Unpopular opinions

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Avatars on this forum should only be able to be changed once every 4 years, like a World Cup. The date should be fixed so that we know when it will happen. If you miss that date then tough, wait another 4 yrs. I link posts, names etc to their pictures and changing a picture messes with everything, mainly my head.

(yes Dan2501 I'm thinking specifically of you at this precise moment although others have been guilty recently as well :mad:)

Haha - sorry. Had Conor as my avatar for a while and needed a change. Least I've not changed it to an irritating gif that doesn't even work :)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
May get some flack for this one but clubs do not need a pro and certainly do not need a pro shop. Pros should be freelance with permission to work out of certain clubs. As for the pro shop, you do not need a qualified golf pro to sell balls, gloves and take green fees. Most of that can be done by a member of retail staff or a vending machine. Quite a few pro shops near me are basically just booking centres for Ping when it comes to club sale.
I almost put this yesterday.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Avatars on this forum should only be able to be changed once every 4 years, like a World Cup. The date should be fixed so that we know when it will happen. If you miss that date then tough, wait another 4 yrs. I link posts, names etc to their pictures and changing a picture messes with everything, mainly my head.

(yes Dan2501 I'm thinking specifically of you at this precise moment although others have been guilty recently as well :mad:)
I was thinking of Dan as I read your first paragraph. :LOL: Changed it twice in two weeks, it's not on.

D

Deleted member 16999

May get some flack for this one but clubs do not need a pro and certainly do not need a pro shop. Pros should be freelance with permission to work out of certain clubs. As for the pro shop, you do not need a qualified golf pro to sell balls, gloves and take green fees. Most of that can be done by a member of retail staff or a vending machine. Quite a few pro shops near me are basically just booking centres for Ping when it comes to club sale.
Sometimes the Pro is cheaper option, some “retainers” are less than the minimum wage, the Pro then has to work hard to increase their income via other revenue streams.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I disagree. There is a huge untapped market out there for custom fitting of confectionary bars. A Mars is not a one size fits all solution!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sometimes the Pro is cheaper option, some “retainers” are less than the minimum wage, the Pro then has to work hard to increase their income via other revenue streams.
But having a pro who pays you to teach out of your facility is another option. Pros coukd rent a driving range bay to teach out of like hairdressers rent chairs in a salon.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But having a pro who pays you to teach out of your facility is another option. Pros coukd rent a driving range bay to teach out of like hairdressers rent chairs in a salon.

my last club had no real pro shop, the club ran the shop so did tee times sold balls tees gloves and shoes and some club clothing. Could get a bottle of water and a choc bar. They had 2 teaching pros attached who did club repairs and lessons. Also the pro from the nearest American Golf at Milton Keynes also used the range to teach on a separate deal

worked well as an arrangement for me in that you didnt feel you were overly subsidising a pro shop as can do at a lot of places

Humpy

Visit site
Too many people think that you have to be off plus 5, 6, 7, etc before you should even think about turning pro. My view is that whilst an exceptional golf game is undoubtedly required to earn a living it's more to do with what's between your ears and how well you score on a bad day.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) commercial breaks during golf should be limited to 2 in an hour
2) TV towers should all have an SAS sniper with his gun trained on the crowd and as soon as he hears the "G" of get in the hole they should be dropped like liquid
3) you have 40 seconds to play your shot, but you can buy another 40 seconds for a 1 stroke penalty
Can I modify this one to .. the sniper tracks any group losing ground. It is the slowest player in any group who falls a hole behind who is dropped.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t play off the whites if you have zero chance of GIR, just clogs the hole/course.

Mark Roe grows on you-can’t believe I’ve put this 🤢

Just because the pros spend an age marking their ball and lining up a putt, your Sunday roll up doesn’t need to do the same as they have seen on the telly.

D

Deleted member 16999

If your course had such an area or bays etc, not all do.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
foursomes, greensomes, Betterball, am-ams and scrambles are boring, pointless and not worth getting out of bed for, and should be not be played in season.

Homer

Visit site

🛎🔚

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ban rules officials giving Pro's rulings on the course - players can learn the rules just like we have to.

Abolish 'best inward 9' as a tie breaker - in event of a tie, low handicapper wins - they've played the better golf.

Only slim people under age 25 with handicaps less than 5 can wear white trousers.

Reduce number of allowed clubs from 14 to 10 - reduces cost of golf and confusion. Learn the joy of a 3/4 feel shot.

Ban distance measuring devices and detailed course guides for home course players - being good at judging distances is an integral skill of the game.

Scrap gender distinction in tees - oldies (of which I'll be one soon enough) need all the help they can get to keep enjoying the game.
I was thinking of Dan as I read your first paragraph. :LOL: Changed it twice in two weeks, it's not on.
Trying to be Danonymous:ROFLMAO::LOL: