Underestimated brands?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember that quite a few Bangs were non-conforming but surely SocketRocket would not be non-conforming.

I guess you have a need for the inferred insult but leaving that one aside. Bang Golf clubs were conforming and have won many of the World long Drive competitions. I believe their club holds the world record.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Yonex clubs - until the beginning of summer when I went Ping-tastic I have always played Yonex and really enjoyed them. Always had Graphite shafts as that is what they sell themselves for but great clubs.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Yonex clubs - until the beginning of summer when I went Ping-tastic I have always played Yonex and really enjoyed them. Always had Graphite shafts as that is what they sell themselves for but great clubs.

I seem to recall that Phil Mickelson used Yonex clubs in his early days so he must have rated them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ssshhhhh. Keep quiet about Cleveland. I have been steadily accumulating a set of Cleveland CG16's, Black Pearl, off Ebay and if you make too much noise then the prices will go up. Very nice irons, easy to hit and look lovely (to my eye anyway). They are probably the Volvo of the golfing world. Not as flash or grand as the big brands eg Mercedes/Ping, Audi/Taylormade, BMW/Callaway but very good never the less and at a cheaper price. That must say something about me as a use Cleveland irons and drive a Volvo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ssshhhhh. Keep quiet about Cleveland. I have been steadily accumulating a set of Cleveland CG16's, Black Pearl, off Ebay and if you make too much noise then the prices will go up. Very nice irons, easy to hit and look lovely (to my eye anyway). They are probably the Volvo of the golfing world. Not as flash or grand as the big brands eg Mercedes/Ping, Audi/Taylormade, BMW/Callaway, Bugatti/Orka but very good never the less and at a cheaper price. That must say something about me as a use Cleveland irons and drive a Volvo.

Fixed that for you :thup:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ssshhhhh. Keep quiet about Cleveland. I have been steadily accumulating a set of Cleveland CG16's, Black Pearl, off Ebay and if you make too much noise then the prices will go up. Very nice irons, easy to hit and look lovely (to my eye anyway). They are probably the Volvo of the golfing world. Not as flash or grand as the big brands eg Mercedes/Ping, Audi/Taylormade, BMW/Callaway but very good never the less and at a cheaper price. That must say something about me as a use Cleveland irons and drive a Volvo.

???????

c1pjr

Hacker
Visit site
Believe it or not, John Letters has got a lot better to what it once was. They are owned by the same guy that owns Direct golf so I think there has been a lot of money pumped into it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Believe it or not, John Letters has got a lot better to what it once was. They are owned by the same guy that owns Direct golf so I think there has been a lot of money pumped into it

... than it once was. Indeed, but it was basically moribund.

Used to be a good brand for unfussy blades like Master Model (nor forgetting the Fred Daly special edition) but like MacGregor, Ram and the other blade makers suffered in the 90s.

The current line has some nice blades and semi-cavities but the woods and hybrids are a bit dodgy looking.

c1pjr

Hacker
Visit site
... than it once was. Indeed, but it was basically moribund.

Used to be a good brand for unfussy blades like Master Model (nor forgetting the Fred Daly special edition) but like MacGregor, Ram and the other blade makers suffered in the 90s.

The current line has some nice blades and semi-cavities but the woods and hybrids are a bit dodgy looking.

I don't think they are that bad looking, and it's more about how well you hit them than looks. Only thing is, I know someone who has had two of them and both of them have snapped at the hozzle, and this was not from chucking it around either, so there might be a few manufacturing issues.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I bought the clubs individually rather than as a set. There are always demonstrators on Ebay, usually a 6 iron but for Cleveland it is a 7 iron. I saw someone at my club with a set, liked the look of them and so bought a 7 iron for about £10 delivered. Had I not liked it I would just re-sell it or write it off, like buying a round of drinks. I liked the 7 iron and then set up alerts so that whenever someone sold another club in the set I would be alerted and I could buy them. I picked up an 8 and 9 iron last week, both brand new, so I now have the clubs that I want, 6, 7, 8 and 9, all CG16 Black Pearl. I don't use a 4 or 5 iron, can't hit them so why buy them, and I already had some Cleveland wedges, PW, SW and 60°, so whilst I may at some point get a CG16 PW I am not too worried about that. I know this is not how purists would do it but it is an affordable way to get the clubs you want and spread the costs over time.