Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
1. The Player.
2. No age
3. No
4. Yes
5. 15cm
6. Could be, but would you risk dropping your ball if your lie looked ok in the first place?

If the player decides if it is a divot or not, they can surely drop it as many times as they like until they are 100% satisfied with the lie? Ultimately you are giving them the final say and with any slight imperfection they could determine it a divot. In the same way any player can deem their ball unplayable, even if it's in the middle of the fairway - and go back to where they were previously.

Appreciate a lot of amateurs wouldn't bother but a lot of pros 100% would.

You see pros getting questionable drops all the time from behind a tree in the rough (just close enough to a cart path) and 2 clubs lengths later they have a decent lie and sight of the green (see DJ in Mexico). They are playing for cash and have no shame, if it's within the rules, they are going to take advantage of it.

And 15cm.... so players need to carry rulers with them?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the player decides if it is a divot or not, they can surely drop it as many times as they like until they are 100% satisfied with the lie? Ultimately you are giving them the final say and with any slight imperfection they could determine it a divot. In the same way any player can deem their ball unplayable, even if it's in the middle of the fairway - and go back to where they were previously.

You see pros getting questionable drops all the time from behind a tree in the rough (just close enough to a cart path) and 2 clubs lengths later they have a decent lie and sight of the green (see DJ in Mexico). They are playing for cash and have no shame, if it's within the rules, they are going to take advantage of it.

Just have pick and place all year round instead of just winter. Simple as. That's your reward for sticking it on the fairway, you're entitled to a good lie.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Tbf i take advantage too if I can, as should every one . Nothing shameful at all.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just have pick and place all year round instead of just winter. Simple as. That's your reward for sticking it on the fairway, you're entitled to a good lie.

Preferred lies can be implemented by clubs, but generally only in poor conditions.

There is no way the rules of golf will be changed to allow preferred lies at all times, or for preferred lies to be the 'norm'.

The original ethos of the rules of golf 'play the ball as it lies' will be continued to be considered in any future rules changes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sure why not take it down to the flat part if the fairway too. No need to be on that downslope.

You are not entitled to a good lie. The fairway is just short grass.

Pick and place removes a fair bit of skill from the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure why not take it down to the flat part if the fairway too. No need to be on that downslope.

You are not entitled to a good lie. The fairway is just short grass.

Pick and place removes a fair bit of skill from the game.
Isn't preferred lies within 6 inches usually? I highly doubt there would be many scenarios where 6 inches is enough to get you off a slope. :ROFLMAO:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can see your arguement, the Pro's would keep on dropping forever, so change my idea to ....one free drop only.

And "15 cm" sorry I'm trying so damn hard to use the metric system. If I'd said "6 inches", my guess is you'd know roughly the distance allowed. Yes?