unplayble in a bunker

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
not to mention the multi format matchplay and medal round going on......... :QUOTE. No one in my game knew I had broken any rule. But today after rethinking the round I had some doubt about the drop , so asked the question on the forum rules section today,and it was confirmed I was wrong and deserve to be hung drawn and quartered. or as Patrick would say 3quarters. So I disqualified my self and handed myself in.
When I took the wrong drop I was picturing the time when Rory putted into a bunker then declared it unplayable. He then replayed from on the green where he had played his previous shot adding 1 penalty.
Please take into account my age, senility, stupidity, my sore back, my great grand child and all the crap I'm about to receive and my honesty.
Before putting on your black caps and punishing me , There's also mitigating circumstances, ElBandito had left no sand in the bunker taking about 8 shovelfuls out of it.
MLORD please have mercy on my sole [spikeless]

Happy to forgive - NRs and DQs finish bottom don't they? - That's me second last

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did I?

Surely both options (b) and (c) are covered by the phrase "drop under penalty in the bunker" or have I been tired and emotional again.

no, it's all there.

adding an additional line gap between option c. and the two lines of text that apply here might have helped Colin see that :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, note to self, after skulling a wedge into the face of a green-side pot bunker option a should be remembered!

Indeed - never forget you always have stroke and distance as an option. So don't forget that you can declare a shot 'unplayable' even when you can hit it - and hence 'play' it. If you don't fancy the shot you are faced with (for whatever reason you wish to cite - though you don't have to cite any particular reason to your PPs) then taking S&D may be your best option,

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.
If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:
a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or
c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.
If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

You either drop under penalty in the bunker or play from previous location (under penalty).

I'm a bit surprised at this, Rosecott. You quote the rule, including option (b) but then exclude that option from your final summary.

Did I?

Surely both options (b) and (c) are covered by the phrase "drop under penalty in the bunker" or have I been tired and emotional again.

no, it's all there.

adding an additional line gap between option c. and the two lines of text that apply here might have helped Colin see that :)

In the cool clear (and sober) light of day, I still can't see Colin's point!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the cool clear (and sober) light of day, I still can't see Colin's point!

I'm not surprised - he doesn't have one. You are quite right, Option (b) was indeed covered by what you originally said.

Blame my having been knackered by a hard day's skiing and mildly lacking in concentration through an immodest intake of beer and red wine. I shouldn't mix my drinks ...... or my sports.

Last edited:

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
I've always wondered about how to go back and decide where the original shot was taken. Is it acceptable to make your best guess as that spot was obviously not marked?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've always wondered about how to go back and decide where the original shot was taken. Is it acceptable to make your best guess as that spot was obviously not marked?

there are a number of possible situations within the rules where a player may have to make his 'best estimate' - the situation you describe would be one.