Type of clubs do you use?

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are not a single figure golfer and you have blades you are doing your golf a disservice imo.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are not a single figure golfer and you have blades you are doing your golf a disservice imo.

Disagree here, I know a few teens handicappers who play blades. Their ball striking is brilliant, get just as much distance with the blade, and never miss the forgiveness of a cavity back, but their short game sucks. Their short game is what costs them shots.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Or you're enjoying your golf.

I go along with this. I am a terrible ball striker, so I play with blades. Its fun, and when i middle one, its great. I have stopped worrying about my handicap, and am enjoying golf much more because of it. Most of my bad shots are truly terrible, and GI stuff would not bail me out anyway.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
But you don't need a blade to do that. I totally get the want to feel the pleasure in hitting a pure strike and feeling it, but you can get that same feeling and pure strike from the right muscle back / cavity back club that isn't a blade.

Plenty of options out there that look like blades to look down on and feel like blades when you 'middle' it, but provide the forgiveness for off centre hits.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see myself ever using blades. No matter how good I get I'm sure I'll always want the clubs that are easiest to hit with to be honest.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Why's that?

My opinion is that you could benefit from a more forgiving club, that looks virtually the same and provides practically unnoticeable different in feel, which in turn would improve your off centre hits, which for the higher handicapper will happen more frequently than the lower handicapper.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's an interesting one, and something that is very difficult to test. However, from the things I've read and seen online, I'm not convinced that GI irons offer as much forgiveness as it's made out they do. Sure they can give you some help (mainly around launch and spin rather than forgiveness), but at the end of the day a bad swing is going to provide a bad result whether you're using butter knives or chunky GI irons. It's only going to give you so much. So for me it's down to personal preference, use what suits your eye the best. For some that'll be GI irons, for others blades. For me, as soon as I can justify the cost of getting new clubs I'll be moving to blades.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's an interesting one, and something that is very difficult to test. However, from the things I've read and seen online, I'm not convinced that GI irons offer as much forgiveness as it's made out they do. Sure they can give you some help (mainly around launch and spin rather than forgiveness), but at the end of the day a bad swing is going to provide a bad result whether you're using butter knives or chunky GI irons. It's only going to give you so much. So for me it's down to personal preference, use what suits your eye the best. For some that'll be GI irons, for others blades. For me, as soon as I can justify the cost of getting new clubs I'll be moving to blades.

yes I agree , i prefer a smaller headed club and use blades, but two of the guys i play with who are lower than me ( off +1 and 2) both used Ping shovels, G15 and 20

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

This seems to fall in line with the general thinking that all non single figure golfers are poor in all areas of the game. A view that just isn't true in reality. Plenty of non single figure golfers have superb iron games and can and should play any iron they want including blades, unfortunate for them is that other areas of their game are pish and using a blade or a shovel isn't going to help them drive, chip or putt.

Use what gets you the results you want/need.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The thing is you can now get clubs that are supposedly for the players that are also forgiving. I use the AP2s and they are the best clubs ive ever hit, The lofts arent really jacked, they are soft as anything but also very forgiving in the longer irons. They dont look chunky and they have next to 0 offset. They cant be too bad if Jordan Spieth is still using them and last time I checked he was a half decent player!

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started playing in 2012 (a late starter) at 43.

Decided I wanted to play golf, and literally walked in to AG Exeter and bought the whole lot, FJ shoes and I saw a nice looking set of Wilson Deep Red clubs (was a full set and bag).
Played with these for about a year, and they did me fine.
After joining a club, the pro there had a brand new (well the 7 iron was used) set of AP2 712 (4-PW).
I knew they were far too good for my level of play, but at the price, I made the purchase. Over the next few weeks i replace the driver, 'hybrids', vokey wedges and a new putter.

I know I won't be the next Rory or Danny, but I enjoy playing and like my clubs!

I look at it like driving a car in a way.

Learn in a Ferrari car, and you can drive most cars, but if you learn in a mini metro, and then take a Ferrari out, you could well kill yourself :D

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
10 years ago I got down to a 9 handicap and was using Hogan FTX Apex clubs. When my kids were born I stopped playing and only recently started again. I got the clubs out and played a bit and realised they weren't helping me at all. I bought a set of Wilson D200 irons and immediately they made a difference. I felt more confidence the miss hits weren't as bad (but still bad).

The Wilson's don't feel as nice but they are certainly easier to hit. One day I may go back but it's not likely.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The thing is you can now get clubs that are supposedly for the players that are also forgiving. I use the AP2s and they are the best clubs ive ever hit, The lofts arent really jacked, they are soft as anything but also very forgiving in the longer irons. They dont look chunky and they have next to 0 offset. They cant be too bad if Jordan Spieth is still using them and last time I checked he was a half decent player!

Which is fine, but they arent blades. I like blades, always have done. Its not how good the clubs are, or how forgiving, as i am not fussed, its what they look like.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Which is fine, but they arent blades. I like blades, always have done. Its not how good the clubs are, or how forgiving, as i am not fussed, its what they look like.

Totally agree, wouldn't play with ugly clubs, no matter what forgiveness they promise

That why I will only use a traditional shaped putter, I think these huge monstrosities of things are horrendous, I'd ban them on aesthetic grounds if I could.

I know it's completely irrational, but yeah, that's the way I am

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I've looked though this tread and pretty much everyone that has relied is not using blades, but cavity backs or a couple with a muscle back. not the same thing as a blade.