milled putter for £69. They are an absolute bargain. The head cover is a lot better quality than my scotty too

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was going to mention Wilson & Cleveland but I think the OP is looking to spend (the wife's) money.
Couple I don't think have been mentioned, Raa & Radius. No first hand experience though.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks gents any recommendations greatly accepted, some of the above I haven't heard of (Raa and Radius for two). Off I go to look at some more to make sure I've given the whole market a good look at before spending monies.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes again. They don't make them any more but plenty to be found on ebay at reasonable prices. The grooves work, they feel soft (when used with a decent ball) but solid. Mine is an ugly beast but effective.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes again. They don't make them any more but plenty to be found on ebay at reasonable prices. The grooves work, they feel soft (when used with a decent ball) but solid. Mine is an ugly beast but effective.

I still have a Yes and bring it out occasionally, a few rusty marks on the shaft but a bit of wire wool and a new grip will see it looking spot on again.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Totall agree I have the Olivia, rusty shaft and needs a new grip but a lovely putter

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is a Yes Milley mallet putter on eBay at the mo for a decent price-the yellow and black bumblebee one. Seem to recall at the time it's appearance was met with scathing reviews, but I actually quite like it- and now we are the days of red putters and Versa alignment etc it suddenly doesn't look as strange-I m tempted!