two ties this afternoon.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today is the cut off for 2nd round ties to be completed at our club and I have two to play. I've got one at 2pm and another at 6.15pm making for a bit af a tiring day before me as I'm at work just now having started at 6am and finishing at 12.00
I'm kind of hoping the first one will be over quickly (one way or another) to enable me to have a little rest before the 2nd one, but I fear the worst and I'll be running off after playing 4 extra holes or something ridiculous to try and make my tee time for the 2nd tie.
I take it Bananas are recommended to keep my energy levels up?
Any other advice would be most gratefully recieved.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
AF, do you normally have a trolley or carry? just for today id advise a caddy for at least the first game as walking round a course with no extra weight is easy and you can keep your hands by your sides or in your pocket which is less demanding that keeping one of them outstretched with a trolley and also less fatiguing than carrying, even if its only a pencil bag.
If you absolutely must carry, get weight down to a minimum, whatever you do enjoy it and good luck.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A caddy would be great Brendy, but £40+tip? Who do you think I am? Rockefeller? ;) I think I'll persevere with my trolley.
You're right about the weight though. It's glorious sunshine up here, so I can dump my brolly and waterproofs etc.
Thanks for the reminder.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Eat well and drink plenty,even if you end up watering every tree! Dehydration is much worse than hunger for affecting concentration.

Keep some chocolate in the bag for when you get tired.

Carrying - Get everything out that you can,even balls,take the min. Get your drinks halfway if you can.

Trolley - If powered then load up with all you might need,if not then repeat as for carrying.

Good luck.

DCB

Visit site
Atticus_Finch

Just remember that this NE wind may well bring in some low cloud of the sea later in the evening, if that happens it could get quite cold. We've still got low cloud and a cold wind coming off the Forth this morning so be warned!

All the best with your ties.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
40+ for caddies? you not got any nephews or relatives? I used to caddy for my uncle for a quid just to get out onto the course and watch.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get pasta for lunch - Pack bananas, fruit and nuts packs, lots of water and some Isotonic drinks.

Dehydration affects me a lot on the course - it really make a huge difference to my scoring. Drink small amounts plenty. I may consume between 500mm and 2.5L depending on weather. I am sure you know your body enough to realise when you are dehydrated, but by this stage it is too late. Only problem with this is the weight - 1L of water os 1Kg, not so easy if you are trying to squeeze a 36 holes out of a battery not designed for such work.

As for food - Ideally you should take a light bite (fruit and nuts) every second or third hole, this come directly from a pro who teaches juniors with 0-8 handicaps at my old club.

This all sounds a bit healthy but the bananas give a good burst of instant energy that will last, a choccie bar will give you a sugar hit and will not last as long as the banana. The fruit and nut bags may be laughable and healthy but they are light and stuffed with calories that will keep you going no problem.

Can I also recommend a good thorough stretch before the first round then after and once again before the second. Pay attention to the tendons in the legs and wrists.

If you do put the above into practice you should have 2 rounds of golf and probably be tired after, if you get hungry you will be thinking about this and it will distract from the golf, if you get dehydrated you will get the 'mist' and you will just get that why bother feeling you will loose concentration and want to drag your feet fet the rest of the round.

Also playing 2 rounds of golf would be hard if you are not playing your best so I would strictly employ the 10 step rule, hit a shot take 10 steps to think about it then relax until you need to take your next shot. Keeping in mind that you can only influence the future and not the past so don’t dwell.

Have a great few rounds.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Not sure of the rules etc....

but isn't there something about playing the course before a competition not allowed. You will have a distinct advantage for the 2nd comp as you will know the pin placements and green speed etc etc.

as I said not entirely sure if this is accurate, or indeed correct, but you might need to make sure.

Good luck anyway.

John.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Thanks for the clarification Stuart.

Not sure if the matches were both noted as matchplay. Some of our club knockout comps are medal play along with matchplay.

John.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a medal/matchplay competition as well.

Nobody is quite sure what category that falls into. Does anybody know?

If i am playing in it, i just stay away from the course for safety sake

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm tired.

Won 1st one, Lost 2nd one.
I must say that weariness did creep into my second match, but I have a feeling I might have lost it anyway as the guy was a fabulous golfer (off 3)
I though I had a him a couple of times, as I was playing really well, but he always did enough to get the ball in the hole. The bugger.
Ah well, never mind, 2 singles and a doubles left to play for.

With regards to the ruling, I was playing matchplay on two different courses today.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unluckly, well done for playing two matches anyhow!

Sometimes it's mentally hard enough playing one!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm glad you got through the day, and overall its not a bad result either. Plus the match you lost was probably not against someone who had completed 18 holes previously so give yourself a pat on the back for giving him a match anayway and not taking the easy option and conceeding, sounds like he didn't have it easy either.

And now you have done it for yourself, what worked for you in terms of maintaining energy and concentration levels etc?