UK Golf Break for 30th birthday any ideas please?

AdamW

Visit site
Looking for somewhere to go in the UK for a few days towards the end of August with my partner to celebrate my 30th birthday.

Was thinking somewhere which is a spa/golf / hotel package and is in an area with which would have plenty of other outdoor activities to do (Hiking, kayaking etc)

It will need to be somewhere which has no handicap requirements.

If anyone has any recommendations would be appreciated

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's a couple of decent venues - there appears to be no travel limitations set by the OP so;

THE NORTH
Rockliffe
Linden Hall
The Mere
Forest Of Arden
Oulton Hall

MIDLANDS
The Belfry
The Breadsall Priory

SOUTH
East Sussex National
Stoke Park
St Mellion
Foxhills

SCOTLAND
Gleneagles

WALES
Celtic Manor

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Dornoch, Nairn, Castle Stuart used to do a deal, it was on the Dornoch visitors site, drive up through glen coe, stay next door to loch ness. Magic

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a couple of decent venues - there appears to be no travel limitations set by the OP so;

THE NORTH
Rockliffe
Linden Hall
The Mere
Forest Of Arden
Oulton Hall
For the North I would remove Linden Hall, sadly, and replace with either Matfen Hall or Ramside. Linden has everything in place but is sadly neglected in how it is maintained, course, spa, hotel etc. The other two are better options.

Good list though (y)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the North I would remove Linden Hall, sadly, and replace with either Matfen Hall or Ramside. Linden has everything in place but is sadly neglected in how it is maintained, course, spa, hotel etc. The other two are better options.

Good list though (y)

That's a shame about Linden Hall I went with a society and it was nice then. Mind you that was 2011.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a shame about Linden Hall I went with a society and it was nice then. Mind you that was 2011.
Everything is in place for it to be a top notch venue. Really good course layout, lovely hotel building, beautiful surroundings in the midst of the countryside. Sadly the owners, big chain, don't seem interested so there are not sufficient greenkeepers to keep the course up to even average standard, the hotel looks tired, the spa is apparently poor and in need of a clean and refresh. It could be back up to scratch with some money and tlc but until the current chain sell that wont happen. As you say, a real shame.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dornoch, Nairn, Castle Stuart used to do a deal, it was on the Dornoch visitors site, drive up through glen coe, stay next door to loch ness. Magic
They still do, no need to even drive the deal had transfers to the courses, fly to Inverness. Not much in the way of luxury spa though, you could go for a swim in Loch Ness ? or the moray firth.

D

Deleted member 1147

THE NORTH
Rockliffe
Linden Hall
The Mere
Forest Of Arden
Oulton Hall

MIDLANDS
The Belfry
The Breadsall Priory

SOUTH
East Sussex National
Stoke Park
St Mellion
Foxhills

SCOTLAND
Gleneagles

WALES
Celtic Manor

Breadsall Priory is not worth a visit - 2 poor golf courses and a crappy hotel

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Okehampton in Devon has a huge array of facilities and is in great area of the country for getting outdoors, they also have a whole host of other activities to do there.

Morely Hayes in Derbyshire is also in a nice spot, wide open course, great practice facilities, nice restaurant and spa etc and won't break the bank. Not a million miles from the Peak District or Derbyshire Dales

Both also don't need a HCP certificate.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I can talk about the West Country

Dartmouth - has a 9 holer and championship course, hotel is nice and has a spa. Activities wise you have Dartmouth town about 15 minutes away which is beautiful, some nice beaches and easy walks like to Start Point to the lighthouse. In terms of hiking Dartmoor would be not too far, to hit the south moor, if you wanted some proper hiking. You could go to Princetown and walk up to South Hessary, down to Nuns Cross Farm, along to Crazywell (amazing views of Burrator reservoir) and down to Devonport Leat.

St Mellion - Kernow course is nice, Nicklaus is a beast but well worth playing, the spa is okay, the hospitality is amazing, my wife and I went for an Easter deal and were completely stuffed with food. Again not too far from Dartmoor, could go to Tavistock and hike the West moor. Plymouth is very close, the Ho and the Barbican are lovely and you can do a tour of the Plymouth Gin distillery (older trade mark in the world as a little factoid). Plymouth also has water sports. You also would have Bodmin Moor as well, but less interesting than Dartmoor IMO. If you don't mind a bit of driving you also have the Eden Project which is a good day out and the Minack Theatre if you can get tickets.

The Manor House which someone mentioned in Okehampton, is a designated sports and activities place, like a Centreparcs but no where near the price, plus Okehampton is on Dartmoor and close to the highest points in Yes Tor and High Willhays (technically mountains)

Saunton Sand hotel - not part of a golf course, but is a very nice hotel with Spa, close to Saunton and Royal North Devon if you like some links golf (RND being the oldest golf course in England) Amazing views of North Devon, surfing is absolutely cracking up there, if that;s your thing ot loads of surf schools if you want to give it a crack. Woolacombe is close by which was recently announced as the best beach in the UK.

Otherwise I may suggest finding a Spa Hotel in Exeter, from there you are about 30 minutes from the beach, 30 minutes from Dartmoor, you have Haldon Forest near by which has a Go Ape, forest walks, mountain biking etc, plus my genuine favourite view, looking down through the Teign Valley. Exeter is a lovely city with lots to do and places to eat. If you are celebrating a birthday there is Michael Caines place of Gidley Park. In terms of golf, so many choices. Exeter Golf and Country Club, immaculate but maybe a little samey. Teignmouth designed by Alistair McKenzie cliff top heathland golf. East Devon which after Saunton I think is the best course in Devon. Teign Valley (the course I grew up on) a lovely course which has 13 fantastic holes and will be relatively cheap as it flies under the radar. You would be about 60 mins from St Mellion if you wanted to try the Nicklaus, or 60 minutes from Saunton as above

The Fader

Visit site
We recently spent the weekend at the The Bank House Hotel in Malvern. Lovely hotel, recently refurbished. Really enjoyed dinner and breakfast.

Pool and Spa were very nice and Bransford Golf Club is part of the complex. Florida style with a few lakes and a 6 x 5, 6 x 4 and 6 x 3 lay out.

Course in good condition. Found the par 5's not too long but the Par 3's were quite tricky. The 18th is a real conundrum if you aren't a decent hitter.

£20 for a round as a hotel resident. We were not asked about our handicaps.

D

Deleted member 1147

Ouch, due to play there next month, could you elaborate?
I've played there quite a few times as it's in our scratch leagues.

The main course, The Priory, is a bit mickey mouse, for example to fit it into the space there are a series of short, right angle par 4's.
The Moorland course is short but better, the long rough is it's main defence, but again I'm not a fan. It is an excellent wet weather/winter course however.

The hotel I have visited for weddings and after matches. The bar area is small, food not great and prices high.

I personally would be disappointed if I chose there rather than some of the other resorts.

But hopefully you'll feel differently to me & I hope you enjoy it.