Under armour Catalyst Green Heatgear

joma1108

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Under Armour Testing

I tried the Catalyst Green Heatgear Version made out of the recycled plastic bottles.

This was interesting to me from the environmental point of view and how this would compare to the multitude of moisture wicking fabrics out there.

First impressions were that the shirt looked no different in terms of feel or texture to its competition.

Colour scheme (white with narrow green hoops) was bold yet understated and appealed to my sense of style

On the course the shirt weighing only 233gms felt a bit like the emperor’s new clothes as I could hardly feel this on whilst playing.

To give it a real test I tried in three different weather conditions.

First Test – Dawn Patrol Sweep 7:30 Tee time, Cold but dry around 4 degrees wind around 8mph, I wore this with an Under Armour heat vest and this was perfectly adequate and kept me not to hot or too cold through the round.

Second Test – Midday around 10 degrees blustery shower and wind around 10mph – Again wearing the Under Armour heat vest this was perfectly fine, when the showers started and I put on my waterproofs which are breathable this became a little warm and I reverted to removing the waterproof top and playing on, I was pleasantly surprised that even though damp I didn’t feel cold and it dried very quickly within 4 or 5 holes which was a real bonus, don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t wear it without waterproofs in a downpour as I think this would not stand up to it, but in the rain showers exceeded expectation especially drying time.

Third Test – Evening round, temperature 12 degrees with a light 3mp wind – this was wore without any vest and really came into its own, I am not sure of the technology around the fabric other than this is the area it is designed for however kept me perfectly cool and felt light and did not restrict my swing in any way.

One real positive is that I carry my bag and with most of the other shirts I wear where the bag touches my back usually stores the heat and makes me sweat more in this area, I did not get this at all with any of the three weather conditions particularly the warmer evening test.

As a round up I would say that comparing to some of the other leading brands (of which I worn) I have a clear winner.

A lot of other moisture wicking fabrics for me do dispel the moisture and keep it from your body however stay very damp all through the round thereafter and gets in relative terms heavier than when you started the round, this in turn can be felt through the swing as the fabric moves and does certainly for me play on my mind.

I didn’t find this at all with the Under Armour Catalyst Heatgear shirt which was a huge bonus for me.

I for one will be purchasing this particular style for the coming season.

For me this is a winner.